Sight Alignment - Help Pls.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

andrew53

Sight Alignment - Help Pls.

Post by andrew53 »

Air Pistol.

Lately I have been locking the sights, arm, grip and wrist, above the target, where the front and rear sights are more visible in the white of the target.

Then lowering the pistol, through the black, to a sub-6 hold.

The lowering of the pistol from above the target to the final sub-6, for me causes the sights to go out of alignment
and the resulting shot if taken to be too low.

Is there a solution to this or is this just the wrong way to "set-up" a shot ?

Tks.
David Levene

Re: Sight Alignment - Help Pls.

Post by David Levene »

If you're setting up above the target then you need the front sight to be higher than the rear sight (experience will tell you how much).

As you ten lower to your aiming area, with the wrist locked, the front sight will drop to its proper alignment.

It's all because the eye is higher than the arm's pivot point (the shoulder).
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your grips don't fit right and you're looking at the target instead of the front sight.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Hello Andrew53

It is all about seeing and focusing on the front sight. If your eyesight is such that you can focus on the front sight (I mean really see the front sight perfectly clear) then it will help this process if you take the time to "black" both the front and rear sights with the flame from a small candle. This will help in differentiating between the absolute black of the sights and what should be a dark grey target bull. This small difference in blackness will help you retain concentration and focus on the front sight.

If you are having trouble focusing on the front sight, then aome type of shootng glasses may be in order. I generally recommend +0.5 diopter added to your normal distance vision prescription.

You might also try aligning your sights while your arm is at the ready position (45 degree angle) and actually lock your wrist at that point. If as you raise your arm to above the targe the sights do not naturally align with the target bull, then lower your arm, move your rear foot as required to get a correct Natural Position of Aim (NPA). Each time you check, lock your wrist before raising your arm. The last thing you want to do is break your wrist lock to align with the target. Move your body and not your wrist.

The earlier suggestion of starting with your front sight slightly high is sound advice.

Good ahooting!
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

Tks. to all for the sound advice, appreciate it.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

For me, I focus on the rear sight and move my focus to the front sight. As others have said, it is critical that the front sight be in sharp focus. For me, it is easier to shift my focus to the screws on my back sight and move to the front sight. So when I shoot both the rear sight and the target are a little fuzzy, but front sight is sharp. It is, and may always be, a work in progress.

Chip
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

I would have thought I was focusing on the front sight.
But it now appears that my focus is not 100%.
Are known focus exercises ?
Tks. for that.

Tks. Chip for the rear/front sight method. I need to try that.

Is it possible to get some elaboration on " your grips don't fit right "
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Is it possible to get some elaboration on " your grips don't fit right "

Certainly. You can try this: Face a blank wall. Close your eyes and raise the pistol until you think you have the right hold and elevation. Open your eyes (you should have a blinder on the non-aiming eye). The sights should be somewhere close to being aligned. Do this several times to see if the alignment error that you see is consistent. If it is, grind your grips until you fix it. After a while do this with your eyes open to fine tune the fit.
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

Thank-you Rover - helpful and much appreciated.
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

watch this, I use this as my shot process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_r6lAIkDM