Non-aiming eye....current school of thought?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xman

Non-aiming eye....current school of thought?

Post by Xman »

will be purchasing a new ISSF reg 30mm non aiming eye blinder from a well known Canadian supplier via its web site linked to the major auction site.

The dealer has both black and frosted (flip mechanism is oddly black on the frosted might be self defeating for the purpose though.)

the price is the same for either.

would not the black mechanism be distracting on the frosted one?

Any feedback from the forum readers on black vs white?

Thanks
Gregbenner

Re: Non-aiming eye....current school of thought?

Post by Gregbenner »

I just purchased one in white opaque. I like it, the more light the better. However, I’ve never tried one in black.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Gregbenner wrote:I just purchased one in white opaque. I like it, the more light the better. However, I’ve never tried one in black.

Greg,

was it a 30mm version or the full lens coverage and was the flip part also white too?

Steve
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Xman wrote:
Gregbenner wrote:I just purchased one in white opaque. I like it, the more light the better. However, I’ve never tried one in black.

Greg,

was it a 30mm version or the full lens coverage and was the flip part also white too?

Steve
I got the opaque

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774 ... UTF8&psc=1
spektr

Post by spektr »

Buy the Opaque one, you can always stick black electrical tape to it to see what that feels like......
william

Post by william »

Rover always suggests drinking it into a stupor. No idea how he keeps it from interfering with his dominant eye.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The eyes tend to work in pairs.

If one eye is blocked from the light it will dilate to compensate.

The other eye will also dilate to keep up with the blocked eye.

Result is eye strain with the shooting eye from receiving too much light.

In summary, go with the translucent blinder.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

The eyes tend to work in pairs.

If one eye is blocked from the light it will dilate to compensate.

The other eye will also dilate to keep up with the blocked eye.

Result is eye strain with the shooting eye from receiving too much light.

In summary, go with the translucent blinder.

Cheers,

Dave
A good way to go is to use glasses with two lenses. Particularly if you have corrections in your lens.
Helps keep eye fatigue very even and reduce strain.
To occlude the non-shooting eye, use Scotch Magic Tape for a nice opaque finish.
samg

Post by samg »

I think the tape works better then the blinder. You only need to cover the top inside quarter of the lens next to your nose. The rest of the lens remains clear. after a few tries you know exactly where to place it. Cheers...
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

I bought some cheap reading glasses that allow a good clear front sight but also give a good target view.
Then placed the translucent tape in the corner of the non-shooting eye lens.
If anything works better I'll try that for sure.
But vision is not my current reason I can't hold 60 x 10.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Translucent is better than black opaque, you need the light entering your eyes to be balanced and representative of ambient light levels, or the pupil in the open eye will open too much
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

samg wrote:I think the tape works better then the blinder. You only need to cover the top inside quarter of the lens next to your nose. The rest of the lens remains clear. after a few tries you know exactly where to place it. Cheers...
I used tape for the last couple of years. It works very well as long as you are comfortable doing all the other functions and procedures of shooting with one eye essentially taped over (for example loading the magazines, perhaps adjusting sights, etc. etc.). I found that I was not, and therefore was repeatedly taking the glasses off and setting them down while I did something else. For that reason, I like the flip up. YMMV
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

[quote="Gregbenner"][quote="samg"]I think the tape works better then the blinder. You only need to cover the top inside quarter of the lens next to your nose. The rest of the lens remains clear. after a few tries you know exactly where to place it. Cheers...[/quote]

I used tape for the last couple of years. It works very well as long as you are comfortable doing all the other functions and procedures of shooting with one eye essentially taped over (for example loading the magazines, perhaps adjusting sights, etc. etc.). I found that I was not, and therefore was repeatedly taking the glasses off and setting them down while I did something else. For that reason, I like the flip up. YMMV[/quote]

I have been using a 30mm translucent flip-up blinder but recently decided to replace it when shooting AP because I had to flip it up after every shot to be able to clearly see loading the next pellet into my FWB, the blinder became a PITA and a time waster.
I have tried tape but settled on just peeling off a white/buff target sticker patch, easy to place or move when you have/want to for 25 & 50m. and allows you to be clearly aware of your surroundings, YMMV but it works for me. 10s John
prowling

Post by prowling »

Many moons ago—as in, the mid-'80s—I decided to try a translucent blinder on my non-dominant eye. This, after years of using a black blinder for that purpose. I couldn't find one locally, and being that I was (and am) a Scot, decided that I would MacGyver something instead. So I took a pair of scissors to a plastic gallon milk jug, and cut out the correct shape for my sight picture. Viola!

I've been using the same thing ever since—with a gradual reduction in overall width—at a total additional cost of $0 (to my regular grocery budget).

Caveat lector: Your results may vary.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I use Scotch easy removable tape, it leaves no residue. When I put it on the lens I fold under one end and leave a little flap so I can remove it easily.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin