Hämmerli AP20 Pro - reliable?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jens_ms

Hämmerli AP20 Pro - reliable?

Post by jens_ms »

I have been shooting rimfire for quite some time now, and have come to the conclusion that being able to train at home could be quite beneficial. I have been looking at different PCP air pistols.

I most likely will not actually compete with it, but rather use it to train generel shooting / trigger technique for when I compete with rimfire, so having the best of the best is not really essential.

Steyr LP10 : seems to be very popular, but also expensive. Even second-hand prices are quite steep in Denmark
Steyr LP50 : 5 shot semi-auto, probably fun to shoot but looks like the trigger always has relatively high amount of creep - so probably not the best for 10m shooting
Pardini K12 : from what I could find, the trigger is superb, as well as recoil absorption. Price is slightly lower than a Steyr LP10 as well

I also noticed a Hämmerli AP20 pro, which is only about 60% the cost of a pardini K12. Surely, the trigger etc. is not as good on the Hämmerli, but then again it is probably still quite "useable".
Since there are no dealers in Denmark selling the AP20 pro I would have to import it from Germany, seriously complicating returns if it breaks.

I am undecided between the pardini and the hämmerli. The pardini might be superior, but I just dont know if I can justify spending that magnitude of wealth on an air pistol that I probably wont use in competitions anyway.

This leads me to the question of importance: has anyone used one of the Hämmerli air pistols, who could comment on the reliability?
I dont even know how much could break on a single-shot air pistol, but I am guessing it would be the pressure regulator?

Best regards
Timberwerks

Re: Hämmerli AP20 Pro - reliable?

Post by Timberwerks »

I've had mine now for about 3 or 4 months, have shot about 3,000 shots and have had no problems. I think the quality is actually very good, it's accurate, consistent & trigger feels great. The grip is very nice as well. I did question the use of a roll pin in the pressure reducer nipple that is used to depress the valve in the cylinder vs a machined nipple. Just a cost factor is what it comes down to, that and there is some plastic in areas that would be metal on higher priced pistols. I have recently upgraded to a Steyr EVO10 and at first I thought I would sell the AP20 Pro to offset the cost of the Steyr but I will keep the AP20, it's a nice pistol and I'm happy to own it. No regrets.
andrew53

Post by andrew53 »

I also have a Hammerli AP20pro, owned for about 1 year before buying "my last pistol" a Steyr EVO 10e 8 months ago.

Hammerli AP20pro - reliable, just tightened some screws after a few months.
Had grip problems, my fault, being new to the sport didn't know what I needed,
and didn't know what I didn't need.
Sights are good, grips are good - get the right size.
Front sight has 3 widths whereas the Steyr has only a single width.
Nice 2 stage adjustable trigger.
Comes with 1 cylinder, not usually a problem.
Occasionally, I used a touch of white lithium grease on the cylinder seal.

Was also thinking of selling it - but still have it. I should dig it out and see how it
shoots after using the Steyr for 8 months.

How this helps.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Steyr has good support. They have always replied to my e-mail questions.

Let's say you buy a used one for 1000 EUR. You shoot it for a year or two and decide to sell it. There is a good chance you may ask 1000 EUR.

So, in summary, it would be like shooting it for the cost of air and pellets.

Of course, this is all based on keeping the pistol in good condition.

Cheers,

Dave
j-team

Post by j-team »

fc60 wrote:
Let's say you buy a used one for 1000 EUR. You shoot it for a year or two and decide to sell it. There is a good chance you may ask 1000 EUR.
That's the same point I was going to make. Your resale value on the Steyr will be very good and quite good on the Pardini. But not so good on the AP20.

I have owned Steyr (LP2, LP10 and LP10e) and they are well made and reliable. I have also had Pardinis (K2 and K10) and never had any problems with those either. I haven't owned a Hammerli AP20 but have shot one a bit, they don;t have as good a trigger and they feel cheap in the hand compare the "proper" match air pistols and really they are best suited to juniors as a teaching tool.
Brian Perkins

Post by Brian Perkins »

The haughty mite who rated the AP20 Pro as having a poor trigger and implied that it felt "cheap" in the hand is very like those nose in the air types who in the audiophile community declare that one cannot obtain pure sound without spending 25,000 dollars or more. It's poppycock and he obviously loves to hear himself fulminate in a most irritating manner. The AP20 pro is a fine pistol designed to appeal to beginning and intermediate shooters.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Please, save us from that kind of harassment.
The AP20 Pro may be a favorable "entry-AP", but according to my experiences, the trigger is not as god av that of the Steyr LP 10s.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Brian Perkins wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:06 am It's poppycock and he obviously loves to hear himself fulminate in a most irritating manner.
Wow, that's some statement coming from someone who's only just joined the forum and has started off by being border-line abusive to another member.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

It is an awesome gun. I started with it and had a great experience for thousands of shots. I'm the unreliable element, not the gun
Ramon
Rover

Post by Rover »

Never mind that spendy stuff!

What you want is a FWB 65; they're cheap.

The features you need are built in: a heavy or light trigger with the flip of a switch. No recoil or "normal" recoil by screwing on a small part.

Very accurate and repairable. Replaceable grips of different types.

Did I mention easily obtainable and CHEAP!

Don't forget that with the Hammerli you would also have to buy compressed air equipment.
Last edited by Rover on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken-Farmer

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

What rimfire pistol discipline are you shooting? For bullseye the grip on most precision 10M Air Pistols will be very different. The Steyr LP-50 has a 1911 grip that can be installed.
I own an LP-50 and my daughter and I put 6-8000 pellets a month through it shooting silhouette and falling plates.

In the past I owned a Steyr LP-10 and had no problems. I liked the LP-10 but longed for a red dot and multiple shots. The LP-50 fit those requirements and is still a fine pistol. Not a glass break trigger, but certainly not a trigger full of creep. The trigger is very predictable.

It all comes down to personal preference. Hammerli has a good reputation in the rimfire bullseye world. I have never owned a hammerli airgun.

Not everyone owns precision airguns to compete with. Some, like me, enjoy them for what they are. I like nice things and dont mind paying for quality. I have always bought used. In the precision airgun world "used" essentially means new. There are no warranties, or very limited warranties on new. For the most part folks take better care of "expensive" purchases. The benefit of buying used is the significant savings
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jens_ms wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 amSince there are no dealers in Denmark selling the AP20 pro I would have to import it from Germany, seriously complicating returns if it breaks.
The Hämmerli AP20 Pro is essentially a Walther, it's nowhere near as popular as the Steyr and hasn't won medals in international airpistol matches, that maybe the reason why so many people are bashing the brand.

There is a importer in Denmark that may help you out:

Karlslunde Sport

Margrethe Alle
DK - 2690 Karlslunde
Denmark

Telefon: 0045-46-161670
Telefax: 0045-46-151690

Products distributed by this dealer
• Hämmerli