Rimfire dryfireing and snap caps

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

hengehold

Rimfire dryfireing and snap caps

Post by hengehold »

I tried searching for this topic and was not able to find anything in this forum. Can anyone recommend a good snap cap for use with a 22 rimfire ? I thought that I read a post somewhere that suggested the use of a certain type of wall anchor that would fit just right. Can anyone help me out with this identification of what wall anchor might fit and what would work best? The snap Options that I have seen at the local sporting good stores appear to be all Plastic And I am afraid that they would come apart when hit with the firing pin. Which would leave plastic debris in the pistol. Your recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

-Trevor
fc60

Re: Rimfire dryfireing and snap caps

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

My friend gave me a small packet of wall anchors.

They are plastic and are very close to the size of a 22lr cartridge. Especially the rim.

They feed from the magazine, as well.

Cheers,

Dave
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

It's the yellow wall anchors:
https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-370326-R ... ll+anchors
The Hillman Group 370326 Ribbed Plastic Anchor, 4-6-8 X 7/8-Inch, Yellow, 100-Pack

These will start to get a bit torn up after a while, so I replace them after 10 shots or so to prevent plastic debris from being generated. I try to rotate them around so the firing pin doesn't hit the same spot every time. I've also used spent casings, but they can be a pain to chamber because they don't have any lead-in.

marky-d
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

marky-d wrote:It's the yellow wall anchors:
https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-370326-R ... ll+anchors
The Hillman Group 370326 Ribbed Plastic Anchor, 4-6-8 X 7/8-Inch, Yellow, 100-Pack

These will start to get a bit torn up after a while, so I replace them after 10 shots or so to prevent plastic debris from being generated. I try to rotate them around so the firing pin doesn't hit the same spot every time. I've also used spent casings, but they can be a pain to chamber because they don't have any lead-in.

marky-d
++ What he said.
#4 Drywall Anchors --- you can find them at just about any home improvement store.

Those with KK-500s especially - DO NOT dryfire w/o something like this
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

I generally find any snap caps for .22 dry firing pretty useless, whether made from plastic or aluminium. They just wear too fast for any meaningful training. I resolved this problem by making an insert that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

shaky hands wrote:I generally find any snap caps for .22 dry firing pretty useless, whether made from plastic or aluminium. They just wear too fast for any meaningful training. I resolved this problem by making an insert that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin.
See this thread (http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=20366) for a block that works on the S&W 41. I suspect something similar could be made for other pistols.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

shaky hands wrote:I generally find any snap caps . . . made from plastic or aluminium.
The aluminum ones are counter productive. We use snap caps to save the firearm from wear and tear. The aluminum ones are NOT snap caps. They are "action proving dummies" used to manually cycle the gun to simulate for function. Using these as snap caps is misusing the product and harmful to the firearm. That anodized aluminum round is much harder than the soft hollow brass case.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOOM-Action-Prov ... B000AU1TK0
shaky hands wrote:I resolved this problem by making an insert that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin.
A way better option!
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Depending on the type of your gun is may be possible to insert a .22 shell to keep the slide open. The hammer will then hit the slide very lightly. No risk of damaging the firing fin nor slide. Works perfectly with Hammerli (except 208), Walther GSP or FAS.
Good shooting
Guy