Question for UK shooters

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TomAmlie

Question for UK shooters

Post by TomAmlie »

I have a question for shooters from the UK. I don't want to get into whether this is good, bad, or indifferent, or whether people like it or not. I'm simply interested in an accurate portrayal of current law. I was having a discussion with another person on this topic, and with neither of us having a solid understanding we weren't getting too far.

My understanding is that under UK law, the following are prohibited:

Handguns, unless barrel length >30 cm and overall length >60 cm.
Semi-automatic or pump action centerfire rifles.
Shotguns maximum 3 round capacity, including the one in the chamber

Is this a fair summary of the primary restrictions? Is it possible for an "average person" to get a dispensation from the government so that they could own one of these "prohibited weapons"?
Tim S

Re: Question for UK shooters

Post by Tim S »

1 and 2 yes. Higher capacity shotguns are permitted, but are regulated as section 1 firearms, requiring a Firearms Certificate rather than a Shotgun Certificate. FACs have a more stringent application, and require "good reason", which for target shooting would be membership of a appropriate club; FACs also permit purchase of a specific number/calibre, whereas SGCs allow as many as you can securely store.

Breech-loading pistols under 60cm total length/30cm barrel are technically Section 5, where permission to grant falls to the Home Secretary rather than the local police. Some S.5 have been granted, particularly to Team GB members before the Olympics. Pre-1919 pistols in certain obscure calibres are permitted as Section 7. Antique muzzle-loaders can be owned without an FAC as collectibles, but an FAC is required if held for shooting.

I'm not aware of any grants for s/a or pump centrefire to regular shooters. Some Registered Firearms Dealers have section 5 status, and may well have some as stock.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Breech-loading pistols under 60cm total length/30cm barrel are technically Section 5, where permission to grant falls to the Home Secretary rather than the local police. Some S.5 have been granted, particularly to Team GB members before the Olympics. Pre-1919 pistols in certain obscure calibres are permitted as Section 7. Antique muzzle-loaders can be owned without an FAC as collectibles, but an FAC is required if held for shooting.
The main reason for which Section 5 Authority is granted for breech loading pistols is Humane Despatch, but they are normally (almost always) limited to 3 shot capacity. Some veterinary surgeons have them for use in circumstances where it would be unsafe for them to try to use a captive bolt pistol. Some deer stalkers have them for despatch of injured quarry, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I hear anecdotally that they are being carried more frequently when stalking wild boar, but don't quote me on that one. Finally there is Northern Ireland where it is still possible to possess an Section 5 pistol and for certain people to have one for the purpose of self-protection.

To illustrate how absurd the law can be, we had a member of our club who was a GB Squad member allowed a permit to to possess a S5 pistol. She was 17 years of age, had a driving licence and her father had fixed a lockable container in the of her car boot to allow her to transport it securely. So she could travel the country to training sessions on her own with a cartridge pistol but could not come to the club on her own with her 6 ft/lb air pistol because she was under 18 years. In the latter case she had to be accompanied by a person over 21 years. We have the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (VCRA) to thank for that gem!

Rutty
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Thanks, gentlemen.

If a semi-automatic centerfire handgun with a barrel > 30cm and an overall length >60 cm is allowed, what distinguishes that from a semi-automatic centerfire rifle? Is it simply the presence or absence of a shoulder stock? I've seen pictures of handguns with rods built onto the rear of the grip to attain the overall length of 60 cm, but it seems that functionally there's very little to separate that from a rifle.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

S/A long barreled (60/30) arms are only permitted in. 22 rimfire calibres, just like rifles. You could have other calibres in a revolver or single shot, but not a semi-auto.

Fundamentally rifles are meant to be fired from the shoulder, whereas pistols are hand held.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Conversely, in Australia this is what a pistol looks like, semi-auto 22 rifles being banned.
Not sure exactly which ISSF event this chap is planning to enter but hey...