New here, Hammerli 215 owner

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mark_2018

New here, Hammerli 215 owner

Post by Mark_2018 »

Well new on the forum here, looking hard to find a forum with owners of the Hammerli 215/208 and came across this one.

My 215 is from 1978 if I am correct, just bought it of a friend of mine who had to make place because we are only allowed 5 guns max. over here.

he made nice scores with it, 180 on a bad day and 190+ on a good day at 25Meters so I will be glad if I can get scores in 180 on a good day.

Hope you dont mind spelling mistakes or typo's, Englisch is not my native tongue.

Mark
Black_Talon

Re: New here, Hammerli 215 owner

Post by Black_Talon »

Welcome to TT Mark!

If you're limited to just a few guns, the Hammerli is a great choice for a 22. They shoot great, and it should last forever. Enjoy it!
Mark_2018

Post by Mark_2018 »

Thanks, I shot a lot of different .22LR at the club, loved the old browing they had from the '70's also shot .22LR like the buckmark.
The old browning sadly broke and could not be repaired.

Rules and regulations are very strickt over here(wish I lived in the USA), have to pass a turough background test(they also check fammily members and so on), after one year you can own your own gun, only one .22LR gun or rifle(no semi automatic rifle) and it must be something that is also done on the olympics, so I mainly shoot one handed 25meter on a paper target.

The prices over here are much cheaper than in the USA, it is not rare to see a 208/215 for sale for arround $350 usdollar or cheaper, I bought mine including 2 mags for far less, but it came from a friend of mine who wanted me to compete with a good gun so I was very happy to buy this gun.

untill now there is only one problem, me, at least my big hands, they do not fit the grips so the comming project is making my own wood grips.
I can squeeze my hand in the grip but its much too tight, this will be a fun project because I never made grips for a gun before.

spare parts are rare, and I heard that the firing pin can snap so I am looking to buy a spare one if I can find it cheap, altough I have a small lathe I dont think making that myself will be an option.

So far I like the gun, build quality and trigger is very good.
Leon

Post by Leon »

HI Mark - welcome to this forum.

You will make many friends here !

Out of interest, what European country are you from? I am agog at the draconian laws you have there..
Mark_2018

Post by Mark_2018 »

Thanks for the welcome.

I am from the Netherlands, and yes the laws are terrible over here, draconian is a good word for it indeed.

For example you must be a member of an official club, after one year of membership you can ask for a permit, must shoot at least 18 days at an official range every year, must compete in at least 5 olympic style matches every year, gun must be kept in a vault, ammo must be kept in a seperate vault, you can only take your gun in the shortest route from your house to the shooting range (and it can not be any range, you must be invited or a member there), no criminal record (even caught with a few beer behind the wheel of a car will get you in trouble) first year only one .22LR gun, second year everything 9mm or less but no semi automatic rifles, third year everything (no full auto, no silencers) but a max of 5 guns.

if you want to shoot black powder .44 for example you will have to wait 3 years.

And the cops can come to your home at any time to check if your guns are stored according to the law(you must let them in your house), if the cops think you are strange or they dont trust you they can take away your guns and so on, your permit has to be renewed every year.

if you look at what it costs you will have spend $300 us dollar every year without even have fired one shot.

Ah well I suppose it could be worse.......
rfwhatley

Post by rfwhatley »

Mark -
Welcome.

Sounds like it would almost be cheaper to keep the gun in the USA, and then come shoot it on holiday !
Mark_2018

Post by Mark_2018 »

yes if I had a house in the USA everything would me much easyer and I could collect a lot of nice guns in the USA