Quietest 10m air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

truepaganini

Quietest 10m air rifle?

Post by truepaganini »

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a fwb 800 basic, and while I love it its pretty loud shooting indoors. Also there does not seem to be any threading on the barrel allowing for a moderator. I want to be able to shoot in my apartment so I was wondering if there were other options (pcp or otherwise) that are quieter or that are moderator compatible. thanks
Dan Ide

Re: Quietest 10m air rifle?

Post by Dan Ide »

The Daisy 865 or any of the Daisy underlever rifles are all very quiet, very accurate at 10 meters, very cheap to buy and very low velocity so not much of a pellet trap is needed. They come with a 11mm grove on the receiver that takes red dot or normal scope rings, so its easy to put on optics. Its not a FWB or Hammerli, but a darn nice rifle.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

If the barrel is at least 4 inches short of the shroud you can have someone turn down a brass plug to fit inside the shroud with a 5/16 inch hole down the centre. Its called a Plenum insert on some guns. That will make a moderator. A suitable O ring groove will make it a push fit.
It's not match legal though so moderator fittings would not be marketed and not legal in some countries.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Out of interest I Google'd "FWB 800 silencer" and first hit:
https://pimpmyairgun.com/viewtopic.php?t=1865

Have no idea about the different models of FWB, but maybe the linked manufacturer might be helpful.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
truepaganini

Post by truepaganini »

Thanks for the helpful responces, I'll definetely have to check out the plenum inserts to see if that would work with my 800.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

truepaganini wrote:Thanks for the helpful responces, I'll definetely have to check out the plenum inserts to see if that would work with my 800.
In our sport its always worth finding a friend with a lathe.
HainlineR

Post by HainlineR »

may I ask why you need to shoot in your apartment. are you a competitive shooter. because I don't know a truly accurate air rifle that is very quiet. walters are the quietest in my opinion.
TORSI

Post by TORSI »

In my practice, spring-piston match airguns like Anschutz-380, Diana-75,-66 are quietest, CO2 match airguns louder, but quieter than PCP.
With CO2 and PCP rifles I use push in silenser - works great! I made my version like this: https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com/pu ... the-lg400/
I made it shorter (6 chambers, 87 mm total lenght) and it still works fine. On both sides there are threaded holes for pulling out with screw.
P.S. I can email drawing if someone need it - here I cant post the picture.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

TORSI wrote:In my practice, spring-piston match airguns like Anschutz-380, Diana-75,-66 are quietest, CO2 match airguns louder, but quieter than PCP.
With CO2 and PCP rifles I use push in silenser - works great! I made my version like this: https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com/pu ... the-lg400/
I made it shorter (6 chambers, 87 mm total lenght) and it still works fine. On both sides there are threaded holes for pulling out with screw.
P.S. I can email drawing if someone need it - here I cant post the picture.
Nice job. It's what I was suggesting including the O ring but I had just the last inch or so
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

For my Anschutz 8001 I used some appropriate sized brass that fit in the barrel drilled out to .25" that acted as baffles and greatly reduced noise.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I had some free time and Delrin laying around, so I finally got around to making one of these plenum inserts for my FWB 700. I was VERY happily surprised how effective it was. My rifle went from a pretty sharp 'POP', that I was uncomfortable shooting into my garage, to a very reasonable 'Pfth'. Not sure how that converts to dBs...

For reference, mine is arbitrarily about 4" long, with a 1/4" central bore and six or seven 3/8" cross holes (whatever fit). I threaded the end for a 5/16" bolt for removal, and grooved the end for a -013 o-ring (7/16"ID x 9/16"OD). I could be wrong about the o-ring size; I just used something I had on hand and made the groove to fit.

marky-d