V.A. Razorenov - "Handle - a means to achieve higher results

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sa-tevo

V.A. Razorenov - "Handle - a means to achieve higher results

Post by Sa-tevo »

While reviewing links I have added to my research into fitting grips better I ran across the Ukrainian Shooting-UA website and poked around using Google Translate. This article by V. Razorenov caught my interest as I know the Soviet teams were big on grip fitting but the machine translation is confusing.

Does anyone have a better way of translating websites?

http://www.shooting-ua.com/books/book_30.htm

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... EUJKREEmTQ

Any other pointers or links to Soviet target shooting knowledge would be appreciated too.
Sa-tevo

Re: V.A. Razorenov - "Handle - a means to achieve higher res

Post by Sa-tevo »

SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Machine translation has its limits, as you have found. Here is a complete machine translation. All credit to the Author: Анатолий Поддубный
Perhaps we could discuss this piece, and the parts of the text not understood.
The handle is a constructive element of a sports pistol. Consider it as an element of the system "shooter - weapon". The purpose of the handle is to provide a monotonous grip on the weapon, the ability to control the descent without knifking, its maximum stability, and optimize energy costs while keeping the weapon.

However, you often hear from the athletes: "No matter how I try to hold the gun - slips out of my hand", "I can not help it - the fly dies and the hand relaxes," etc. Let's try to understand, taking for example models of some handles.

First, let's look at how a hand of an elongated hand holds objects of different shapes. For clarity, we accept the following conditions: the surface of the objects is smooth, and the palm, in order to be slippery, is highly soaped.

Handle - a means to achieve higher results. Ibragimov Niyaz - repair of the gun on the move. A ball about the size of a billiard is held with the palm of a hand securely, the notch in the middle of the palm is well filled with its sphere. Fingers do not interfere with each other, each one is very rationally located on the surface. The close contact of the palm with the ball - there is almost no gap between them. Lightly squeeze the ball. The contact went up. Efforts from pressing all the elements of the brush came together at one point, somewhere inside the ball.

And now imagine that the index finger does not participate in holding the ball, but presses on the descent. The descent is located somewhat in front of the sphere of the ball, and the axis of descent is 20 mm higher. The pressing force, ultimately through the axis of the descent suspension, is transmitted to the gun body. It is noteworthy how far the main retention zone is located far from the axis of descent, it is not difficult to imagine how, as a result of this, it is easy to bring down the aiming with increasing pressure on the descent.

The "pair of forces" familiar from the school bench: one end of the "pair" somewhere in the center of the main containment zone, the second - on the axis of the trigger. Pistol grips, built on this model, are very insidious in that they are comfortable to hold in your hand. But during the shooting, the "remoteness" of the main containment zone from the massive part of the pistol located relatively to the top begins to be felt. To compensate for the lack of management of this mass, the index finger is unconsciously connected. Simultaneously with the pressure on the descent, he is involved in keeping the weapon in this case. When shooting from pistols with such handles at competitions, the results are unstable and lower than training.

Cylinder diameter 45 mm, height 150 mm can be taken by hand slightly lower, slightly higher. Contact with the surface is good, but there is no fixation in height. In the center of the palm, there is a void. Imagine a pistol with a handle of a cylindrical shape, like a handle of a shovel. It can be taken as you like, but at the same time, there is a lack of support points for a monotonous grip.

Cone (truncated) with a base diameter of 60 mm, diameter of the upper section of 40 mm and a height of 150 mm. When the grip is strengthened, it is squeezed out towards the base. There is a tight contact of the palm rest with the upper part or the lower edge of the palm (depending on how the cone is gripped - down or up the base).

The cone is an advantageous form. If the generatrix part of the handle is a cone, then this helps the monotonous fixation of the pistol in the hand under all other conditions. Handle as it were "sticks" in the hand. This property of conical shape was discovered long ago and used by firearms designers. At the duelling pistols of the beginning of the XIX century, especially with the arms of Colt and Smith and Wesson, the design of the arms clearly shows the conical shape with the bottom down. In this case, the effect of the "pair of forces" between the main holding area of ​​the handle and the axis of the descent suspension, even if there were significant pull down times, is structurally minimized. The location of the main containment zone at the top of the handle causes the gun to sit deeper into the hand. The control of the gun with this hold becomes noticeably better.

Cylinder with neck diameter of 60 mm and a height of 200 mm. We make it in the middle much already, with a diameter of 45 mm, and we centre it from the ends so that two truncated cones are obtained. The capture of such a figure with a brush will be fixed in height due to the fact that the main zone of confinement coincides with the "neck" of the cylinder. Pistol grips of this type are often found. The disadvantage is that the "neck" does not allow the arm to climb up to close contact with the upper lip of the handle.

Often, the arrows complain that the gun "falls out" of the hands. Here, the volume of pulp in the "fork" (part of the palm between the thumb and forefinger) increases with the handle, forming a "bump". This is a thickening and pushes the gun. There are other reasons. Imagine a horizontal cross-section of the handle in the area of ​​the stop in the "fork". Most handles have in this place a shape close to the blade, with the point pointed to the stop in the "fork". Of course, even small lateral forces help to squeeze out the handle.

The semicircular generator also does not solve the retention problem. A good rectangular shape with rounded corners. And do not do it in the area of ​​the stop is too narrow. A thickness of 25 mm is normal for an average or even a small male hand. The fact is that it is in the "fork", basically, that the action of bestowal is perceived. If it concentrates on a small area, the nervous system strains slightly more in anticipation of impact from recoil, which contributes to the formation of harmful conditioned reflexes.

To reduce the effect of recoil in the front of the shelf for the thumb, there should be no stop. It is necessary that the shelf is about 5 mm longer than the finger. The transition from the support for the tenar to the thumbboard should be soft, without an explicit angle, which could be a stab at recoil. If the handle has a notch, then on the shelves of the tenar and the thumb, only a longitudinal notch is allowed. Of course, this rule does not apply to the handles of pneumatic pistols. All that is said here about the reasons for "squeezing" the pistol out of hand, requires particularly serious attention. The central nervous system is extremely sensitive to changes in tone in any part of the body. As a result, even a slight change in the tone of the cyst can lead to disruption in the posture (preform). For all models of modern sports pistols, the center of mass is located in front of the point of support of the handle on the middle finger. Under gravity, the gun tends to "tip over" around this fulcrum. What will compensate for the "trim" formed when holding the gun?

Unfortunately, most of the pistols used in competitions have handles that are held by the hand in the desired position with the help of the so-called "fungus", which adversely affects the aiming quality.

And now pay attention to the arms of our record holders, the world's strongest pistols. They were made by masters A. Dadonov, V. Trelosky, N. Ibrahimov, A. Danilov, V. Sorokin. These handles are simple, they may not fit the other arrows in detail (size, angle), but for grip and stability the flies are unanimously rated highly, in the hand they "sit." How can you explain that they like most of the shooters? The explanation is unequivocal: these are the handles of a fundamentally correct shape. They are held by the brush in such a way that the problems listed at the beginning of the article most fully solve the problem. The vector from descent pressure passes through the main containment zone, which is in good agreement with the balance of the weapon. In this zone and near it there is that contact surface, which keeps the gun from "tipping" forward and downwards and reliably compensates for the "trim". "Fungus" plays an auxiliary role here, it only partially takes on the supporting function and basically contributes to the monotony of the grasp.

In the types of shooting, where the pull of the descent is relatively large (MP-10, MP-5 and RP-5), often the handle with a "fungus" is much smaller than the size allowed by the rules. And sometimes and completely without a "fungus", as, for example, the handle of the TOZ-49 revolver of the honored master of sports V. Turly. With this revolver V. Turla won the European Championship in 1981, the 1982 World Cup, set the USSR record - 598 points, knocked out 300 out of 300 points in a circle.

The contact area of ​​the handle with a hand that prevents tipping is located at the upper rear of the male surface. It forms an inclined front-back platform from the "fork" between the thumb and forefinger to the base of the tenar. The lower rear part of the male surface also has a slight emphasis for the lower part of the palm and is involved in retaining the weapon. The shape of the handle in the middle section (in the region of the middle finger) is an ellipse.

It is generally believed that the middle of the staple - the line of the connector of the cheeks - should be in the middle of the second phalanx of the middle finger. The phalanx is located perpendicular to the frame of the pistol. On the left, the nail phalanx of the holding fingers is cut so that the ends of these phalanges do not have contact with the handle. Because it is noticed: sometimes fingers "earn additionally", knocking down a tip. The support pad for the middle finger should not be semicircular. It is better to make it in the form of a flat eaves, which, in conjunction with the body of the handle, have a radius of about 4 mm. The large radius of the interface and the semicircular shape of the support pad contribute to the relaxation of the brush with the slightest shift of attention. Under the action of gravity, the handle "slides" from the original position to the most advantageous for the given shape.

Zones of support on the middle finger, the regiment for the thumb and the area of ​​the interface of the body of the handle with the "fungus" along its entire length should be designed for a spontaneously contracting and not relaxed brush. Perhaps the best method of control is to imagine a slippery hand, soapy. Will it clamp all points to the working surface, will it retain its position after the shot?

Perhaps the readers will have an idea - is not it better if instead of reasoning the author will give a drawing of a handle with dimensions? I often had to make reference samples of handles to various models of sports pistols and revolvers for our factories. Very good engineers made templates on them and very good modellers did ... bad handles. They were similar, it's true. But the arrows were unhappy with them. In order not to be mistaken in the handle, it is necessary to choose the correct form and to carry out an individual fit. A highly qualified master confirmed that two absolutely identical handles do not work.

I advise athletes when meeting at competitions with strong arrows to look for the handles of such pistols, from which high results were shown, records were set. Ask to remove the right cheek and on the piece of the target, press the outline of the connector with your finger. This is the initial document for markup. The rest can be finished or photographed and measured. Well, if you and the champion have a gun of the same model. And if not - do not despair. Find a way to make your handle the same way, taking into account the difference in size and angles.

Statistics show that the results of shooting from a pistol with a new, competently executed handle become stable after one and a half to two seasons. So, the handle for Alexander Melentyev on his match pistol was made in 1973 and since then the chisel has never touched it.

The shape of the handle for Igor Bakalov's high-speed pistol was selected in 1964. Shooter became six-time champion of the USSR. The handle looks old, but untouched. It served as a prototype for the arms of V. Torshin, V. Tokarev, A. Kuzmin, I. Puzyrev.

The champion of the competition "Friendship-84" A. Kuzmin, the author of the absolute record in high-speed shooting, for 16 years, changed only three pistols, carefully transferring the shape of the handle from one model to another. After adjustment, the handles were never cut.

Author: Anatoly Poddubny
Image Image
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Here's my attempt at one little section; namely paragraph 18:
"It is generally believed that the middle of the staple - the line of the connector of the cheeks - should be in the middle of the second phalanx of the middle finger. The phalanx is located perpendicular to the frame of the pistol. On the left, the nail phalanx of the holding fingers is cut so that the ends of these phalanges do not have contact with the handle. Because it is noticed: sometimes fingers "earn additionally", knocking down a tip. The support pad for the middle finger should not be semicircular."

My edited version would read as:
It is generally believed that the seam between the two halves of the grip (on a two-part grip such as for the TOZ) - should be in the middle of the second phalanx of the middle finger. The phalanx is located perpendicular to the frame of the pistol. On the left side (for right-handed shooters), the part of the grip that would contact the terminal phalanx is beveled away from the fingers, so that the ends of these phalanges do not have contact with the handle. Because it is known that the fingertips exert sideways pressure, moving the grip and the gun. The support pad for the middle finger should not be semicircular.
j-team

Post by j-team »

"the fly dies and the hand relaxes"

I've always suspected that was happening!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

By searching Russian terms for "brush", I believe that the best approximation intended here would be "cluster", meaning the grip; not the pistol grip (the 'handle'), but the gripping action of the hand. It seems to fit wherever 'brush' is being used. Also, I wonder if "fungus" would be better translated as "mushroom", some part of the grip that "mushrooms" outwardly. Given the context, it might be referring to the palm shelf, but I find it odd that the author believes it has a bad influence on aiming. Finally, for now, "arrow" clearly refers to master shooters, or crack shots, or expert marksmen.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

j-team wrote:"the fly dies and the hand relaxes"

To keep the grip uniformly firm holding the sights in alignment , the fly must be kept alive at all costs , until at least after the follow through ?

Why do I suspect that these notes are a bit dated ? Or is talk of pistol grips timeless because the anatomy of the hand is constant ?

3D Printing is now a reality ... Soon we can have grips made to measure once the technology is applied to grip manufacture .
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I wonder if that's the same Razorenov who assisted Khaidurov with the design of the XP-86 (= AW93) .et al?
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:I wonder if that's the same Razorenov who assisted Khaidurov with the design of the XP-86 (= AW93) .et al?
I found the article while exploring the Shooting-UA website for anything about Efim Khaidurov. Razorenov was a linked name.

I find the Soviet shooting history fascinating. I blame visiting the Soviet pavilion at the Montreal Expo as a kid. They had a air rifle range. The Iranian pavilion was boring and mostly rugs.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:I wonder if that's the same Razorenov who assisted Khaidurov with the design of the XP-86 (= AW93) .et al?
Yes he is the same. He modified my grip for me when I was shooting in Moscow in 1979. He was also a very accomplished conjuror.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Elmas wrote:

To keep the grip uniformly firm holding the sights in alignment , the fly must be kept alive at all costs , until at least after the follow through ?

Why do I suspect that these notes are a bit dated ? Or is talk of pistol grips timeless because the anatomy of the hand is constant ?

3D Printing is now a reality ... Soon we can have grips made to measure once the technology is applied to grip manufacture .
The technology has been working nicely on grips for a while now:

https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Gwhite wrote:
Elmas wrote:

The technology has been working nicely on grips for a while now:

https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/
I've had a look at the site .
The pics of the various grips share a common feature ; they exude poor quality and a lack of the beauty of some of the high end grips from Morini and Rink and the top manufacturers .
The quality of materials beg the question ; can they be filed down and sanded and modified for a better fit ?

To my mind the ideal would be to have ones hand mapped by a 3D scanner and have a grip printed to ones individual hand .

Those grips , if anything , seem to press the point that choice wood grips are the best !
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Subtraction technologies (CNC routing) have been used successfully for years for grip manufacture.

Rink offers a service where a grip is fitted using a temporary putty (skilled work), scanned with a 3D LIDAR scanner, and the reproduced as a complete piece with a CNC router. It isn't enough to scan a hand/pistol as the interface between the hand is based in human preferences. I could print a grip for about $20.00 at my local Library, but modelling would take hours to produce the model. I think the real strength for 3D printing is in kids where their hands grow quickly enough not to warrant production of a timber grip - possible to make parametric models so the grip can be scaled in different directions with parameters appropriate for the hand.

In terms of filing, the answer depends on the model. The matrix of the plastic can be filled with a structural lattice, in some cases 20% density is okay and you end up with a 'skin' and honeycomb not dissimilar to high performance carbon fibre construction seen in racing yachts. Filing past the skin would be pretty hopeless, but you could make it thick skinned to allow some tuning or make it completely solid.

Some discussion on the topic here:
https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/s ... d-printing
Image Image
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Elmas wrote:I've had a look at the site .
The pics of the various grips share a common feature ; they exude poor quality and a lack of the beauty of some of the high end grips from Morini and Rink and the top manufacturers .
The quality of materials beg the question ; can they be filed down and sanded and modified for a better fit ?

To my mind the ideal would be to have ones hand mapped by a 3D scanner and have a grip printed to ones individual hand .

Those grips , if anything , seem to press the point that choice wood grips are the best !
The team I help coach has about a half dozen grips from PTPG, and they are definitely not "poor quality". Yes, they aren't as aesthetically pleasing to some as a nice chunk of oiled walnut, but they are designed to be extremely functional as a pistol grip, for considerably less money than a Rink, Nil Griffe, or Morini. He can also make grips for pistols Rink doesn't support (like Pardini PGP-75 free pistols). He can duplicate an existing grip that you have filed & puttied to your satisfaction, and the material can be filed, sanded, and puttied just like wood to fine tune the fit. You may like the look of oiled walnut, but others may prefer a wider range of colors, surface textures, etc. He can also do things you could never do in wood, like the ventilated version:

If you want a grip that shoots straight, the PTPG grips are every bit as good as the fancy wood ones. If you want to pay extra for the aesthetics of a nice wood grip, that's entirely up to you.