Scope for 25Y offhand RF?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gregbenner

Scope for 25Y offhand RF?

Post by Gregbenner »

I normally shoot bullseye pistol, but became interested in offhand rifle shooting watching the recent Olympics. Haven't shot a rifle in 20+ years. I have ordered a Kidd 16.5" barreled receiver and a aftermarket heavy stock to accompany me to the local 25 yard indoor range, currently playing with my SIL's old 10/22.

I plan to shoot only indoors at 25 yards and only offhand (standing). I currently have have an older red dot with a 3 or 4 MOA dot currently mounted and it works OK but doesn't seem precise enough with the added accuracy of a rifle. For targets I am using 3" "Shoot N C" targets (similar in size to the 9-10 rings on a A12 target), and the red dot sort of fills the entire target

After some limited research I have decided to try a low power scope, thinking a 1x4 Power, and assume I should get a rifle v. a pistol scope due to the different eye relief?

Initially I'd like to stay under $300, perhaps less.

Most of the articles/comments I have found seem to be for mixed shooting, i.e. both prone and offhand, as well as at mixed distances (25, 50, 100y etc). Because of where I live, I am pretty much limited to the indoors range.

Would appreciate any ideas/thoughts regarding type of scope as well as power, and of course specific brands/models.
Martin H

Re: Scope for 25Y offhand RF?

Post by Martin H »

Many target scopes will struggle to focus down to 25 yards. My 24x Redfield couldn't focus down to 25 yards but my side focus 35x Leopold can. But a 3x-9x scope should focus down to 25yards no problem.
I still occasionally use a 35x power scope for prone at 50m. However too much power is distracting as you can see all the movement and can be hard to trigger the shot. It will be much worse standing.

You will also prob need a scope with parallax adjustment to get the target nicely in focus.

The other issue to watch out for is eye relief, some scopes aren't user friendly when used for target shooting as you can't get the scope far enough forward to give good eye relief. But as you are standing that shouldn't be so much of an issue.
Martin
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

Thx Martin, I'm thinking of a really low power, maybe 1-4x, particularly because the distance is so close( for a rifle).
aggshooter

Post by aggshooter »

Go with a 3-9x. It will cost the same as a 1-4x and you can always turn it down to 3x. Cranking up the power a bit will simply let you see better, with practice you'll want the extra magnification.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

My concern was that on a 3x9 the 3power make it difficult to get a clear (steady) view shooting offhand. Is there a magnification preference for offhand rifle shooting at only 25yards, i.e. not greater?

I may be able to borrow a 3x9.. Hmmm.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Many gallery shooters (50 foot range) use 12-36 power scopes.

Yes, it takes some getting used to not chasing the crosshair, but that is actually an advantage. If you do dry holding exercises (just holding and finding the proper NPA), at 9x, when you turn it down to 3x it'll seem very solid.

We've used higher power scopes for this exercise with juniors who want to muscle the gun into position, and when they finally relax they can see how steady their hold can be.

Try holding on just the target wall or carrier, no target, and letting the rifle settle wherever it wants to. Really "see" how steady it is, making it a picture in your mind. Then when adding the target you know how well you can hold, and usually any excess motion is due to poor NPA. Work on keeping your upper body in the same position while moving your rear foot (VERY slightly) while watching the crosshair and see how it can be moved onto the center of the target. Be sure and do this after fully exhaling, and shooting in the "natural respiratory pause".
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I borrowed a older Leupold 3x9 scope. WOW, you weren't kidding about getting used to it.

Using an old dot sight I was shooting considerably better groups than with the scope, like 3" v 5"! Need lots of practice.

Thanks for the advice Pat!