A query to experienced shooters

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
amarinder

A query to experienced shooters

Post by amarinder »

I am working hard to take my shooting from 570s to 580s. I have realized that pre-shot visualization before every shot is extremely crucial to ensure consistency over series of shots, otherwise the emotions related to shot-result does disturb the muscles stability.

For me there are three important aspects that I am working now:

1. Effortless lowering of gun and stoping in aiming area.
2. Aiming Area Stability.
3. Sight Picture.

At one time, only one aspect can be visualized/worked upon and paid attention to even during imagery before shot. Am I right?

What troubles me is how much time and practise sessions to be dediacted to one of the above mentioned areas before working upon the next?

SECOND IMP QUERY:

Also, since triggering needs to be subsconscious, I cant make triggering part of pre-shot visualization as that will make my mind pay attention to trigger while firing. How to TRAIN MY MIND FOR smooth sub-conscious triggering?
Ramon OP

Re: A query to experienced shooters

Post by Ramon OP »

Can you please share your training to get to 570?
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

The way I include trigger release is the same way I shoot: reach the stop and say to myself 'now I shoot' while augmenting the pressure. The release comes as a mild surprise, but I'm not as experienced as you are.
Ramon
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Hi. Visualisation should be done in 3 ways: through the words, images and feelings. You should try to imagine the whole shot process the way you want it to happen. It takes a lot of time in the beginning, but the beauty of vis-tion is that you can do it almost any time, anywhere. The more you practice it the easier it gets and then you'll be able to reduce the time of it before each shot.
David M

Post by David M »

amarinder wrote:For me there are three important aspects that I am working now:

1. Effortless lowering of gun and stoping in aiming area.
2. Aiming Area Stability.
3. Sight Picture.
I don't believe you can train any of these separately at this level.
You need to put them all together as a complete smooth shot process.

Its like using a computer..
1/ Load the program.... Pick up the pistol, load, fit to hand, use body awareness to take up stance.
2/ Run the program..... Start the shot sequence, lift, breathe, settle into aiming area while acquiring sight picture and starting trigger squeeze. BANG and follow through.
3/ Print results...... Pistol down, relax, check target and compare shot to your follow through image and analyse results.
If at any stage of the shot process you start to think..STOP and abort the shot. Thinking breaks up the process.
It should flow as one smooth sequence lasting about 7 to 10 seconds.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sounds good to me, but I'm beginning to think I'll never get it.
David M

Post by David M »

Maybe a reboot is required...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Nah! I'd just get distracted by all those virgins eagerly awaiting my arrival.

As they ought.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Sportpistol,

I believe you have to integrate those three items. If you are thinking about them as finite items, then you are not allowing your subconscious to deql with it correctly. Remember that the human brain only does 2 things simultaneously, well. Add a third, and it tends to fall apart.

Finally, it is fine to concentrate on finite elements of your shot process while training, but there will come a time when it is time to perform. One of the most valuable items for me is to switch gear from training to performing. When you put on your performance had, if everything works as it should, then your performance will seem effortless.