Rear iris for FWB P70 Alum(new shooter)

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

tony

Rear iris for FWB P70 Alum(new shooter)

Post by tony »

What is the best rear iris for FWB p70 Alum. Can you specify what size & the brand name,the model number please, i am a new shooter. thanks
David

Re: Rear iris for FWB P70 Alum(new shooter)

Post by David »

: First, the type of rifle has no importance on the iris you select. Most important is whether you shoot indoors or outdoors, and with an air rifle, its indoors. I would recommend the Centra 1.8 Basic as a good indoor iris. Sure, you can get colors for the rear iris like the other Centra or Gehmann models, but for indoor it is not all that neccesary.
The link below shows some common irises that are available at Center Shot.com. They will all work except the ones with the magnification, which is not legal under ISSF rules.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have been using the low end (about $50) Gehman and it works fine. I was looking at an AHG Anschutz iris that a buddy of mine has though more closely and I looked at them at camp Perry too. They have a model in the same price range that has a little spring loaded disk on the backside of the iris to hold a blinder. If I were going to buy another I'd get one of these. The AHG's are available with and without this little doodad so you need to make sure to get the one with that feature.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.42753.42737
Katy

Post by Katy »

The problem with a complicated Iris for a new shooter is that you end up spending too much time messing with your iris instead of your position. My advice would be to stick with what came with the rear sight until you have your basics. This is of course if you are shooting in decent light conditions. if you shoot in darker than usual spaces or already have enough experience to have good solid positions of course disreguard this message.
Happy shooting!
Katy
MDriskill

Post by MDriskill »

I agree with Katy where the "extra" features are concerned (polarizer and color filters), but not for the basic need for an adjustable iris, which I consider a necessity to adjust to ambient light conditions.
Gehmann, Centra, and AHG Anschutz all make a basic adjustable-aperture iris unit that is very reasonably priced. Any of 'em would be great.
Go back to Pilkington's main page, click on "Pilkington Competition Index" at the bottom of the page, and then hit the link for "Euro Catalogs." He has the full printed catalogs for Gehmann and AHG on-line. Absolutely too cool to look at!