Primers

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Master

Primers

Post by Master »

Are there any other brands of primers besides Remington, CCI, and Federal? What are the primary differences in manufacture? Which brand is the choice of champions
Matt

Re: Primers

Post by Matt »

There are several other manufacturers of primers. I preferred to use RWS which out-performed all other brands in SD and group size bar none.
However, it is all in the barrel - whatever the barrel 'enjoys' is what counts.
Good luck!
Matt

d_s_s_i-at-hotmail.com.42686.42682
David M

Post by David M »

Other Brands are RWS ,Vihtivouri and Winchester.
All seem to work well, but the Federal primers are used by nearly all who shoot double action revolvers (they are softer than the rest).
These revolvers are well worked over with light trigger pulls and hence light hammer strikes.

Milos Brndiar, M.D.

Post by Milos Brndiar, M.D. »

Federal brand primers MUST NOT be used with my automatic priming tool. Only CCI or Winchester brand primers are recommended (because they are safer). Accident with primer usualy happen only once ...
The most important aspect with primers is not the brand, but the precision with which they are installed.
Should you use Federal primers, be sure that you feed them one at a time.
Please, remember SAFETY FIRST!!!
Enjoy reloading,
Milos
brndiar-at-sinet.sk.42747.42696
Norm

Post by Norm »

I've installed at least four cases of Federal automatically. Just bought my fifth case at Perry this summer. No problems. Precision of installation is definitely the most important factor. CCI seems to have wider tolerances in their diameters, lengths, and roundness than any other I've measured.
Primers really only need to be reliable. The variables of your hold & your trigger pull are so much more than anything the primer contributes, it's almost not worth talking about. As long as the gun goes bang instead of click, be happy.
Norm
nglitz-at-optonline.net.42777.42747