Which Std pistol?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Tacoma

Which Std pistol?

Post by Tacoma »

I apologise if this is a FAQ but I havn't found allot on the topic and figured you guys could help. In looking for a standard pistol in .22 lr. Choices seem to be the S&W 41, Pardini SP, Morini Cm22m, Hammerelly SP20 and the Walther GSP. Reliability ( with target ammo) and a decient trigger are my main concerns. Cost is a consideration but not a huge one.
Can anyone point me towards a web sight that compares the guns? Any modles more problematic than others?
Jim Fabanich

Re: Try them all

Post by Jim Fabanich »

: Most current pistols are of similar quality.
I would recommend that you try as many as you can get your hands on.
For me I tried the Walther GSP, Hammerli SP20, Hammerli 208s, 1911 conversion and the HighStandards. I have settled on the more upright grip of the Hammerli 208s and 1911. These felt best to me but all functioned extremely well with high end ammo.
Good luck in your quest..

jimfabanich-at-comcast.net.42510.42507
Scott H.

Re: Which Std pistol?

Post by Scott H. »

All the guns you listed are fine guns. I've owned, and appreciated all those mentioned.
Among new guns, the Pardini SP is outstanding, and is my recommendation.
But look around for used specimens of these guns, too. I've got 2 FAS 602's in the safe that are both tack drivers, and each was less than a new Model 41. The same can be said for an old, but lovingly cared for, Unique 69U that I came across. Used Hammerlis are excellent, but tend to sell at a premium, not that there's anything wrong with that.
cheers.

fwbaw92-at-msn.com.42511.42507
Patrick

Re: Which Std pistol? - database

Post by Patrick »

Hi Tacoma.
As Scott and Jim have mentioned, they're all pretty good guns. I would rate the S&W 41 at the bottom of the pile though: it's a quality gun but not in the same class as modern competition standard pistols. You'll never see a 41 at a World Cup or the Olympics.
You can compare some technical specs on my website. Costs have been excluded because every dealer can offer different prices. Pardini is the least exensive, and I'd wager that the Hammerli/Walthers are the most expensive. Regardless, with this grade of gun, the cost is high but not prohibitive. Additionally, triggers in this class are quite good with personal preference being the deciding factor.
If you follow the link below, you'll find a database of over 115 different competition arms with pictures and basic (standard) technical specifications. It is a work in progress, and includes pistols and rifles (air and cartridge) used in ISSF style shooting.
Patrick Haynes
TargetShooting Canada
http://www.targetshooting.ca/
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.42513.42507
Mike McDaniel

Try the Hitchiker's Guide

Post by Mike McDaniel »

: I apologise if this is a FAQ but I havn't found allot on the topic and figured you guys could help. In looking for a standard pistol in .22 lr. Choices seem to be the S&W 41, Pardini SP, Morini Cm22m, Hammerelly SP20 and the Walther GSP. Reliability ( with target ammo) and a decient trigger are my main concerns. Cost is a consideration but not a huge one.
: Can anyone point me towards a web sight that compares the guns? Any modles more problematic than others?
Try the Hitchiker's Guide to Shooting Glory (it's on the Pilkguns.com website). They've got a pretty comprehensive list.
If cost is no object, the big items will be trigger preference and grip angle. If you like an upright (1911-ish) grip, highly raked grips like those on the Pardini and Morini will not satisfy you. And if you prefer a crisp trigger to a rolling release, Hammerli and Feinwerkbau wil work great, but Pardini and FAS guns won't.
HMSLion-at-aol.com.42516.42507
PW

Re: don't forget the FWB AW93.

Post by PW »

Make sure you try the FWB AW93 if you get a chance, fantastic balance, accuracy and reliability.

: : Most current pistols are of similar quality.
: I would recommend that you try as many as you can get your hands on.
: For me I tried the Walther GSP, Hammerli SP20, Hammerli 208s, 1911 conversion and the HighStandards. I have settled on the more upright grip of the Hammerli 208s and 1911. These felt best to me but all functioned extremely well with high end ammo.
: Good luck in your quest..

shooter

Re: Which Std pistol?

Post by shooter »

First you have to learn to shoot the standard pistol very well, because you will not able to tell the different
If I were you I would not spend more than $450 and this is enough to buy a reliable Baikal IZH-35
If you will able to score 540-550 (20+20+20) with this one, go for the GSP