crimp on handloads - what defininition of 'heavy crimp'

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Spencer C

crimp on handloads - what defininition of 'heavy crimp'

Post by Spencer C »

OK! So I know what a 'heavy' crimp is as opposed to a light crimp, but is there any technical definition?
The reason for asking...
I am working up 25 m target loads for my .32 revolver and have been working various powder charge / projectile combinations with a Ransom rest and chrono. I am about to see what difference various crimps make.
While I will know how much crimp I am putting on the cases, how would the amount of crimp be described to others - a term such as 'medium' crimp could (would) mean different things to different re-loaders.
Spencer C
Bob

Re: crimp on handloads - what defininition of 'heavy crimp'

Post by Bob »

Spencer, I have been using a 'Taper Crimp' on all my .32 and .45's for quite a few years now. Since I went to using a taper crimp I've had less feed problems and consistant loads. A roll crip can change if you have a case that is a litttle longer then the one you set your roll crimp die to.
I recall seeing in a reloading manual, not sure who's it was, different pictures of a roll crimp and what they called slight, medium and heavy crimp. If I can find it I'll post it for you. To me 'Heavy' means a much of a crip as you can get before you start deforming the top of the case.