suspected velocity issue with wadcutters...

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DC

suspected velocity issue with wadcutters...

Post by DC »

I'm new to the 10m line with an air pistol in my hand. I picked it up to practice at home for bullseye matches.
I am shooting a used Gamo Compact Target. The Gamo website says this pistol should reach velocities close to 400 ft/sec.
When I shoot wadcutter ammo it seems to tumble on impact & tear a large teardrop size hole in the 10m targets. Round nose & pointed pellets do not do this.
I'm suspecting that it is related to slower velocity of the wadcutter ammo. Maybe due to worn seals?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
DC
dcallagher-at-na.ko.com.42380.0
Scott H.

Re: suspected velocity issue with wadcutters...

Post by Scott H. »

In my experience: At the velocities AP's shoot at, the quality of the paper has a lot to do with the clean-ness of the hole cut by the pellet.
Using a Pardini K-58, I get teardrop shaped holes using Nygord pellets and National Target Co. targets. Using Edelman targets, with their thicker paper, I get fairly clean holes.
Put some sort of backer behind your targets, like a piece of cardboard, and see if the holes clean up for you.
cheers. See you on a bullseye line, maybe,
SH
fwbaw92-at-msn.com.42381.42380
Spencer C

Re: suspected velocity issue with wadcutters...

Post by Spencer C »

As with Scott's posting below, the targets may be a problem. If you are getting around 400 fps you should expect clean holes on quality targets.
Have you checked velocity over a chrono (beware, the chrono probably won't work correctly under fluoro lights)
Most of the european advice seems to be suggesting around 400 fps for accuracy.
Additionally, lower than this velocity increases the time the pellet is in the barrel (and the consequent problems with trigger control)

David M

What Air Pistol ?

Post by David M »

You don't say what pistol you are using?
Also try using an old target behind as a backer.