Grip problem with LP300

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

AD

Grip problem with LP300

Post by AD »

I have been shooting air-pistol for about a year and have owned a Walther LP300 for about 10 months. A month ago the steel pin that holds the grip to the main pistol broke into two, when I mailed Walther they said that I tightened the grip plate too much, if I dont tighten the grip the main body moves all over the grip(especially downwards when I'm lifting the pistol) What should I do?

Also I would like to know what would happen to the pistol if I fired it empty? Will there bee any major lasting damage to the pistol?
Thank you.
AD
Mako

Re: Grip problem with LP300

Post by Mako »

No, you can't damage a pre-charged pistol discharging it without a pellet. It's only spring driven air guns that can be damaged if there is no pellet to provide a momentary "dam" for the air ... to create a cushion for the spring and it's seal.
If you broke that heavy pin ... you must have been tightening it pretty hard ... but if the grip wasn't being held in place with "normal" tightening ... then something wasn't right either. A loose grip is a common problem with the IZH pistol ... which can be fixed by putting pieces of paper between various places. I wonder if in your case you needed an additional thin washer between the end of the bolt head and the grip ... or between the fat "dished" silver washer and the wood of the grip on the inside of the grip.
I don't have to tighten mine very hard at all to have it clamp down ...
Where did you buy your LP300 from ... why didn't you let them fix it and the problem?

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42364.42361
AD

grip problems

Post by AD »

I bought my pistol second hand. I live in India, and not many people In india know much about airpistols.

Are you happy with the LP300 or do you think the Steyr LP10 is a better buy?(thats what everyone says) I'm planning to sell my present LP300 and purchase a new one(which some shooters say is an idiotic thing to do) What would you advice me to do?
Thanks Mako,
AD
AD

Mako

see my message below on LP300 vs LP10 .nt

Post by Mako »

: I bought my pistol second hand. I live in India, and not many people In india know much about airpistols.
:
: Are you happy with the LP300 or do you think the Steyr LP10 is a better buy?(thats what everyone says) I'm planning to sell my present LP300 and purchase a new one(which some shooters say is an idiotic thing to do) What would you advice me to do?
: Thanks Mako,
: AD
: AD

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42368.42365
AD

Trigger Problems(I think)

Post by AD »

My triiger unit(part with all the adjustment screws) shakes sideways(about 0.5mm to 0.8mm). Walther said they would send me a new trigger unit which definately will not clear through Indian customs. Is this shke natural or a defect with the trigger unit.
Thanks,
AD
Mako

further ...

Post by Mako »

Being in India ... perhaps one of your considerations should be reliability. I love my EARLY LP300 ... but it has been unreliable. The newer models apparently have had these problems addressed ...
Elite shooters demand reliability ... perhaps this is one of the reasons they tend to use Steyr's and Morini's? I know one elite shooter who misssed the Sydney Olympic Games because his first shot in the last qualifing match didn't even make it to the target. Something went wrong .... they never figured out what happened ... but he switched to the other brand of pistol ... because of couse now he could never trust the other one ...
How do you fill your air cylinders? I would imagine that it can be quite humid were you are? If you are using scuba air ... no problems. But if you are using a hand pump ... you could be introducing a lot of humidity into your cylinders and then into your pistol ... it's pressure regulator, etc. This can fairly quickly lead to corrision problems ...
Hand pumps have a condensor to help remove moisture from air ... but once they heat up ... they lose their ability to remove moisture. So ... the thing to do is to do say ten pumps ... then let the pump cool off ... ten pumps, cool, etc. I would just leave the pump somewhere where everytime you pass it by, you do a few pumps ... then move on, to return later. Of course if the pump is in an air conditioned room ... the air will be much dryer also ...

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42371.42365
AD

Filling procedure

Post by AD »

I first used the Scuba cylinders to fill my pistol, but once the cylinders finished I couldnt have them refilled, so now I have 3 empty cylinders at home, I just bought a pump and have just begun to use it, I have to take the corrosion risk, and many thanks for your advice(which I sorely need). Thanks again Mako.
AD
Mako

Re: Filling procedure

Post by Mako »

why can't you have them refilled?
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42373.42372
Mako

Re: Trigger Problems(I think)

Post by Mako »

yes there is a very slight side to side jiggle in my LP300's trigger group.
The problem with my trigger assemble is that it would lose it's settings ... so that all of a sudden the pistol would discharge while cocking the loading lever! :-( One would then have to reset the sear ... a big deal when this happens during warm up for the National Championship! One or two shots before this would happen the trigger would get VERY light ... use this as a warning. This happened three times before I got a new trigger group. There is now suppose to be a newer trigger group ... identifiable by the trigger assemble suppposedly having a silver housing.
Why can't you get a new trigger assemble though customs? You can answer me by email ...

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.42374.42369
S Faught

Post by S Faught »

I have had the same problem with not being able to get the ball and socket joint tight enough to keep the grip from moving. I solved this by putting a drop of slow setting "Crazy Glue" cyanoacralate resin on the joint. If the angle is not right you can disolve the glue with "Gun Scrub" or acetone and redo it.
steve

rushridge-at-msn.com.42390.42361
Rustam Bana

Re: Filling procedure

Post by Rustam Bana »

: why can't you have them refilled?
They can be refilled.
The cylinder that AD (we shoot at the same club) is using is one that has been salvaged from a ship breaking yard - read 'super cheap'. It is supposed to be tested but does not have a certificate. Hence, the reputed companies will not even touch it. The cost of getting it certified by a ISO certified company is very high but no more than a manual pump. Infact, they give you their own certified tanks.
I too have recently received one of these dodgy tanks and it has scared me witless as it has rust patches. So I am going to go for a manual pump or a ISO certified cylinder.
A dodgy pressure vessel isn't something I am going to have lying around the house.
Rustam.

rustambana-at-satyam.net.in.42396.42373
Rustam Bana

Post by Rustam Bana »

: No, you can't damage a pre-charged pistol discharging it without a pellet.
I think he is refering to the o-rings, especially in the breech area.
Rustam.
rustambana-at-satyam.net.in.42397.42364
Rui Vranas

Re: Trigger Problems(I think)

Post by Rui Vranas »

AD,
I had also trigger problems and Walther sent me a very small envelope postage package by airmail.
The new trigger unit is a bit different from the original (that did not hold adjustments first, ending with a total colapse)

ruivranas-at-oninet.pt.42430.42369