Most accurate pellet for IZH-46M?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Billy

Most accurate pellet for IZH-46M?

Post by Billy »

I just found one of these in a local gun shop and before I went out buying all brands of pellets I thought I would ask the folks that know best.
Are there any pellet weight considerations with this spring powered pistol, I wouldn't want to use anything that will hurt the spring life.
Thanks much,
BILLY
medbill-at-hvc.rr.com.41605.0
dam8

Re: Most accurate pellet for IZH-46M?

Post by dam8 »

: BILLY
Hi, and welcome to TT. The IZH 46 and 46m are pneumatic air as the cylender is filled with the pumping action of the lever. IMHO the pellets I've used are the RWS diablo and the Vogel sport.Both performed well and seemed to be equally accurate. 4.5mm

Norm

It's not spring powered

Post by Norm »

What dam8 is saying, is the IZH46 (and M) is not spring powered. The cocking lever compresses air in the cylinder that's released when you pull the trigger. To address your question, I've been using Gamo match pellets that I got at a local Dick's sporting goods. They weigh about 7.8 grains. From sandbags, they shoot into one ragged hole. Maybe the expensive pellets will make for a smaller ragged hole. I can detect a little size variation, the way they engage the rifling in the chamber. Match pellets should address this. The only real guideline I've heard is to not go too small and miss the rifling.
It's a nice gun, I've won a couple of local matches with it. Scores about 550.
Enjoy,
Norm
nglitz-at-optonline.net.41609.41608
Mako

Post by Mako »

Most anything will work ... but size 4.5 seems perhaps "best." A fellow at our club recently got one (I've also got one) and bought some inexpensive Daisy pellets for it. They were undersized ... and would fall out of the breech if the barrel was pointed up before closing the rear lever. We tried various pellets ... 4.49 still seemed to go in a bit too easy. I would try 4.5. Flat head wad cutters of course ...
The Vogel Sports are excellent and inexpensive. Available from our message board sponsor:
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.41611.41605
MDriskill

Post by MDriskill »

The IZH 46M not a springer, it's a single-stroke pneumatic and it completely recoilless in action. It doesn't care what weight pellet you use, don't worry about hurting the gun.
Mine likes inexpensive RWS Hobby and Geco pellets as well as anything. H&N Pistol Match were also outstanding. I have a hunch that something with a bit smaller skirt diameter, such as JSB Match pellets, would be even better, but I haven't tried them yet.
Joe G.

Post by Joe G. »

Hi Billy, as you might have already gathered from all the other answers the IZH is fairly non-fussy about pellets. With my 46 I have gotten very good results with RWS R-10, H&N Match & Match High Speed. It is an accurate and reliable shooter, you should have lots of fun with it. Enjoy, Joe G. PS I also found the Gamo Match (aka Daisy) were too loose in the bore.

Josephjfg-at-aol.com.41618.41605
Mike Fleischer

Post by Mike Fleischer »

: I just found one of these in a local gun shop and before I went out buying all brands of pellets I thought I would ask the folks that know best.
: Are there any pellet weight considerations with this spring powered pistol, I wouldn't want to use anything that will hurt the spring life.
: Thanks much,
: BILLY
I have a IZH46 and a IZH46M. I have tried many brands. My IZH46 likes a .50 gram pellet with a 4.50 size and my IZH46M likes a .50 gram pellet with 4.49 size. I use Vogel Match LP pellets I check pellets for weight and size and they are as good or better then most major brands. Used a Chrony to test average speed and std. dev.
maf166-at-msn.com.41621.41605
RodA

Post by RodA »

I bought an Izzy (my first target A.P. ever) last November and I like it very much. After shooting about 3,000+ pellets through it, it chronies at 500 f.p.s (497-499) using Dynamit Nobel GECOs'. Additional bonus is GECOs' are very inexpensive but well made and my Izzy seems to like them also! I've shot many other fine pellets but the GECOs' seem to perform the best.
aveiror001-at-hawaii.rr.com.41710.41605
easy

Post by easy »

do not worry about the pellets
buy Daisy in the Wal-Mart, practice and when
you shoot an average 95 you are ready to use RWS