Reliability of Pardini Sp and Match Guns MG4

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JohnCfromMD

Reliability of Pardini Sp and Match Guns MG4

Post by JohnCfromMD »

I shoot a lot. On average 2-3 times per week every week. Over the years I have had parts of guns wear out. Have any of you shot either the Pardini SP or the March Guns MG 4 in .22. How have they held up under extended use, Note, NOT abuse, just a lot of use with proper cleaning and care?
Thank you
John Ciccone
j-team

Re: Reliability of Pardini Sp and Match Guns MG4

Post by j-team »

I have had 2 Pardini SPs. Both would have been used at least one range session a week

First Pardini SP 1999-2005, one broken firing pin.

Current Pardini SP-RF 2005 - Present, have not had anything fail. I've replace the recoil spring twice in those 10 years just because they recommend it.

Between the 2 of them, I could count the malfunctions on one hand. I always use good ammo though (Lapua or SK).
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

John I have owned four MG2 pistols ( the MG4 is .32s&wl ) and have found that they wear no faster than other pistols given care and proper maintenance.

However if you decide on the MG2 I would recommend that you buy the very latest model known as the " Rio 2016 " which has been re engineered to eliminate the few niggling problems shown by earlier versions.

Other than that they are beautifully made from top materials, light ( with the optional Ergal front weight ) well balanced and supremely accurate with arguably the least recoil of any .22lr pistol ever made.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Stay away from MG4.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I have 10K rounds on my Pardini SP and only have had one malfunction (ammo related). I replaced the recoil spring at 9K.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The "Rio 2016" is no new evolution of the MG2, just a marketing gag by some guy in Canada. It's mechanically the same as every other latest series MG2. Hate to say it though, but if you want no hassles, can't beat the Pardini (from the current crop of pistols). Matchguns is a fanstastic design, but it can drive you nuts. If it works, it can also make you smile.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

conradin wrote:Stay away from MG4.
Why would you stay away from the MG4? It's a solid piece of equipment. Utterly reliable in my experience of three years.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Tycho wrote:The "Rio 2016" is no new evolution of the MG2, just a marketing gag by some guy in Canada. It's mechanically the same as every other latest series MG2. Hate to say it though, but if you want no hassles, can't beat the Pardini (from the current crop of pistols). Matchguns is a fanstastic design, but it can drive you nuts. If it works, it can also make you smile.
It will be interesting to see what the actual changes are to new the MG2R. I have an earlier MG2 that has mixed parts to get it to MG2R; looking forward to getting my new one next month or two. The old one has shot almost faultlessly through many bricks of varying ammo since 2011.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Love my Pardini SP to death and despise anything made by MG. I had one of the first MG .22's from Nygord, he bought it back from me promptly as mine was one that couldn't fire more than 1 shot before jamming. The clearing of the jam required quite a big dissection in order to clear. PIECE OF CRAP. "Doc"
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote:Stay away from MG4.
From Vince's lips to God's ear.
Rover

Post by Rover »

What, no tongue?
conradin

Post by conradin »

MG4-no-serial.jpg
This is a friend's MG4.
He waited for 10 weeks to get the replacement slide from Stefano and this is what happens. Cracked after firing wadcutters. He only owns it for 14 months.
Last edited by conradin on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
conradin

Post by conradin »

PS. I own an MG2E RF, it is fine. I am not quite sure what the OP meant, since MG4 does not shoot .22 Only MG3, which is no longer in production. MG2 shoots 22RF.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

, since MG4 does not shoot .22 Only MG3, which is no longer in production. MG2 shoots 22RF.
MG3...? Never heard of it !
conradin

Post by conradin »

deadeyedick wrote:MG3...? Never heard of it !
index.jpg
index.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Unless proven wrong this was their .22 short rapid fire pistol. Production ceased when .22 short was banned from use in the Olympic Rapid Fire event and replaced by .22lr. cartridge.
rmca

Post by rmca »

If it's reliability you want, between the two, there is only one answer:

Pardini. No doubt about it...
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Off-topic, but yeah, MG3 was the .22 short. AFAIK no real production run, although I've got one that does not have that prototype look. Doesn't work all that well and can't hold a candle to the late series Pardini RF pistols of that time, a nicely tuned GPS or Schumann Special will shoot the socks off it.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Both are incredible pistols.

Pardini appears to be a bit better at producing English manuals that I understand.

MG-2 suffered early in production and received a bad reputation. Getting one that was produced after issues resolved makes it an outstanding choice. I have no idea of what year or which serial numbers indicate "good" or "bad" years.

There are no current MatchGun dealers in the U.S. Nygord sold them until his death and then Neil Stepp at ISS in Ft Worth took over the franchise. Stepp decided to no longer sell them. He still has some parts and accessories available altho the inventory is small.

Gunsmith support will depend upon availability of trained or good gunsmiths.

The folks at Pardini are world-class competitors and are at Camp Perry each year to provide sales as well as advice and tech support. Emil has been very helpful with my GT-45 and SP adjustments.

Parts for both are easily available if needed. PardiniUSA offers superb support and is very quick in sending parts or accessories. Stefano is equally responsive. He accepts PayPal for payment and parts are sent via Italian Priority Post (3 to 4 days to the East Coast).

I have the Pardini SP (22) and HP (32 S&W Long) as well as the MG-1 (.177 air pistol) and the MG-2. The Pardini's are the "New" version and both have mechanical triggers. Except for the Pardini HP, all were used when I got them.

The previous owner of the MG-2 said that he had had zero problems with it. After 4,000 plus rounds, my experience has been the same. I have fired approximately 2,500 rounds through the SP without any problem or issue.

The MG-1 air pistol was 10 years old when I purchased it. Some seals were bad and I replaced all. Figuring out what was needed and getting them from Stefano was very, very easy. As written above, Stefano accepts PayPal and Paypal figures out the Euro/USD rate.

All have the original unmodified grips.

I have ordered spare/extra parts for the SP & HP from the PardiniUSA. Quick and easy without issue.

Which is better? Depends on my mind's eye and the world around me on the day that I shoot them.

There are a great many posts on the MG-2. Seems to be very polarized either way based either upon experience or what has been read.

I also have a AW-93 which I think is just a great as the SP or the MG-2. I shoot with the stock unmodified grip was well as with a Horton grip.

All have either UltraDot MatchDots or Aimpoint Micros (less the MG-1).
conradin

Post by conradin »

Shiloh wrote: Parts for both are easily available if needed. Stefano is equally responsive. He accepts PayPal for payment and parts are sent via Italian Priority Post (3 to 4 days to the East Coast).

There are a great many posts on the MG-2. Seems to be very polarized either way based either upon experience or what has been read.
I am still waiting for a SPRING from Stefano, and now it has been four weeks. You live in the east coast and I live in the west. Something is wrong or is that normal?
The person who had the MG4 I posted, waited for 8 weeks for it to arrive to Australia.