Steyr LP10 barrel shroud weights?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulNZ

Steyr LP10 barrel shroud weights?

Post by paulNZ »

Hi, I have a Steyr LP10. I'm wondering if someone can provide advice on how I should use the barrel shroud weights? I've not used them so far. Is it just trial and error? Can I use them to dampen the arc of the movement in the aligned sights? Thanks for any feedback.
hundert

Re: Steyr LP10 barrel shroud weights?

Post by hundert »

It's both the feel and SCATT numbers. Scatt measures the distance your aimpoint travels (in one second, or in the last second before shot, or during the trigger pull, the lower the number the better), so you need to experiment a lot.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

LP10 is very light gun without the weights. By putting some weight to the end of the barrel you may get little bit more stabilized front sight. Someones want all the mass near as possible to the grip/handle. Try and find out what is best for you!

I have added 10 of those weights in my LP10, all of them are as near to the grip as possible.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Paul,

Many people are going to disagree with me, but the best combination I found for my LP10 was to remove all of the weights, including the barrel shroud, add a rifle trigger, a Nygord Turbo Comp, and a short air cylinder (believe me, I tried all possible combinations of different things that would fit this gun to find what worked best for me). This got the weight of the gun down around 950g, and the balance was absolutely phenomenal. I could shoot it all day long and hold on the black twice as long as when it had all of it's normal weight. I believe that balance is the critical factor which determines whether you will hold the gun steady or with wobble, as well as how well your grip fits, and as far as the weight argument, time yourself holding your gun at an object for as long as you can, rest, then do it again just pointing your finger at it. Extreme example, but you'll get the point. Which one can you hold longer? Which one will give you more time to accurately line up your shot?

Best of Luck,
Richard Harris
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Scrench wrote:Paul,

Many people are going to disagree with me, but the best combination I found for my LP10 was to remove all of the weights, including the barrel shroud, add a rifle trigger, a Nygord Turbo Comp, and a short air cylinder (believe me, I tried all possible combinations of different things that would fit this gun to find what worked best for me). This got the weight of the gun down around 950g, and the balance was absolutely phenomenal. I could shoot it all day long and hold on the black twice as long as when it had all of it's normal weight. I believe that balance is the critical factor which determines whether you will hold the gun steady or with wobble, as well as how well your grip fits, and as far as the weight argument, time yourself holding your gun at an object for as long as you can, rest, then do it again just pointing your finger at it. Extreme example, but you'll get the point. Which one can you hold longer? Which one will give you more time to accurately line up your shot?

Best of Luck,
Richard Harris
Interesting point of view! Definitely worth of trying. But do you really need all the time because I think most of us have the best hold during the first 5 seconds after you've lifted your arm towards the target? And it's pretty tiring for eyes to look at the front sight too long - and repeat it for 60 to 100 times. Just my thoughts..

I get little bit more stability to hold when there is some weight in the gun.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
apron

Post by apron »

I want to purchase those stainless steel shroud weights used by some of the competitors that I saw on ISSF TV ; those provided by the factory rust so easily ! Any idea on where to get them ? Appreciate.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

apron wrote:I want to purchase those stainless steel shroud weights used by some of the competitors that I saw on ISSF TV ; those provided by the factory rust so easily ! Any idea on where to get them ? Appreciate.
Rust on a target pistol. Look after it!!!!
Sorry that this does not answer your specific question.
apron

Post by apron »

Brian , I have been looking after them on my 3 LP10s , keep rubbing off the rust & oiling them. What's wrong to see where to get those stainless steel weights ~!
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

If there is a market for it (which I define as hardly bigger than one person), I'd be happy to work up a 3d printed set of barrel weights for the LP10. I've already made a set for the Toz free pistol and this IZH-46 that use 38 slugs that can be positioned anywhere up and down the barrel. Take a look at my website (PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com) for pictures. I suspect LP10 owners would be looking for options of weight in smaller increments than 38 wadcutters. That being the case I'd design a weight system similar to what you see for the IZH that clips over the top of the barrel shroud (but below the line of the sights) and takes smaller increments of weight. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Andrew

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com
Grips for All Hands and Most Guns
OTD

Post by OTD »

apron wrote:I want to purchase those stainless steel shroud weights used by some of the competitors that I saw on ISSF TV ; those provided by the factory rust so easily ! Any idea on where to get them ? Appreciate.
I think IROSA in Germany is producing what you are looking for.

http://www.irosa.de/wp/profiline/laufgewichte/

regards, Daniel
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

apron wrote:Brian , I have been looking after them on my 3 LP10s , keep rubbing off the rust & oiling them. What's wrong to see where to get those stainless steel weights ~!
Apron
In an earlier life I was a metallurgist in a particularly sensitive (to rust) steel industry, one of the main causes of corrosion (rust) was acidic sweat.
Acidic sweat in these instances was caused by either arthritis or some ladies during their cycle. Merely wiping it off was not sufficient to stop corrosion.
If you are in either of these categories then stainless steel or tungsten is the way to go.
Best of luck
Brian
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

apron wrote:Brian , I have been looking after them on my 3 LP10s , keep rubbing off the rust & oiling them. What's wrong to see where to get those stainless steel weights ~!
Wow, you have enough backup guns in case one should fail during a match! Have you thought about electroplating the weights with nickel or chrome?
BEA

Post by BEA »

I would shoot the pistol completely stock a lot until you can formulate a sound opinion of how you like it. This could take months of shooting. I see no reason to start removing/changing/buying parts until you decide it is needed. The first thing you need to do is get the grips right because you cannot determine the proper balance until you have the grip right. If you look at the best shooters in the world, they are shooting pretty much stock guns (except the grips) and have only made subtle changes to effect the balance.
apron

Post by apron »

kevinweiho wrote:
Wow, you have enough backup guns in case one should fail during a match! Have you thought about electroplating the weights with nickel or chrome?
Thanks for your suggestion. I live in Hong Kong & Taiwan ; at the age of 63 - retiring from competitive archery , switched to 10m air pistol for 3 years now ; and loving this sport so much , I respectively bought 3 Lp10's using in these 2 places. (Though the cost of purchasing a LP10 in Taiwan is as high as US$3000 !) I am now contacting Irosa as recommended as OTD , too bad their site is only in German , hope they will reply in English.