Federal 711

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

glr1

Federal 711

Post by glr1 »

How accurate is this ammo compared to cci standard velocity,sk?
Jimro

Re: Federal 711

Post by Jimro »

According to this chart, from a Bleiker http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of- ... ison-test/

50 yards
0.312 CCI Standard Velocity
0.328 SK High Velocity
0.398 Federal Gold Medal (711b)

75 yards
0.494 CCI Standard
0.513 SK High Velocity
0.690 Federal Gold Medal

100 yards
0.939 CCI Standard
1.142 Federal Gold Medal
1.182 SK high Velocity

That chart also shows why cheap "Federal Champion" is my favorite rimfire for training.
0.356 Federal Champion
0.533 Fed. Champion Target
1.032 Federal Champion

I still have some economy bricks in storage with the "12.99" sticker attached... Wish I'd bought about a thousand more of them....

However, this is from ONE rifle. YOURS IS PROBABLY DIFFERENT. And you won't know what works best for you, and your rifle, until you try it out.

After all, people aren't really out there competing at the top level with Western Bulk Pack through a Bleiker, they are all shooting Eley or Lapua (or other top end, consistent performer) which also dominates the top end of the linked chart.

Jimro
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

What chamber/bolt headspace was used as well?
If optimized for Eley, well, then.......
patriot

Post by patriot »

Comparing SK high velocity with anything standard is apples to oranges.

Mark
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

jhmartin,

As I wrote and was listed in the link, the rifle for the test was a Bleiker, no chamber/bolt information available beyond that. 22lr match chambers all engrave the bullet into the rifling on chambering, so beyond that no clue as to the actual dimensions, but Eley did come in top for the 50 yard test.

patriot,

As long as the comparison metric is "group size" I think it's ok to compare apples to oranges for ammunition performance from a single rifle.

Jimro
patriot

Post by patriot »

By SK was he asking about Standard Plus, Rifle Match, or High Velocity? From my limited testing and experience, Standard Plus & Wolf Match Target from two years ago do not perform as well as in the past. They may shoot one decent group, but then an elevation flyer will ruin your day. Wolf Extra and SK Rifle Match shoot decent, capable of cleans at 100. The better lots being equal to the midpoint of Center X. I used Standard Plus to sight in the 54.30 before switching to Center X and Midas+ a week ago. One shot dropped out the bottom, mid nine at six o'clock. I don't have any recent 711 lot data, but I only use it for silhouette rifle practice or bullseye pistol.

Mark
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Patriot,

Since the OP didn't specify I listed the tightest grouping SK in the list. But the only way to really know for the OP is to test a few boxes in his rifle.

Jimro