Steyr LP 50E - current opinions?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

Steyr LP 50E - current opinions?

Post by IPshooter »

Hello all,

I know there were some issues with this pistol, and I believe it is no longer in production.

For those who have one, what is your opinion of it now? Is it worthwhile to have or is it only useable as a paperweight?

TIA

Stan
dronning

Re: Steyr LP 50E - current opinions?

Post by dronning »

I looked at the 50E I ended up with the 10E. Some of the 50E triggers would have unexpected doubles but not all of them had this issue, my understanding it was very random. Steyr tried fixing, the fixes/redesigns weren't 100% so they decided to stop production.

I did eventually buy a used LP50 with both the standard and 4lb trigger option. I use it for Bullseye sustained fire practice.

As far as the LP50E is concerned I wouldn't take the chance unless you got a screaming deal AND only if the manual trigger could be retrofitted (I'm not sure this is even possible).

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

dronning wrote:I looked at the 50E I ended up with the 10E. Some of the 50E triggers would have unexpected doubles but not all of them had this issue, my understanding it was very random. Steyr tried fixing, the fixes/redesigns weren't 100% so they decided to stop production.

I did eventually buy a used LP50 with both the standard and 4lb trigger option. I use it for Bullseye sustained fire practice.

As far as the LP50E is concerned I wouldn't take the chance unless you got a screaming deal AND only if the manual trigger could be retrofitted (I'm not sure this is even possible).

- Dave
Thanks, Dave.

Was the problem with the 50E trigger similar to the issue Pardini had with their E models? In that case, it was solved by simply adding some over travel to the trigger.

Stan
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I have one and never had a problem with it. Never.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

TomAmlie wrote:I have one and never had a problem with it. Never.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I think we talked on the phone many years ago but never met. I hope you are well.

Stan
dronning

Post by dronning »

IPshooter wrote:
Thanks, Dave.

Was the problem with the 50E trigger similar to the issue Pardini had with their E models? In that case, it was solved by simply adding some over travel to the trigger.

Stan
If it was that easy I think Steyr would have figured it out. Again most never had a problem but the fix didn't fix all of the ones that had issues. The double tap/complete mag dump never completely went away although and at the end it was very rare, it was still too much of a risk for Steyr to continue production.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I have one, and it was always an issue to keep it running. Have to take the trigger module out 2-3 times a season put some grease up there, otherwise the magnet is not strong enough to release it. And the plastic trigger mount is a piece of trash.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

My LP50E works fine, have been shooting at least 1 000 pellets by now. I did 500 at one session the other day so I may have taken 2 000 shot already, Training 10 sec. and 20 sec. strings. (And 9 000 single fire)
ONE time I had a double. I think it depends a good deal, about HOW your trigger finger moves, if it is firm then OK but if you hesitate and reset only a fraction, a vibration in your finger might make it go off again but it did not make all pellets go off.
I suppose one can change back to standard trigger if problems occur. I like my E version, easy dry fire!
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

If problem, this video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIa2bea0iQ
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Reinhamre wrote:If problem, this video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIa2bea0iQ
Thanks, Reinhamre. That's a great video.

Stan