Finding NPA after each reload

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Finding NPA after each reload

Post by Giddaymate »

Gentlemen

Id like to spend less time on finding the NPA after each reload, when the elbow comes down again on the mat Im too often way off center. This sometimes gets me into time pressure late in matches. Any tips on this reload-NPA issue?
BR1942

Re: Finding NPA after each reload

Post by BR1942 »

Training........
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

G'Day Giddaymate,

Never having watched you shoot it is a difficult question to answer but after you reload, grasp the pistol grip and then put your elbow down. This should make your elbow placement more consistent.

If you have a good natural point of aim when you start this with should help replicate your basic position and reduce time need to fine tune it after each shot.

Reducing your consumption of Vegemite might also help. :)

Best,

Hap
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Good advice above to lead with the hand. The grip is shaped (more or less) to giude your hand, but the floor offers no such reference for your elbow.

That said, if your NPA is consistenly off target after you reload, there maybe a bigger problem. Yes, poor reloading technique can upset your shoulder, but it may be a symptom of faults within the position; likely suspects would be butt length/height/offset/hook angle, cheekpiece size, and sling tension. If the butt is the wrong length (either too short, or too long), or the position of the plate in relation to the stock is wrong, or the cheekpiece is the wrong size (too wide is not uncommon), or the sling is too tight (possibly too loose so the butt flops about), or even a mix of an or all of these, there could be tension in the position ( especialy the shooting shoulder) that is relaxed as you load so NPA changes.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

Giddaymate wrote:This sometimes gets me into time pressure late in matches.
It might be worth working on your timing as well as the above suggestions. In a final you have a maximum of 35 seconds from "... LOAD" to "STOP". Realistically, you want to have a solid shot routine that's comfortably under 30 seconds. That means that you should be capable of shooting a match in under 30 mins plus whatever time you take for breaks or waiting for conditions. If you're running out of time in qualification your shot routine might be too long for a final.
Humpers

Post by Humpers »

Giddaymate wrote:Gentlemen

Id like to spend less time on finding the NPA after each reload, when the elbow comes down again on the mat Im too often way off center. This sometimes gets me into time pressure late in matches. Any tips on this reload-NPA issue?
I had similar problems with NPA which were mainly caused by a jacket that turned out to be too big. A new jacket and lots of practice and my NPA has been totally transformed. Just in case you have the same issue.
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Thanks
Grab the pistol grip before putting the elbow down.... thats a good point
swift220swift

Post by swift220swift »

Can you reload without taking your elbow off the ground?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

swift220swift wrote:Can you reload without taking your elbow off the ground?
If the OP is shooting a conventional bolt-action rifle (i.e. not a Bleiker or G & E), then the length of thebolt makes this almost impossible, without tipping the rifle (and supporting arm) over, which may well introduce more NPA issues by upsetting the butt in his shoulder.
Jason

Post by Jason »

When I was struggling with my elbow position I had a friend tape a box on my shooting mat around my right elbow. I used a mirror to check to make sure my elbow went back into the box after reloading.

Dryfiring and reloading with my eyes closed helped me focus on the physical sensations without the distraction of watching myself place my elbow in the circle. I would set a goal for each session for how many times in a row or in total I was able to put my elbow down in the circle. This is part of my training sessions now after a longer than expected absence from prone.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Whatever it is the load system the only solution is the automatic and mechanical repetition of movements.

Training and time.
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Thats a good answer