Torben Grimmels sunglasses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

andrewp

Torben Grimmels sunglasses

Post by andrewp »

Torben grimmel won the 50m prone in Bangkok wearing a pair of Oakley sunglasses. Looking closer on the replay of the final you can see that these are no ordinary sunglasses! The right lens has a clear circlular area. has anyone seen these before? I am guessing they are custom made. I can't tell if the circle is made of clear lens or just a cutout.
dontshootcritters

Re: Torben Grimmels sunglasses

Post by dontshootcritters »

I did not post on here. My account has been hacked.
Someone please let moderators know

Kind regards

Andrew
svensta

Post by svensta »

The sunglasses seem to be a new development.

That was not as interesting as his new rifle. Great to see the KK500 in action
so soon since it's introduction and used to achieve top spot on the podium.
salar600

Post by salar600 »

Could anybody answer that question about Grimmels sunglasses cause I was under the impression that we can not us it anymore. the explanation I had 10 years ago was because the sunglasses block the eyes/face expression from the camera!!!

I know Michel Bury used some at a certain time but it was obviously before last rules changes.

Thanks
andrewp

Post by andrewp »

Here's the closeup pic.

I know the rules on side and front blinders are pretty strict. Not sure how they apply these rules to sunglasses. Not seen them used before but surely they offer a lot more ability to tailor the light entering both eyes hence a good advantage over blinders.
torben.jpeg
torben.jpeg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

svensta wrote:The sunglasses seem to be a new development.

That was not as interesting as his new rifle. Great to see the KK500 in action
so soon since it's introduction and used to achieve top spot on the podium.
I hadn't seen the final until I saw your comment, amazing what that rifle can do.
Now I am so glad and stoked that I place an order for one, can't wait until I get my hands on it!!
VicRC87

Post by VicRC87 »

andrewp wrote:Here's the closeup pic.

I know the rules on side and front blinders are pretty strict. Not sure how they apply these rules to sunglasses. Not seen them used before but surely they offer a lot more ability to tailor the light entering both eyes hence a good advantage over blinders.
torben.jpeg
After watching the final on full resolution its appears those are custom made because on the cutout there is actually a clear lenses, and the rest of the glasses are a much darker tint that would them difficult to see normally, most likely there were custom made to be used as blinders with the lens in the position to prevent movement.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

To me they look like an ordinary pair of sports sunglasses with a hole bored out of one lens.
I will ask around tomorrow and see if anyone knows more here - I am sure that there would have been protests if they were illegal. It was a World Cup after all...
K. (In Dortmund)
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

The response from a couple of judges was that rule 6.2.6 probably applies. The blocking the eyes from the camera argument would therefore seem bogus as some shotgunners and pistol shooters use similar "eye protection".
I spoke to one World Cup finalist too and his immediate response was that sunglasses were not a problem.

K.
andrewp

Post by andrewp »

Thanks KennyB

Might try something similar with a pair of old cycling sunglasses and see whether there is an improvement over side blinders + front blinder.

Thanks again.
buffalowinter

Post by buffalowinter »

Not exactly a new idea..."sharpshooter" glasses from 1860

Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

grimmel6 (Custom).jpg
Another view of Grimmel's Oakley sunglasses. There is an obvious lens in the normal shaded lens.