Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

illuminator55

extension tube for smallbore

Post by illuminator55 »

anyone known the difference between use extension tube or not
VicRC87

Re: extension tube for smallbore

Post by VicRC87 »

illuminator55 wrote:anyone known the difference between use extension tube or not
The objective of using extension tubes is to increase the sight radius in order to fucus better on the target, although there is another use which is to make the transition from different distances by reducing the amount of clicks by displacing the front sight fowards or backwards depending on the need. there are some extension tubes that also act as tunners such as the Beesting.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Yes, I do.

Extension tubes are just a way to place the foresight further away from the shooter without incurring the weight/balance penalty of a longer barrel. As described above, an extension tube can improve the shooters aim, both through a better foresight focal length, and also by reducing parallax error (although this is not universally agreed). However the longer sight base will make any wobble in the aim more visible, which can cause "triggeritis". The extra weight on the barrel can upset the balance of the rifle, and even affect the tune/accuracy. Typically you see more tubes in prone, because the hod is steady, and support hand is further forwards.

I've not personally seen shooters make elevation changes for distance, e.g 50m -100yd, by moving the foresight in or out along the tube, only between positions in a 3-P match.

Will a tube get a beginner straight onto an Olympic team? No, but it can be worth few points to a competent shooter who has a good hold.

P.s litterally, for me the difference is a 4.1mm foresight element with no tube, and a 4.8mm element with a 6in tube.
illuminator55

Post by illuminator55 »

VicRC87 wrote:
illuminator55 wrote:anyone known the difference between use extension tube or not
The objective of using extension tubes is to increase the sight radius in order to fucus better on the target, although there is another use which is to make the transition from different distances by reducing the amount of clicks by displacing the front sight fowards or backwards depending on the need. there are some extension tubes that also act as tunners such as the Beesting.
Thank you "VicRC87"
illuminator55

Post by illuminator55 »

Tim S wrote:Yes, I do.

Extension tubes are just a way to place the foresight further away from the shooter without incurring the weight/balance penalty of a longer barrel. As described above, an extension tube can improve the shooters aim, both through a better foresight focal length, and also by reducing parallax error (although this is not universally agreed). However the longer sight base will make any wobble in the aim more visible, which can cause "triggeritis". The extra weight on the barrel can upset the balance of the rifle, and even affect the tune/accuracy. Typically you see more tubes in prone, because the hod is steady, and support hand is further forwards.

I've not personally seen shooters make elevation changes for distance, e.g 50m -100yd, by moving the foresight in or out along the tube, only between positions in a 3-P match.

Will a tube get a beginner straight onto an Olympic team? No, but it can be worth few points to a competent shooter who has a good hold.

P.s litterally, for me the difference is a 4.1mm foresight element with no tube, and a 4.8mm element with a 6in tube.
Thank you "Tim S". It's clearly for me.