Anschutz 64 MPR for Competition ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mrh1958

Anschutz 64 MPR for Competition ?

Post by mrh1958 »

Would the Anschutz 64 MPR be a good choice for smallbore competition? Are they accurate enough to be competitive?
Tim S

Re: Anschutz 64 MPR for Competition ?

Post by Tim S »

Based on a clubmate's experience, I'd say a qualified maybe for a beginner. The actual grouping doesn't appear bad. In general the Match 64 action isn't as strong, rigid, or fast as the match 54, but it's often capable of surprising accuracy. My clubmate's MPR has a shorter barrel than the more common 1903, which isn't great for iron sight accuracy, but can be remedied. The trigger is however heavy compared to a Match 54. The stock has some adjustment, but the grip and wrist are far from ideal; the grip is rather small, and heavily slanted. All modern match rifles have a much more vertical grip. The overall weight is also rather light.

In short it's better than a true sporting rifle, but if you want to progress to a high level, I think there are many better choices.
patriot

Re: Anschutz 64 MPR for Competition ?

Post by patriot »

The stock would be OK for prone or F-Class, but wouldn't be a good choice for three position. My friend's is a tack driver. Sometimes I think all the adjustments on a modern metal stock are there just to drive you crazy. They aren't necessary starting out while you are learning to hold, break, and read the wind.

Mark