High $ ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

High $ ammo

Post by jerber »

I'm about to put an order with Champions choice for some 22lr ammo
I have been using Eley target(yellow box)
They have been fine.
No problems and affordable at $6.50/box
I know that ammo don't make much difference but I would like to add a box of the more expensive one
I just want to try it and see if I can tell any difference from a cheaper ammo
For those of you who uses them,what brand do you like/use?
Champions choice has
Eley
Lapua
Wolf
Rws
SK
What would you recommend that I try?
This is not something that I m planning on changing ammo
Just like to try it
Thanks
rmca

Re: High $ ammo

Post by rmca »

First, what discipline do you intend on shooting?

Eley Tenex is always a sure bet... As is all top priced ammo from RWS and Lapua.
To REALLY tell the difference, you have to clamp your pistol in a ranson rest and test all of them.

Hope this helps
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

SK........."Doc"
Rover

Post by Rover »

Look elsewhere for CCI Standard Velocity.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

I viced my Toz, and from 50m everything from the cheapest plinker fodder I could find to TenEx was good enough to qualify for the WC or the Olympics. The good but cheap stuff (Eley, RWS, etc's cheapest stuff) would have set a world record if I 'd been shooting it instead of having it in a vice. Does the expensive stuff perform better, absolutely. Tenex cut on ragged hole really, but considering I don't hold near that hard I'm not too worried about it.

-Jenrick
jerber

Post by jerber »

Sounds like the tenex is a good choice
Again this is just to get to try what a high price ammo shoots like
Who knows maybe I'll get better results or maybe worse
Will let you know!
For now I am pleased with the Eley target
The shooting range that I go to has the CCI sv and mini mags
Box of 100 is about $11-12
They also perform well
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Use a scatt machine to test the steadiness of your hold first. Usually following this you will come to the conclusion that the weak link in shooting is not the ammo, but us.

Why buy ammo that produces a ransom rest group 1/8" tighter than that of much, much cheaper ammo if the shooter can't hold a pattern the size of a cantaloupe.
jerber

Post by jerber »

deadeyedick wrote:
Why buy ammo that produces a ransom rest group 1/8" tighter than that of much, much cheaper ammo if the shooter can't hold a pattern the size of a cantaloupe.
I agree but what makes you think that my pattern is the size of a cantaloupe?
Rover

Post by Rover »

You mean it's larger?
jerber

Post by jerber »

Rover wrote:You mean it's larger?
Yep!
Like a water melons!
But I'm trying to get it like a grape
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

Eley Tenex gave me the smallest group when I tested (Ransom Rest) my .22 ( some years ago ). Try a box of Tenex yourself, and I think you will find that spending three times as much for ammo, does not improve your shooting nearly as much as proper training.
Holding drills, dry fire drills, cost nothing, and bring greater improvement than high priced ammo...Jim
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you want to shoot high-priced ammunition, and can afford it, then there really is no down-side.

Only YOU can decide whether the group size, recoil characteristics, reliability etc are worth it for YOUR shooting.

If you think it's worth the expense then go for it. Don't take any notice of others who have decided that it's not worth it for THEM.
spektr

Post by spektr »

My TOZ will not chamber CCI since but evemn more severe pressures on closure.....US SAMMI spec ammo is longer overall than Eurospec ammo. Same with my Hammerli
jerber

Post by jerber »

I did put an order for 1 box of Tenex
I will post what I think of it after trying it
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

This is interesting.... the link is to a test of 55 .22 rimfire variations and brands held over 50, 75, and 100 yards using a Swiss made Bleiker rifle.

At 50 yards tenex came in 18th with a spread of .272....interestingly CCI sv came in at 20th with a spread of .312.

Tenex sells locally where I live for $30AUD a box and CCI sells for $5 AUD a box.

Read the article and arrive at your own conclusions.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of- ... ison-test/

I personally use Eley Sport which came in at 33rd with a group size of .387. This costs me around $10 AUD a box. I use this because of the difference between European and U.S. .22 lr specifications.

I hope someone can tell me why we have two standards for .22 lr.
Rover

Post by Rover »

To spekter: My TOZ has difficulty in loading CCI, too. I just cram it in! The empties eject easily, telling me it is the bullet being squeezed into the rifling that's a problem.

My recommendation of CCI Good Stuff? Imagine that.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

CCI Good Stuff? Imagine that.
I've always found it good stuff, however my European pistol won't reliably load/extract due to the marginally different case dimensions compared to European ammunition. This forces me and others have to pay more for ammunition that is both more expensive and according to these test results less accurate.

Going back to a question I asked earlier...does anyone have any idea why we have two standards for .22lr rimfire ammunition ?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

deadeyedick wrote:This is interesting.... the link is to a test of 55 .22 rimfire variations and brands held over 50, 75, and 100 yards using a Swiss made Bleiker rifle.

At 50 yards tenex came in 18th with a spread of .272....interestingly CCI sv came in at 20th with a spread of .312.
I don't this this can be taken as proof that CCI is equal. or nearly equal, to Tenex. Firstly, a single group is open to too many variable factors to be a reliable indicator of the average performance of anything. Secondly, the variation in performance between batches (let alone brands) is enough for rifle shooters that even intermediate level shooters worry about ammunition performance. A different batch of Tenex may have shot rather better, and the next group of CCI may have been rather larger.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was referring specifically to a TOZ with CCI. If you can force it in, it will work.

Cheap stuff can be good. In my testing of pellets, I found a lot of RWS Basic that shot a smaller 30 shot group than R10 (I still use it for matches.)

I have to say that for many years I bad-mouthed the CCI without really giving it a fair chance. But, by test Winchester T22 and RWS Club shot best in my two S&W 41 barrels. Things have changed and I now use the CCI for everything, because it's decent and cheap.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I personally use Tenex at Outdoor Bullseye 50yd slow fires only. I shoot a Pardini SP Bullseye. As far as groups go SK standard, CCI standard, Lapua Center X, and Tenex will all shoot X-ring. I shoot Tenex because my calls are way better and I notice my called bad shots aren't as bad with Tenex.

A side note is I shoot CCI standard or SK standard @ 25yds for timed and rapid.

Its all personal preference and which ammo you shoot better. I would shoot a slow fire with each ammo and switch back and forth in a training session and would notice score and shot call difference.