SOS - What to do about backsliding?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike M.

SOS - What to do about backsliding?

Post by Mike M. »

I'm having serious problems this season. I normally shoot ~535....this season, I can't crack 520. And I have no idea why. Just the occasional random poor shot out in the 6 ring...but 4-6 per match. And I can't afford it. I'm normally shooting an LP-10, tried a P44 this month...no use.

Any ideas? Other than selling the whole wretched lot as a bad business?
Gwhite

Re: SOS - What to do about backsliding?

Post by Gwhite »

Are the 6's all in the same direction? Do they occur at random intervals, or later in the match? There are always clues, none of which you've provided.

Something is inconsistent in your shot process, or your pistol. You may also just need to adjust your vision with a new prescription/lenses.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You need a SSP.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Spend more time focusing on the shot process and less on the score. One thing that will help this is to scope less, sometimes going 5 or 10 shots depending on how they are flowing. It takes some getting used to, but you can do it. In addition, take a little more time between shots. There is nothing wrong with your equipment.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Most of the really bad shots kick to 2:30, though I've seen a few to about 8:00.

The frustrating part is being stuck at a mid-530s score for over 5 years...then declining. And having no idea why. Sight true, hold hard, squeeze soft, call a 10...and shoot a 7.

I went for an eye exam last Friday, should have a new prescription in a month.

I'm also starting to consider going to a true single-stage/crisp trigger, instead of a two-stage.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I talked to Steve Reiter about this problem. He had surgery on his arm to help him. I'm afraid I'm just a hopeless spazz boy; been on the decline for years. Much of your problem is simple brain farts; PAY ATTENTION!!!

Something you might look at is your grip fit and trigger pull. I'm working on both just to break even.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Mike M. wrote:Most of the really bad shots kick to 2:30, though I've seen a few to about 8:00.

The frustrating part is being stuck at a mid-530s score for over 5 years...then declining. And having no idea why. Sight true, hold hard, squeeze soft, call a 10...and shoot a 7.
If you had been stuck at 530 for 5 years, it means that you have problems with locking you wrist properly. The Russian school of thought was always that the shots dispersed along the 1-7 o'clock "saber line" (for a right-handed shooter) indicates wrist unlocking. Granted, your line is a bit tilted from the classic "saber," but close enough to attribute the difference to your specific wrist anatomy.
Take a look at a couple of Piddubnyi's articles available on this website, they contain useful advice and drills for wrist locking.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Reading them now. Much obliged, I'll put the training methods into effect starting tonight.