Scatt Results, Cause and Correction

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Thedrifter

Scatt Results, Cause and Correction

Post by Thedrifter »

Periodically I like to spend my time plotting how I will become a better marksman. Today due to some California rain and a mid-day showing of Star Wars, I have decided to share one of my findings using the Scatt Shooter Training System.

To be clear I have no professional coaching experience. I am merely showing what I have learned tonight, how I learned it, and my plan to move forward with what could help me produce better results.

In the below Pictures you will notice I am focused on my speed chart. The blue line is consistent with all 9 charts because it is one of my better lines. I like to keep record of these better performance files because I use these as a tool to determine if changes are positive or negative.

December vs October

November/December vs October

Past vs October

I frequently hear not to worry about the score you receive on Scatt; however, a drastic change in my performance results started this search to see what need fixed. with the 6 random files since October 26th I found that my results were also an average of 4-6 points lower (using the decimal scoring). So after much effort I found that the single biggest change was here in my speed charts

As you can see in November and December I am approximately 35 to 40mm/Sec faster than October and my other files as far back as May.

At this point I have a time frame, the End of October! That is when my results and therefore my performance started to have a slight decline. As every shooter keeps a journal (If you don’t you should) I referred back to my October notes to see what if any changes I made could have this impact. As a result, I found 3.

1 & 2 are a result of one another, I started to use a new hand-stop (because of the color) and as a result I made a few tweaks to my sling.

3. I switched from the Old Legacy RS-232 Scatt to a modern MX-2

So either the MX-2 is recording more accurately or the changes to my hand-stop are a negative change.

Whatever the culprit, I have a lead and I will move forward testing those three theories to move forward and progress with my shooting performances. because I would like to go back to seeing more of this!

Sincerely,
SSgt Keating
KennyB

Re: Scatt Results, Cause and Correction

Post by KennyB »

I have been on a similar journey this year - firstly changing from a USB SCATT to the MX-02, which definitely produces more pessimistic numbers to the USB due (we think) to it's higher resolution (sample rate).
Previously, with the USB version I would use an F-coefficient of 40 - but to get similar percentages with the MX-02 I have dropped that to 30 (one of my colleagues uses 27).

I experimented with a lower sling position on the upper arm (doesn't work for me - MUCH more evident pulse) and I also changed back to an older Anschutz handstop for a while and performance again dropped off - longer traces, faster traces, worse hold/more pulse evident.
Reverting back to my MEC handstop and a high sling position (right up into my armpit) brought all the numbers back down to where I want them.

Looking at your speed traces and comparing them with mine, yours are very flat. With mine the heartbeat becomes very evident in trace a couple of seconds before the shot is released and the shot coincides with the drop in speed. Since 2011 I have been training very hard to release the shot in the still point between heartbeats as suggested on the SCATT website:

http://www.scatt.com/articles/17/pulse-technique/

and the consistency of my results has improved dramatically. For me, the trick was to find a "cue" that indicated when the heart was contracting, recognizing the rhythm and releasing on the "offbeat". Being a musician helps with this...
It's another thing to focus on during your triggering process but after a while it becomes semi-automatic.

Something to think about anyway.

Keep us posted and good luck,
Ken.
GGibson

Post by GGibson »

I assume Scatt was set up with 50 yard target
What f-coefficient did you use?
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

All my training is Prone with Zero F-coefficient, and this is with the A-50 (ISSF 50 meter target)
KennyB wrote:I have been on a similar journey this year - firstly changing from a USB SCATT to the MX-02, which definitely produces more pessimistic numbers to the USB due (we think) to it's higher resolution (sample rate).
I was wondering if anyone else had this type experience Kenny, the MX2 should definitely be faster, its not running through a printer cable to a USB adapter.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

I dont think changing F changes speed graph. You can change F after you shoot and see where the holes move
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Thedrifter wrote:I was wondering if anyone else had this type experience Kenny, the MX2 should definitely be faster, its not running through a printer cable to a USB adapter.
I personally know of three other people (all of whom I have discussed this with) who have had the same experience.
One of them emailed SCATT about it.

BTW, did you really take 49.4 seconds on aim for shot 32 in the string you posted?

K.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

KennyB wrote: BTW, did you really take 49.4 seconds on aim for shot 32 in the string you posted?
Probably,

there may have been a shot rejected their too.

now i gotta check...