IZH-46 m dumb questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
marathonshoe

IZH-46 m dumb questions

Post by marathonshoe »

I recently purchased a like new IZH-46 that is roughly 10 years old. It shoots strong but strangely not every time. Occasionally it simply doesn't. Pull the trigger and nothing but a click? Repump and it's fine. It's acting like I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to figure out what I might have done to cause the miss fire. Any ideas?
Another dumb question... the manual suggests applying oil the the vent hole. Where is it?
Gwhite

Re: IZH-46 m dumb questions

Post by Gwhite »

You may not be pulling the cocking lever quite far enough forward to cock the trigger mechanism. The breech lever needs to pop all the way up. Alternatively, get in the habit of pulling the breech lever back until you feel it stop before inserting a pellet. Don't pull hard against the stop, you can jam or break things. You should be able to feel the trigger system click internally the same as when you dry fire.

The vent hole is the small hole just behind the breech. To get the best coverage internally, lift the breech lever to access the hole, but not far enough to cock it. Put a drop of oil down in the hole, and store the pistol overnight, muzzle down. Use oil designed for compressed air pistols, or go to your local home store (like Home Depot) & buy a small bottle of compressed air tool oil. It's just as good, and much cheaper.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Air tool oil is too thin, especially for older seals, which harden with age. Use Pellgun oil from Crosman, it will keep the old seals going.
Last edited by Lenny on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Air tool oil was recommended to me by the head air-gunsmith at Pyramyd, specifically for the IZH's. He's worked on more of them than just about anyone in the US. I've used plenty of Crosman oil, and the viscosity difference between it and the air tool oil I use is minor, if it's there at all.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I lubricate my 46M and 103 by applying a small amount of FWB special grease on the pump head when the cocking handle is fully extended. Then I work the piston back and forth and fire the pistol a couple of times.
Attachments
IZH46 lubrication foto taken from Airgun Blog by BB.jpg
IZH46 lubrication foto taken from Airgun Blog by BB.jpg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Gwhite wrote:Air tool oil was recommended to me by the head air-gunsmith at Pyramyd, specifically for the IZH's. He's worked on more of them than just about anyone in the US. I've used plenty of Crosman oil, and the viscosity difference between it and the air tool oil I use is minor, if it's there at all.
Pellgun oil is noticeably thicker than A-T oil. If I had to use a substitute, it would be 30W non-detergent motor oil, which is closer in thickness. In fact that's what I used before Pellgun oil. My two IZH46M's are 11 and 12 year old. One still has the original seals, the other had to be resealed after I tried A-T oil on it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Lenny wrote:Pellgun oil is noticeably thicker than A-T oil. If I had to use a substitute, it would be 30W non-detergent motor oil, which is closer in thickness. In fact that's what I used before Pellgun oil. My two IZH46M's are 11 and 12 year old. One still has the original seals, the other had to be resealed after I tried A-T oil on it.
Must be the oil you used, or a coincidence. I coach a team with 14 IZH's, and we've been using air tool oil for several years now without any issues.

The stuff I bought was Bosch, but a search indicates Home Depot no longer sells it. However, it looks suspiciously like the Dewalt they now carry for $3:

Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I bought Huskey brand air tool oil at home depot. It's possible there are differences between brands.
Rover

Post by Rover »

We have a bottle of air tool oil laying around at the range. I used some to dilute my 20 year old container of Beeman chamber oil (it was like glue).
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

How much does the IZH-46m weigh? In Grams or Oz, either way doesn't matter. Use a good scale. please.

I've been impressed with how this pistol works. But every time I pick one up, I'm always impressed with how much it weighs... So I'm curious to see a real number, please.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Rover wrote:We have a bottle of air tool oil laying around at the range. I used some to dilute my 20 year old container of Beeman chamber oil (it was like glue).
Afaik, vintage Beeman chamber lube was the same silicone oil that the RC car crowd uses in shocks. The 25wt works very well on airgun seals. Silicone isn't so great for metal-to-metal, though. Pivots and the lockworks slide smoother with synthetic motor oils and greases.

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/fluids

slofyr

Post by slofyr »

DFWdude wrote:How much does the IZH-46m weigh?....
Depending upon the grip, around 2.86 lbs. [1297g] for the '46M' model. The earlier 46 has a shorter compression chamber and is a bit lighter. My Izzy 46 with Rink weighs 2.189 lbs. [993g]
Last edited by slofyr on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

It may just be the seal is too tired to come back every time, regardless of lube. http://www.pilkguns.com/ has a nice tutorial on changing the seal. Not at all difficult.

PS There are really only four type of "oil". Animal, vegetable (Castrol), mineral (just about all motor oil) and synthetic. All the rest is additives and marketing BS. A $3 quart of car oil isn't a whole lot different from a $5/half ounce of "gun" oil.

PPS. Love the IZH 46M. I still shoot it better than several different PCPs that I've tried. Including my Walther with the silver wrapped barrel that I fell in love with on looks alone.

Just be aware that that lump of wood on the back end of the Izzy isn't the grip. That's the shipping crate for the grip. You and Mr. Dremel get to remove the shipping crate one bit of sawdust at a time to find your grip inside.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
marathonshoe

Post by marathonshoe »

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like it's seals. The failure occurs at the same rate no matter what I do. I've oiled every spot possible with crosman oil and tried every loading combo/ technique possible. Sorry I didn't intend to start a oil thread which seems almost religious.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

I'm guessing that it's probably the valve spring that needs replacing (part number 13 in the schematic in the User Manual). A simple test for this is if you try and dry fire it by opening the breech fully, then closing it again, without cycling the cocking lever, do you get a healthy click? If you don't, the aforementioned spring is your problem. It's not that difficult to change yourself. I'll point you in the right direction if this is the case.

http://cdn.pyramydair.com/site/manuals/ ... manual.pdf
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

DFWdude wrote:How much does the IZH-46m weigh? In Grams or Oz, either way doesn't matter. Use a good scale. please.

I've been impressed with how this pistol works. But every time I pick one up, I'm always impressed with how much it weighs... So I'm curious to see a real number, please.
IZH 46 1998 production (approx. 1095 grams)

IZH 46M 2014 production (approx. 1190 grams)

I hope my kitchen scale is sufficient. I weighed these as part of an attempt to quantify the difference in apparent forward weight between the 46 and 46M. I case you are interested the difference was a few ounce feet of torque.