If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Hi

In training, I'm scoring around 555, a good night is 559, bad night is 550. I've promised myself if I can reach 570s (in training) then I'll buy me a Morini 162EI titanium. Just can't seem to get away from this plateau. Haven't got a coach, all self taught.

Tom
william

Re: 555

Post by william »

Use the .22 Cal scoring ring on your Eagle-Eye. You'll have that shiny new object you've been dreaming of sooner than you could have imagined.
scausi

Post by scausi »

Tommy, just keep doing what you are doing, it doesn't happen overnight,
There is a very BIG fine line between 560 & 570.
If you want the Morini just buy one , setting yourself a goal of if & when , is setting yourself up for big bucket of negative thoughts.
In the last 5 years I have shot a 573 once @ (Club shoot) , but can shoot regular 555/560 plus.
Buy one of the many training books available , there is always something you will get out of it.
Send me you email & I will send you some training posters for you to print off, covers the basics of pistol shooting .
Cheers .S
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Goal stiing could help. Right now you don't seem to have one (yes, you have a wish - but with nospecific date attached, and no intermediate goals set to help you get there).

Your goals should never be a flat score (eg 570), because mental you limit yourself. Make goal "a minimum of 570", by a given (realistic) date, and let you unconscious mind loose.

You'll need intermediate, and short term goals (written, with dates) to continue to climb, as well as an idea of which part of the shooting process is deficient and that you need to train. Mental? Trigger? Hold? Set up specific training to address the problem, and only shoot for score occasionaly (to check progress).

Also, sometimes outside rewards are adequate for improvement, but you may find internal rewards (rewarding self talk, etc) to be even more powerful.

Find a coach in your area if possible. It is almost impossible to coach via email.

Good luck.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Goals are good, but focusing on a score will distract you. I suggest that a good goal would be "nines or better". Statistically, it would be very hard to keep all your shots at least touching the 9-ring without a lot of 10's. I suspect you would almost be guaranteed a 570. Part of the problem is that you only want to concentrate on the next shot. If you have a goal based on an ensemble of shots, you start doing the math in your head and thinking about past shots rather than focusing on shooting the next 10.

We require that new shooters on the team I coach shoot better than a 500 (not my idea) to upgrade to a better pistol. I did the math once, and if all of the shots at least touch the black, it's almost guaranteed. I try to gets the students to focus on that concept, rather than the score.

The point is: The bad shots will bring your score down fast. It's important to learn what a "10" looks like & feels like so you can shoot more of them. It's also important to learn what a bad shot looks & feels like BEFORE it is fired so you can put the pistol down & start your shot process over again.

JP O’Connor (author of the excellent "On the Firing Line" series) said something like "not shooting not-10's is just as important as shooting 10's"
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

A plateau often means you've gotten the most from your current process, IF you are following your process. You may need to modify an element to move further. Always stay positive, look for what elements produce better results and, as others have said, let go of the score during shooting.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Hi all

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply but have been so busy with things.

Great replies, I will learn from each of them, thanks very much!

Tom