Planning to buy a new .22 sport pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CamelNL

Planning to buy a new .22 sport pistol

Post by CamelNL »

I'm planning to buy a new sport pistol to replace my MG2. The MG is a good pistol but there is a creep in the trigger which i cant get out. I saw on some topics in different sites that is normal with the MG but i don't like it. Also in the past i had a problem with the feeding, so i think its time for me to say goodbye to the MG and look for something else.

What brands / model would you guys consider buying?
Rover

Re: Planning to buy a new .22 sport pistol

Post by Rover »

First, I would consider finding a good pistolsmith.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Second, get a Pardini SP.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Nothing wrong with MG2's! The creep can be adjusted out. If yours is tired then buy a new one.
j-team

Post by j-team »

rmca wrote:Second, get a Pardini SP.
Yep, it's a no brainer. World Cup final just held...100% Pardini in both Rapid Fire and Sport Pistol.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

jbshooter wrote:Nothing wrong with MG2's! The creep can be adjusted out. If yours is tired then buy a new one.
I tried a lot of adjustments but i realy cant get it better then i got it right now. When i put my finger on the trigger right before it strikes you feel a creep and then it goes bang. Its not much but enough to give me some irritations about it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

See my post above.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

As someone earlier said that creep can be adjusted out. This is accomplished by turning the allen screw behind the trigger in an anticlockwise direction. There is another extremely small allen screw that is spring tensioned housed within the outer screw for final release pressure. After adjusting the larger outer screw anticlockwise until a perfect release is obtained ( using the Allen key with the shortened end ) you may have to turn the small inner screw clockwise a little to get 1000 grams once more. Make any changes in small amounts.

Failing everything else do as Rover suggested, and find a gunsmith that understands how the MG trigger is adjusted. I have owned four of them and once adjusted correctly the trigger is as good as you would want.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

2012: SSP-E: The Worlds most expensive Standard Pistol!
January 2015: New MG2
CamelNL wrote:Yesterday I picked up my new MG2. I'm really impressed with the first results.
So i added the photo.

April 2015: MG2 Woes

CamelNL wrote:A few monthes ago i bought myself a new Matchguns MG2. It worked flawless and i can shoot realy well with it but after a few monthes its is bugging me a bit.

Yesterday he refused to extract a cartridge which causes to double feed a cartridge. Sometimes he extracts not enough ; then a empty cartridge is stuck in the frame. You guys have any idea what it can be?
May 2015: MG2 Woes
CamelNL wrote:If i use pistol ammo in my MG2 it jammes after a few shots and miss feeds. The Rifle ammo seems a bit more powerfull wich extracts the empty shell better.

Today: Time for a new gun!
CamelNL wrote:I'm planning to buy a new sport pistol to replace my MG2. The MG is a good pistol but there is a creep in the trigger which i cant get out. I saw on some topics in different sites that is normal with the MG but i don't like it. Also in the past i had a problem with the feeding, so i think its time for me to say goodbye to the MG and look for something else.

What brands / model would you guys consider buying?

Yeah.... Get a Pardini SP. Save yourself some long term woes. Pilk chipped in awhile back regarding novelty vs. value.

I shot a MG-2 for awhile. It was a finicky bastard that had to be fastidiously clean and have nice ammunition. Even then it would banana cartridges with the elevator occasionally due to the magazine cartridge stop hooking on the cannilure of the cartridge and slowing it down. Perhaps the only saving grace of Matchguns is the goodwill of the owner Mr. Calzetti. Mr. Morini is also a master of ergonomics; he has left a long and lasting impression in human interface.

Even so: I find it hard to recommend them; get a Pardini. SP is more tested, however the Rapidfire has proven reliable to date.
Image Image
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Yeah im not lucky with my pistols. The walther is gone beceause of electrical problems. After ?.000 shooting the battery broke down and it cost 20euro per battery (or 6 months in repair). After it was fixed the battery broke down even more often.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

CamelNL wrote:Yeah im not lucky with my pistols. The walther is gone beceause of electrical problems. After ?.000 shooting the battery broke down and it cost 20euro per battery (or 6 months in repair). After it was fixed the battery broke down even more often.
Damn, other than the horrendous price I quite fancy having a go with a SSP-E.
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

Pardini too break! We have a few in my club and a few weeks ago during training two of them jammed a few times each!
I would get the trigger fixed and ask also for the new cartridge feeder. Now the don't jam even with cheep cartridge.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

SamEEE wrote:
CamelNL wrote:Yeah im not lucky with my pistols. The walther is gone beceause of electrical problems. After ?.000 shooting the battery broke down and it cost 20euro per battery (or 6 months in repair). After it was fixed the battery broke down even more often.
Damn, other than the horrendous price I quite fancy having a go with a SSP-E.
Have to say that the Walther itself never broke. Only the "cheap chinese" batteries. But its very hard to get them. That was also Walthers problem, they didnt had spare batteries in stock so the need to order them.

I have on my list now;
- Morini
- Pardini
-Walther (SSP)

Mainly i choose these for the angled grip. I think its choosing out of 3 good ones only i hope i got lucky with it this time.
rmca

Post by rmca »

CamelNL wrote:
jbshooter wrote:Nothing wrong with MG2's! The creep can be adjusted out. If yours is tired then buy a new one.
I tried a lot of adjustments but i realy cant get it better then i got it right now. When i put my finger on the trigger right before it strikes you feel a creep and then it goes bang. Its not much but enough to give me some irritations about it.
That sounds like a little burr on either the sear or hammer, or it's just dirt that gives you that feeling.
If you are comfortable taking the pistol apart, I would advise you to do so, and give it a proper cleaning.
And when I say apart, I mean dismantling all the trigger components.
When you are cleaning it check the sear and hammer notch for any burr or rough edges. These can be carefully stoned out. A small fine file or some fine sandpaper (400+) will do to...
If you're not comfortable taking the gun apart that way, find someone who can.

That will almost certainly get rid of that creep.

I had the same feeling in my Pardini after a few years and a few thousand rounds, and a proper cleaning of the trigger components made it feel like new again.
It was just dirt rubbing between the frame and the trigger parts. Once that was gone, the trigger feels really good.

If you really set your mind on getting a new pistol, do yourself a favor and get a Pardini. They are by far the best pistol around... (insert angry comments here ;) )

Hope this helps
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

rmca wrote:
If you really set your mind on getting a new pistol, do yourself a favor and get a Pardini. They are by far the best pistol around... (insert angry comments here ;) )

Hope this helps
I just want stuff that works. I hate it if im (not only with shooting) shooting and the equipment is failing. The MG2 really isn't a bad pistol. Only after a few thousand shots you can feel the trigger is not that good anymore than when you bought it. On the Walther you didnt feel any difference between a new or old one.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Is it posible to change barrles on the pardini's? (.22 / .32)
j-team

Post by j-team »

CamelNL wrote:Is it posible to change barrles on the pardini's? (.22 / .32)
Do you mean a conversion system like Walther GSP?

Not with the normal Pardini, the SP and HP are separate pistols and the .32 bolt will not fit in the .22 frame. But, the US Bullseye version can convert between .22 and .32 but the .22 uses a special bolt (someone in the US can confirm I have this correct). See here: http://www.pardiniguns.com/store/produc ... cts_id=921
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Thank you. Is there also a way to indentify you got the latest model? Some shops are selling the pistol but i know for sure they got it in there for a while.
william

Post by william »

CamelNL wrote:Thank you. Is there also a way to indentify you got the latest model? Some shops are selling the pistol but i know for sure they got it in there for a while.
Does that really make a difference? The best pistol I ever owned was a Pardini SP that I bought (used at that) in the winter of 1991. It didn't have any of the so-called improvements, and it never had a problem. It had around 350,000 shots through it when I lost track of it, and no part ever needed to be replaced. I bought a spare extractor, recoil spring and guide "just in case"; they were still in the original plastic bags when I sold the pistol to a friend.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Another pistol that you may want to look into is the Benelli mp90
I don't have as much experience with other pistols but really like my mp90
Just a thought