My first 3 months with the new FAS 6004 and AP.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
zanemoseley

My first 3 months with the new FAS 6004 and AP.

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm pretty excited as I just blew my previous high out of the water tonight and snagged a 557 with my FAS 6004 so I figured I'd do a short write-up to commemorate the occasion. I got into AP shooting about 3 months ago as a way to practice bullseye shooting in my basement, 3 months later I think I get more enjoyment out of AP shooting than bullseye. I found my first AP purchase a bit daunting, it seemed you could either go bottom of the barrel or top end, not much in between aside from the FAS 6004, Rover also recommended it and he's never wrong ;)

Construction/Finish:

The construction seems adequate for the pricing, everything is finished well including the grips and metal surfaces. The ambi grips fit my medium sized LH somewhat well but they do feel a tad big and chunky. The majority of the gun is aluminum construction with a painted finish I believe, I would have preferred steel but that might make it a bit heavy, as it stands its well balanced to me. If nothing else they could have opted for an anodized finish which would last better than paint.

Powerplant:

The SSP powerplant is a bit underpowered only producing about 375 fps. It cocks quite easily but you pay the price when it comes to scoring targets, a lot of guessing ensues. I've been shooting cheaper american paper targets, German paper targets will help with the reduced speed. I'd much prefer a more difficult to cock gun that gets over 500 fps. Perhaps they should have a Junior model as is and beef it up for an Adult version.

Trigger:

To me this is one of the weakest parts of the pistol. It has 4 adjustments but there are a whole lot of bad triggers hidden in those 4 adjustments. I've finally got mine set where I want it and don't plan to tinker any more. I probably have it at about 2 pounds, perhaps a bit lower. If you try to go lower expect slam fires. The trigger break isn't mushy but isn't extremely crisp either. I would have preferred a better break with less adjustments. After seeing what a real match trigger feels like in my new FWB 601 rifle this pistol has a long way to go. Its more comparable to a average rimfire pistol than a match AP. I also have a Les Baer .45 and a S&W 41, both of which are far superior to this pistol but cost many times as much.

Sights:

The sights themselves are pretty good, the rear blade is all metal however I think the front "bead" is plastic. The problem lies in the adjustment, there is very little feedback when adjusting. Sometimes you turn it and get a click and sometimes you can turn a bit with no feedback. They need to work on a higher quality mechanism with a more positive system of feedback. This is easy to do but will just add some to the manufacturing costs.

Pellet Sensitivity:

I bought several types of RWS and JSB and all worked fine for my abilities except for RWS Hobby pellets, they simply won't operate in this pistol. I checked with Airguns of Arizona where I purchased and they have had the same issue. Hobby pellets are perhaps a bit too large for the chamber and weak powerplant to handle. I have recently been using inexpensive RWS Diablo Basic 7.0 grain pellets and they work wonderfully, they are what I shot the 557 with tonight.

Overview:

I think this is a great starter pistol at a fraction of the cost of a German made PCP. I would probably rate it an 8/10 taking cost into consideration, I would most definitely purchase again if given the opportunity. It doesn't feel cheap nor high end. If they improved the trigger, sight feedback and put a higher quality anodized finish on the aluminum it would be a 10/10 winner.

Here's a picture of the pistol along with a couple of the "prettier" targets from tonight.

kevinweiho

Re: My first 3 months with the new FAS 6004 and AP.

Post by kevinweiho »

Three months and you're shooting 557, that's pretty good. If you continue to shoot above 555, it's time to move on to a CO2 or pcp air pistol.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Thanks for the write-up. Interesting.

Can you dry-fire it? Pretty important feature in my opinion.

Do you think better than an IZH-46; factoring the price?
Image Image
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

SamEEE wrote:Can you dry-fire it? Pretty important feature in my opinion.
To dry fire the pistol without discharging air, just cock back until you hear a "click" and then close.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Well the IZH with lh trigger is about $240 more than the FAS, I also wasn't thrilled with having to carve away the grip to fit my medium hand.My previous high score before the 557 was a 539, guess I must have had all the moons aligned yesterday.
vonfilm

Post by vonfilm »

zanemosely,
I really enjoyed your in depth review. I would like to see more reviews like this on current and vintage Olympic pistols. Pictures are great too.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Looks like it is time to take up on Pilkguns offer and buy a compact LP10. Remember, that if you shoot 555 (in an official competition) within a year of a purchase, you should get a normal size LP10 for free (you can then sell whichever one you like less). Just make sure you know what competitions would be acceptable and that your targets are not a deal breaker. Ha-ha!
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

Good review and glad it's working out for you.
Have you tried Kruger targets?
They worked great for my IZH 46 M and now my Morini Cm162EI. I can't bear to use anything else now that I have them.
Craig B
Leon

Post by Leon »

Excellent review.....

The finish is anodized - all over. Well, at least mine is. The front sight "bead") is not plastic, but cast metal from the looks of it.

On my 6004, I changed the front sight for a wider, more precisely machined one from a FAS 604, and then took a jewellers file set and carefully widened the rear sight notch. It has a very nice sight picture now.

I do enjoy shooting mine a lot - in fact, I use it more than my Steyr LP10E.