Where can I get a replacement electronic trigger mechanism?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ketchup

Where can I get a replacement electronic trigger mechanism?

Post by Ketchup »

Hey guys

I'm trying to make something and an electric trigger mechanism (like the ones on LP10Es) would come in extremely handy. I just can't seem to find an online store that sells them. I initially wanted to just use a classic trigger mechanism for my project but I can't think of a way to get digital output from the trigger without making the trigger pull feel unnatural. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Gwhite

Re: Where can I get a replacement electronic trigger mechani

Post by Gwhite »

The problem is that there are two pieces. The electronics, and the mechanical system that activates the electronics. You can certainly buy replacement electronics boards for Morinis, but it sounds like what you want is the mechanical stuff that produces a switch closure (or equivalent). That's typically integrated tightly with the frame, which probably won't be available as a single unit. I'm hardly an expert on all the electronic triggers out there, but I haven't heard of any where the mechanical bits are in any sort of drop-in assembly or module. That would mean buying a handful of parts, and then having to machine a frame-equivalent to hold them.

The mechanical bits are also probably going to vary considerably between a standard, free or air pistol. I've always thought a photo-interuptor would completely decouple the mechanics from the firing process, but I don't know if anyone uses that vs an actual mechanical switch.Out of curiosity, I just looked at the exploded diagram for the CM84E free pistol, and it does look like the trigger & solenoid is a separate assembly.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Gwhite wrote:The problem is that there are two pieces. The electronics, and the mechanical system that activates the electronics. You can certainly buy replacement electronics boards for Morinis, but it sounds like what you want is the mechanical stuff that produces a switch closure (or equivalent). That's typically integrated tightly with the frame, which probably won't be available as a single unit. I'm hardly an expert on all the electronic triggers out there, but I haven't heard of any where the mechanical bits are in any sort of drop-in assembly or module. That would mean buying a handful of parts, and then having to machine a frame-equivalent to hold them.

The mechanical bits are also probably going to vary considerably between a standard, free or air pistol. I've always thought a photo-interuptor would completely decouple the mechanics from the firing process, but I don't know if anyone uses that vs an actual mechanical switch.Out of curiosity, I just looked at the exploded diagram for the CM84E free pistol, and it does look like the trigger & solenoid is a separate assembly.
Hello

Essentially what I want is something like [this](http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?detail=Tri) but electronic. Does that exist? I don't need the mechanical parts that launch the pellet, but just a trigger that gives me a signal once pulled. I've thought about integrating a IC switch mechanism in a classic trigger system, do you think that would interfere with the normal trigger pull's feel too much? I have access to a 3D printer so I could probably make a decent enough enclosure for all the parts if I have to. Do you know where I could get those parts you were talking about?

Thank you
j-team

Post by j-team »

Maybe you could modify a paintball electronic trigger? Would need a more refined microswitch I think, and the solenoid it quite big too.

See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tippmann-E- ... 0687755255
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

You don't say where you are. I assume that Morini would sell you the parts, but they won't be cheap.

If you can get a mechanical trigger you are happy with, you could attach a "flag" to it that would trip a photo-interuptor. That way there is no mechanical drag on the existing trigger mechanism. The trick would be getting the photo system to reliably activate at the exact point the mechanical one does. A photo sensor that trips off a reflection might be more precise.

If you are interested in air pistol, it looks like Morini's 162EI trigger mechanism is also a separable assembly.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Igor's blog has some pages on his development for an electronic trigger for the TOZ 35. Maybe there is something there you can use. I couldn't find a search function on the blog, but this is the page in which he presents the start of what he was working on:

http://toz35.blogspot.gr/2011/02/toz-35 ... -with.html

Roger
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Gwhite wrote:You don't say where you are. I assume that Morini would sell you the parts, but they won't be cheap.

If you can get a mechanical trigger you are happy with, you could attach a "flag" to it that would trip a photo-interuptor. That way there is no mechanical drag on the existing trigger mechanism. The trick would be getting the photo system to reliably activate at the exact point the mechanical one does. A photo sensor that trips off a reflection might be more precise.

If you are interested in air pistol, it looks like Morini's 162EI trigger mechanism is also a separable assembly.
I'm living in Tehran. I can't get anything here besides a regular ol' trigger mechanism for FWB pistols. I need to ship the parts I need to my grandparents in Vancouver and they come to Tehran a few times a year. This is why I strongly prefer a mod to a regular trigger mechanism.

I finally understand the photo-interruptor idea. I'll definitely work with that. Since I'm not restricted to the gun, I can extend the flag under the trigger to get more displacement when the trigger is pulled (kind of like this: https://imgur.com/a/ssppM), it'll probably work perfectly! Thanks!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I'm trying to make something
I become nervous when someone who does not appear to be a competition shooter from their query, asks where they can purchase gun parts....especially to be shipped to Tehran.
Surely a little more background would be appreciated...and the intended use.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

deadeyedick wrote:
I'm trying to make something
I become nervous when someone who does not appear to be a competition shooter from their query, asks where they can purchase gun parts....especially to be shipped to Tehran.
Surely a little more background would be appreciated...and the intended use.
Oh god, I look so suspicious. This is hilarious. I am a competition shooter, but I shoot rifle. I wrote iPhone app that gives you data about how much your hand shakes while pulling an on-screen trigger so pistol shooters can train with only their phone. I had an idea that instead of an on-screen trigger which is VERY unnatural, I mod a physical trigger so that it gives data to the phone (via a micro Arduino). I'm usually very bored and I like electronics so I sometimes try make things like this. Trust me, I'm not making a nuclear bomb with an air-pistol trigger...

I'm planning to then 3D print a iPhone case with all of the parts enclosed in it. It would make the phone much thicker but I thought having a phone with a pistol practice rig in it would be cool. I'll post the pics (and schematics/code) once I'm done
Last edited by Ketchup on Fri May 29, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Sure for an 'Air Pistol'.

Seriously though, Igor's blog would be a good place to start. It is something that I have thought about a little.

Igor went with a Strain Gauge, I do not see any benefit in a strain gauge over a microswitch except that a strain gauge could vary the weight of trigger pull through balancing the Wheatstone Bridge.

Later iterations of his electronic trigger abandoned the Strain Gauge as it made the circuit more compact and more energy efficient.

Anything Morini uses will be an off the shelf part. I have seen x-ray pictures of the Morini electronic mechanism - i'll see if I can dig them up for you.
Last edited by SamEEE on Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

LOL

I'll definitely look though Igor's blog. It seems like it could help me quite a bit. My goal right now is to keep the integrity of an actual air pistol's trigger feel and a microswitch seems like a better idea for my goal.
Last edited by Ketchup on Fri May 29, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Might interest you: http://luke1984.blogspot.co.nz/search/l ... %20Trigger

I see he uses an old mouse for source of the microswitch.
Image Image
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ketchup wrote:I wrote iPhone app that gives you data about how much your hand shakes while pulling an on-screen trigger so pistol shooters can train with only their phone.
I hate to put a dampener on your idea, but surely the only thing this will train you in is pulling a trigger, either virtual or actual, on a phone.

I doubt whether it would be beneficial, and could even be detrimental, to shooting your match gun.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

SamEEE wrote:Might interest you: http://luke1984.blogspot.co.nz/search/l ... %20Trigger

I see he uses an old mouse for source of the microswitch.
I'm not very familiar with air pistols but I've been told that their triggers are heavier than rifle triggers. I'm not sure exactly how much force is required to click a mouse but I did a few clicks on my laptop then tried to do the identical clicks on a scale and it's maximum reading was about 170g. The ISSF legal minimum is 500g but a LP50 trigger can be adjusted to as low as 200g, so I can cancel out the mouse button's weight. The mouse idea is great. Thanks!
Last edited by Ketchup on Fri May 29, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

David Levene wrote:
Ketchup wrote:I wrote iPhone app that gives you data about how much your hand shakes while pulling an on-screen trigger so pistol shooters can train with only their phone.
I hate to put a dampener on your idea, but surely the only thing this will train you in is pulling a trigger, either virtual or actual, on a phone.

I doubt whether it would be beneficial, and could even be detrimental, to shooting your match gun.
I guess. A practice I remember my coach giving me when I was a pistol shooter was holding my hand in the air, aiming at something and keeping it steady. I'm trying to quantify how steady the hand is being held and adding a trigger pull component to it. I don't think it'll revolutionize anything, I'm just bored and looking for a fun project to work on.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

RandomShotz wrote:Igor's blog has some pages on his development for an electronic trigger for the TOZ 35. Maybe there is something there you can use. I couldn't find a search function on the blog, but this is the page in which he presents the start of what he was working on:

http://toz35.blogspot.gr/2011/02/toz-35 ... -with.html

Roger
Thanks for the link. It's definitely useful.