Steyr LP50

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
podunckshooter

Steyr LP50

Post by podunckshooter »

this may appear to be a crazy question, but if i were to manufacture a 6 shot magazine on an EDM, would it work in the gun? We have a local fun shoot that the gun must load 6 rounds, and i would like to use it, as it is better than any rimfire or center fire gun that i own, for many reasons.
David Levene

Re: Steyr LP50

Post by David Levene »

I doubt it, but might be wrong.

I think you would need to stick to the original dimensions as the magazine is moved by a spring in the magazine port.
micken

Post by micken »

The magazine housing does not have the physical capacity to accommodate a six shot magazine. Without extending the mechanism six shots can not be registered in the space available.
podunckshooter

Post by podunckshooter »

maybe i wasn't clear with my question. My plan was to make an entirely new magazine that will hold 6.
renzo

Post by renzo »

You'll have to modify the firing mechanism, it is designed to provide 5 shots without recocking, not 6 (AFAIK)
rmca

Post by rmca »

podunckshooter wrote:maybe i wasn't clear with my question. My plan was to make an entirely new magazine that will hold 6.
Even if you make a new six shot magazine, that magazine is pushed from right to left by a spring, and I don't think there is enough travel of that spring to accommodate a sixth shot.
Also you wouldn't be able to load the sixth shot because the spring had bottomed out by the fifth pellet.

Hope this helps
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

podunckshooter wrote:maybe i wasn't clear with my question. My plan was to make an entirely new magazine that will hold 6.
Fellow in NZ did it some years ago with an LP5, new magazine machined from bar stock, I have the article at home somewhere, give me a few days away for work and I will scan and post a link.

All the best from the antipodes
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Peter E wrote:
Fellow in NZ did it some years ago with an LP5, new magazine machined from bar stock, I have the article at home somewhere, give me a few days away for work and I will scan and post a link.

All the best from the antipodes
Beltfed is the next logical step.
Image Image
podunckshooter

Post by podunckshooter »

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully SamEEE, will have some good news.
micken

Post by micken »

Well I'm now looking forward to Peter E's further input.

That and a continuous circular belt feed, or a snail drum :-)
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

My bet is it would be possible.
When firing the gun it cocks and fires for a 6th shot.

Put me down for a £5 bet. ;0)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

nick marshall wrote:My bet is it would be possible.
When firing the gun it cocks and fires for a 6th shot.
Cocking the gun isn't a problem, that's done by air.

My concern is whether the spring in the magazine housing will handle the extra pellet hole in the magazine; does it have enough travel to move a 6-shot magazine the required distance.
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

Sorry not back home until Friday.

Did a web search last night the following article that may be the one I was thinking of, unfortunately no online *.pdf that I could find.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/handgun/handgun-7.html

Anyone one on the North, South or West Islands have that particular back issue in their reading room? Page 22 according to the index.

Peter E.
podunckshooter

Post by podunckshooter »

Found this in a google search:

If you are at the Cup, get hold of a New Zealander by the name of Enrico Hoover, he has just set one up for NRA AP Practice (lots of weakhand). He modified his to 6 shot and it is awesome. We can shoot Plates and Practical (scaled down) in his yard. He is working on a 1/2 size mover when he gets home.
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

podunckshooter wrote:Found this in a google search:

If you are at the Cup, get hold of a New Zealander by the name of Enrico Hoover, he has just set one up for NRA AP Practice (lots of weakhand). He modified his to 6 shot and it is awesome. We can shoot Plates and Practical (scaled down) in his yard. He is working on a 1/2 size mover when he gets home.
In his yard!

Half his luck over on the West Island (of New Zealand or Australia to you Northern Hemispherians) you can only fire your AP on the authorised, approved, accredited, licensed, mandated, surveyed etc etc range, with an appropriately authorised non shooting range officer controlling proceedings.

Ah the life of Kiwi!
podunckshooter

Post by podunckshooter »

The question is, how do i get a hold of him to get a magazine???

Thanks,
Rodgunner

Post by Rodgunner »

It appears that none (That I know)of the top world shooters use the LP50 in competition. Any one knows the reason (s)? Are there significant disadvantages with this pistol? Is it intended just for training purposes only?Thanks
rmca

Post by rmca »

That gun was designed for a specific ISSF match that has been discarded a couple of years ago. Much like the running target events.

For the current type of air pistol match, that gun although capable of pretty decent scores, does have some shortcomings due to it's nature (5 shoots semi automatic). It moves a LOT more that any single pellet gun...

Also, for air pistol you can only load one pellet at a time.

Hope this helps
Rodgunner

Post by Rodgunner »

Appreciate the reply. Does the pistol MOVES a lot even on single pellet shooting or always? Can weight be added to compensate for that ? Thanks
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rmca wrote:That gun was designed for a specific ISSF match that has been discarded a couple of years ago.
It is still used for the 5-Shot Air Pistol Match under the ISSF's Sport For All program.

We also use it in the UK to shoot the 25m matches.