Mod 41

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dek

Mod 41

Post by dek »

Who's making bbls for the mod 41 that are available (w/o a wait time) and of good reputation? Thanks, Dennis
Rover

Re: Mod 41

Post by Rover »

Smith and Wesson.
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

Clark
Rover

Post by Rover »

I had a short barrel that didn't shoot as well/accurately as my long barrel.

A little fire-lapping went a long way.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

On a 22 is is also possible to re line an old/bad barrel by drilling it out and putting in a steel sleeve.

Many gunsmiths know how to do this. I am pretty sure this is how the AMU keeps their 40 year old Hammerlis still shooting well.

One caveat though on the barrel lining thing. I have a Marvel unit that has been accurized this way, and on this gun, I have broken three firing pins in four years.
My other unit which I shoot more, has never had a broken firing pin.

I suspect it is because the harder steel of the lining is a lot tougher on firing pins than the softer steel of the original barrel.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

I would have the retaining pin/breech block checked. Something has to stop firing pin.. Make sure the firining pin is not asborbing all the shock, of the hammer.. or there is a machining defect in the breech block firing pin bore..a close examine should reveal a cause / remedy. It's not the liner..
Not to Monday morning quarterback Bob, but I would never reline a Marvel or AA conversion.. Simply replace with a Lothar Walther 16mm diameter barrel.
Some of the early Marvel barrels were pressed/pinned in. Simply drill/ream/tap the barrel retaining lug .375 X 40 thread and screw the barrel in.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

dek wrote:Who's making bbls for the mod 41 that are available (w/o a wait time) and of good reputation? Thanks, Dennis
I would line the barrel..A good remedy for nearly all factory 41 barrels..
When done correctly, the liner is suspended, stress free, in a retaining compound.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Jerry Keefer wrote:I would have the retaining pin/breech block checked. Something has to stop firing pin.. Make sure the firining pin is not asborbing all the shock, of the hammer.. or there is a machining defect in the breech block firing pin bore..a close examine should reveal a cause / remedy. It's not the liner..
Not to Monday morning quarterback Bob, but I would never reline a Marvel or AA conversion.. Simply replace with a Lothar Walther 16mm diameter barrel.
Some of the early Marvel barrels were pressed/pinned in. Simply drill/ream/tap the barrel retaining lug .375 X 40 thread and screw the barrel in.

Ok, Jerry I will check that. David Sams built the gun. I thought the lining was unnecessary also. My other one shoots just as well.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Isabel1130 wrote:
Jerry Keefer wrote:I would have the retaining pin/breech block checked. Something has to stop firing pin.. Make sure the firining pin is not absorbing all the shock, of the hammer.. or there is a machining defect in the breech block firing pin bore..a close examine should reveal a cause / remedy. It's not the liner..

Ok, Jerry I will check that. David Sams built the gun. I thought the lining was unnecessary also. My other one shoots just as well.
In his defense, I reline/rebarrel almost every 22 intended for serious competition.. I have done countless conversions, and absolutely every 41 that crosses the door step.. 22s are like pizza.. Even a bad one is still pretty good..:):) It's a very inherently accurate cartridge. And shoots well even in poorly made guns.. High Masters looking for that edge, of well under an inch 50 yard grouping demand the premium match barrels.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Folks here are mentioning only expensive fixes.

Take a tired bore brush and wrap it with a couple of strands from a copper Chore Boy scouring pad.

A few strokes will strip the lead right out.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Rover wrote:Folks here are mentioning only expensive fixes.

Take a tired bore brush and wrap it with a couple of strands from a copper Chore Boy scouring pad.

A few strokes will strip the lead right out.

Agreed. If leading is the problem, that would be a good first step.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Isabel, I have a question and a point to make. In another post here, "best 22 conversion to buy" you stated that you had trouble breaking firing pins in one of your Marvel units, and indicated that this was something that did not build confidence, leading readers to believe that there may be quality problems with the Marvel Unit. However, here you state that the problem unit had been relined and you thought the liner might be the culprit for the broken firing pins. No mention was made of this modification in your other post where you stated that you would recommend the Nelson unit, seemingly due to quality issues with the Marvel. So, I would be interested to know, was this unit producing poor accuracy to cause it to be relined and as it came from the Marvel, was it performing as expected and not breaking firing pins?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

BEA wrote:Isabel, I have a question and a point to make. In another post here, "best 22 conversion to buy" you stated that you had trouble breaking firing pins in one of your Marvel units, and indicated that this was something that did not build confidence, leading readers to believe that there may be quality problems with the Marvel Unit. However, here you state that the problem unit had been relined and you thought the liner might be the culprit for the broken firing pins. No mention was made of this modification in your other post where you stated that you would recommend the Nelson unit, seemingly due to quality issues with the Marvel. So, I would be interested to know, was this unit producing poor accuracy to cause it to be relined and as it came from the Marvel, was it performing as expected and not breaking firing pins?
A liner has nothing to do with firing pin function..
There is some other issue causing pin failure that needs to be determined..
BEA

Post by BEA »

That was my thought too. I was just responding to his indication that this problem was due to two different issues, in two different post topics. I just thought that was odd.
Last edited by BEA on Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BEA

Post by BEA »

The first thing I would do is take the slide off the unit and push the firing pin all the way in. If the nose of the firing pin extends beyond the face of the slide, then there is a problem with with the firing pin stop. This means the firing pin is hitting the back of the barrel and damage will result. On my Marvel unit, the firing pin does not extend out beyond the slide face. If Isabel's unit has been excessively dry fired, perhaps this has damaged it. I dry fire my unit a lot, but block the firing pin from being hit by the hammer.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

BEA wrote:The first thing I would do is take the slide off the unit and push the firing pin all the way in. If the nose of the firing pin extends beyond the face of the slide, then there is a problem with with the firing pin stop. This means the firing pin is hitting the back of the barrel and damage will result. On my Marvel unit, the firing pin does not extend out beyond the slide face. If Isabel's unit has been excessively dry fired, perhaps this has damaged it. I dry fire my unit a lot, but block the firing pin from being hit by the hammer.

Not much dry firing at all. Just a few times in a match before I start to shoot.

The first time the firing pin broke, it broke back a ways. The gun still functioned but the lose firing pin created a divot in the barrel face.

The second two times, it was just a tiny bit of the tip. I have talked to several people who have had their marvel firing pin break in the same place.

So maybe I am just unlucky, or there is another issue like the block.

Assuming it does not break again before Perry, I will take this up with the Marvel people when I get there. As little use as this gun has seen, three times in five years is way too many.

Marvel should ether have better pins or a redesign may be in order,...
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

BEA wrote:The first thing I would do is take the slide off the unit and push the firing pin all the way in. If the nose of the firing pin extends beyond the face of the slide, then there is a problem with with the firing pin stop. This means the firing pin is hitting the back of the barrel and damage will result. On my Marvel unit, the firing pin does not extend out beyond the slide face. If Isabel's unit has been excessively dry fired, perhaps this has damaged it. I dry fire my unit a lot, but block the firing pin from being hit by the hammer.

I just checked it as you suggested. No evidence that this third firing pin is extending out and striking the face.

Maybe Chuck Holt's replacement will prove to be the permanent fix.