Recoil buffers and cycling

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

inthebeech

Recoil buffers and cycling

Post by inthebeech »

Bullseye Pistolsmths question I suspect.
My Wad gun came back with the above part installed and got me thinking about the designed slide travel. Isn't this travel now shortened and if so how does this not affect ejection? Just curious I suppose since the recent trip to the smith was to lower the ejection port and add a rail and extended ejector so cases would eject properly with a dot on the slide (I have a built up mil-spec gun so previously with open sights did not need to care where cases were going).
I've only put a few rounds through it so far with no ejection issues. The gun does what I asked the smith to make it do. I am just curious if ejection is, or would be affected, when one adds and removes the buffer.
Ed
GunRunner

Re: Recoil buffers and cycling

Post by GunRunner »

recoil buffers are not needed with bullseye loads, just fit the best recoil spring to your load and take the buffer out. Its only purpose is to cushion the frame from a super hard recoil which you wont have with the proper spring and bullseye load
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

inthebeech,

I agree with GunRunner. Do not need a recoil buffer in a Bullseye Gun, as long as the proper spring and loads are being used. Wasn't

having any issues at all with my Clark Custom 1911 Wadgun in .45ACP caliber. But, several years ago, I installed a recoil buffer in that

pistol out of curiosity. After all, what could it hurt? Found out real fast during Slow Fire. It wouldn't eject at all! Out came the buffer,

never to be used in that gun again. Checked things over later on. Discovered that the amount of slide travel was definitely

shortened with the recoil buffer in place. That explained the ejection failures. Is it possible that your gunsmith clipped a few coils off

of your recoil spring? This would create room for the buffer and would allow enough slide travel for proper function. Just a guess.
inthebeech

Post by inthebeech »

Yeah I'm taking it out. I was just curious since the rearward travel distance (I think) is set by the height of the plug and the buffer essentially lengthens the plug. Plus I don't feel like tracking round count and replacing at some arbitrary level of usage. And finally, REAL MEN DON'T HAVE ELASTOMERS IN THEIR 45'S!!!
David M

Post by David M »

I know that i am thinking 9mm but a .45 should be the same.
With the same reduced target load will the recoil spring in a 5"
frame be lighter or heavier than in a 6" frame or be the same ?