Clicking to Centre

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
top end

Clicking to Centre

Post by top end »

How common is the practice of 'clicking to centre' i.e. taking a click either horizontally or vertically(or both) after a shot that is not centred. Some talk of this on the AR forum, with the suggestion that an increase in scores by about 6 points is the result. I have heard of this as a training method, but would like to know if it is used by many in a match, and if so, what are the reasons/ benefits for pistol shooters.
Rover

Re: Clicking to Centre

Post by Rover »

I have NEVER heard of this from a pistol shooter, probably because of the unreliability of "chasing your shots."

I suppose it might be done by a "newbie."
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

AR is much more precise than Pistol so I wouldn't have thought this would be such a good idea.

Back in the day when I was shooting well (goodness, I've got a long memory) I would adjust the sights if the shot hole was more than half a ring away from where I called it. That was in the 25m events.

In pistol, learn to call the shots accurately before using the sights to chase the shot. There are too many reasons why it might not be in the middle; most having nothing to do with sight adjustment.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Remember they were talking decimal scoring and elite rifle shooters. Whole different game than pistol. Shots lower in score than 10.4 are bad shots.
David M

Post by David M »

I have used "clicking to centre" for years.
Clicking to centre for called shots only and only one- two clicks,
remember that one click will not take you out of the ten ring.
A long time ago I was not sure it worked all that well and a
double backing target to show total group helped a lot.

But now shooting on electronic targets with mean point of
impact displayed, I know it works.
It can take a number of matchs but you end up with sights
settings less than 3-4 clicks in any direction. (wind/light)

Most shooters are too afraid to move the sights in a match.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

David M wrote:Clicking to centre for called shots only and only one- two clicks,
I'm not sure what you're saying David.

Do you click if the shot IS where you called it or if it ISN'T where you called it.

I wouldn't understand the former, but fully understand the latter.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I use my sighter target as a backer, so I might have 20-30 shots on it. I KNOW where my zero is, no matter what I may be thinking.
David M

Post by David M »

If I fire a good shot and call it, if its not where I called it but slightly off
I will click to centre by 1-2 clicks.
In 20-30 shots you will slowly centre the sights bit by bit.
A backing target with 20-30 shots on it helps but it may be 10-20 shots too
late for a sight correction, with loss of points.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You'd be right if I didn't already know where my zero is. It didn't change from the last time I shot.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

You'd be right if I didn't already know where my zero is. It didn't change from the last time I shot.
This may be true of the pistol sights, however other factors such as lighting and muscle function may not be in the same place they were left.
rmca

Post by rmca »

deadeyedick wrote:
This may be true of the pistol sights, however other factors such as lighting and muscle function may not be in the same place they were left.
Those factors are the reason why you have a 15 minute preparation and sighting period. If you can't adjust your sights there, you are not using that time wisely.

Another reason why that technique is not used as much in pistol, is the amount of adjustment a click on a pistol has in relation to a rifle. A rifle rear sight has a much more fine adjustment than a pistol has.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

While adjusting a click or two might not have a lot of effect on the real point of impact, it should remove from your thoughts "the last shot(s) went left, I must yank the next one right" etc, and then you shoot a doughnut shaped group as your subconscious goes mad trying to fix it.

Then there are unknown effects of lighting, range geometry, transportation of the gun etc. which might have moved the point of impact.