1911 Target Use

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ser2711

1911 Target Use

Post by ser2711 »

I would like an advice about which scope better for 50 yards Target use with my .45 1911.
between Red dot or Leupold 2x..
RJP

Re: 1911 Target Use

Post by RJP »

Red dot sights with no magnification work best. This is what almost all bullseye shooters use.

Some people have tried using 2X long eye relief scopes on their pistols and they lose trigger control when the cross hairs move over the target.

If you can maintain trigger control, then it does not matter what sight you use. For many years, I shot with iron sights and they work just fine as long as you can focus on the front sight.
ser2711

Post by ser2711 »

I agree with you about iron sights.. I shoot competition from 1973 in Italy and of course scopes are not allowed in Centerfire competitions
I just want organize in my Milano club a competition at 50 meters with .45ACP..with scope.
Maybe my " Ultra Dot Four 4" is not up yo date.. in bright sun I cannot see the red dot..Maybe I should buy something more new and competitive.
In any case I like the cross hair in my Leupold, only problem is a little too heavy..
Rover

Post by Rover »

You may need a new battery.

Red Dot is easier to use than a scope (used both).
dronning

Post by dronning »

If it's not the battery and you are the original buyer, Ultradot may replace it for free.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

ser2711,

"..in bright sun I cannot see the red dot...". Didn't your UltraDot come with a polarizing filter? The front end of your sight is

threaded. This may not be apparent at first. There usually is a narrow "trim ring" attached when the sights are assembled.

Take that ring off and attach the filter. Once in place, the filter's housing can be rotated to provide the contrast that's

preferred. If you don't have one, UltraDot does sell all kinds of spare parts.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The sun doesn't get much brighter than here in the Arizona desert (well, maybe the Sahara). I have yet to hear a complaint about "not bright enough", but I notice my dot dims as the battery weakens.

Obviously, this isn't a problem with a scope, but I would still choose the dot.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

ser2711,

One more thing I forgot to suggest in my previous posting. Hope these ideas are of some help. UltraDot sights also come with an "extension tube". They are

available for both the 1" and 30mm sights. These tubes are thin-walled, threaded on both ends and measure about 1 1/4" long. With the trim ring removed, you

can install the tube directly to the front end of your sight. From here you have two options:

1.) Install the trim ring back onto the tube. This will give you a "sunshade" about 1 1/2" long. This set-up may block some of the sunlight that's making it hard to

see the red dot.

2.) Or remove the trim ring and attach the polarizing filter to the end of the extension tube. This arrangement, along with a fresh battery, should provide a good

dot image that's easy to see.

Again, UltraDot does sell whatever spare parts you might not have. Do let us know what ends up working for you!