need iron sight advice for 1911 target use...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

You might want to try a Bomar rib with an extended sight and accuracy tuner. It gives you a 7" sighting plane. Bomar is out of business but they can sometimes be found on the internet. While you are at it, check out a Kensight. Hope this helps
Chris
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

I get eye checkups yearly. I still have 20/20 and he says I don't need glasses. But, at age 66 other things come into play, my close vision sucks. The Doc tells me what I need for reading, and its a different one for computer, think its 1.75 and 1.25. The 1.25 was still too strong for my sights using a Bo-mar on the .45. I refuse to go to a Red Dot.

I did what a previous post said, went to Wamart, stretched out my hand to gage the distance to the reading at the reading glass turnstile, and put on different reading glasses. They had 1.00 which was just right for me, and have been using them for about five years.

I shoot HP rifle, and Long Range/Palma, I shoot match (aperture) sights, and wont go to scope for that either.
fieldsj66

Re:

Post by fieldsj66 »

Ken O wrote:I get eye checkups yearly. I still have 20/20 and he says I don't need glasses. But, at age 66 other things come into play, my close vision sucks. The Doc tells me what I need for reading, and its a different one for computer, think its 1.75 and 1.25. The 1.25 was still too strong for my sights using a Bo-mar on the .45. I refuse to go to a Red Dot.

I did what a previous post said, went to Wamart, stretched out my hand to gage the distance to the reading at the reading glass turnstile, and put on different reading glasses. They had 1.00 which was just right for me, and have been using them for about five years.

I shoot HP rifle, and Long Range/Palma, I shoot match (aperture) sights, and wont go to scope for that either.

I applaud your tenacity. I just couldn't cut the small windows of sight picture using the iron sights that were elliason(?). had to do with some 1.25. i liked the idea posted about filing it down to a "U" but couldn't bring myself to it. Still thinking about it though... What kind of set up do you use for your apertures?
Rover

Re: need iron sight advice for 1911 target use...

Post by Rover »

Well, did you nut up and cut the "U". How do you like it?
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

If you are trying to get a clear view of the target and the post at the same time it's impossible and that not how it works. If you focus on the front sight correctly the target will be blurry.

I agree a sub six hold for bulls eye is the way to go as white background with proper sight alignment provides a clear sight picure.

If its still an issue a fiber dot front sight could be an answer.
fieldsj66

Post by fieldsj66 »

Rover

Yes I did. Love it. Hit the front post from base up with a little green and put a thin line of white just at the crest. Sighted in for the bull to rest just inside the edges of the U.

also had to back up on the added vision correction. backed up to a +.5