singing in your head makes better shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Re: singing in your head makes better shooting?

Post by seamaster »

In precision, do you shoot with your conscious mind or unconscious mind?

In sport psychology, you can say you are fully engaged in the PROCESS.

Is that "process" conscious or unconscious?

Could that conscious mind become too critical? Could "focus on the front sight" too much lead to shaky hand and shaking head afterward?

On the other hand, what is unconsciousness in shooting?

That is too zen for me now. "Fully aware your unconsciousness".
aurorapolice02_11

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

There needs to be focus on the front sight. Too many people think the subconscious does everything. That is wrong. There are many aspects of shooting that happen because of repetition and do ultimately happen subconsciously. Focus is not one of them. Shooting is not automatic. It requires work and to think it happens entirely subconsciously is incorrect.
jr

Post by jr »

Part of the lyrics from Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" (1971):

Shoot straighter than before

Good advice there.
David W. Johnson

Post by David W. Johnson »

Not so fast there. I'd like to see some photos of the gypsy violinist before I make that call. I presume she was wearing one of those long, flowing skirts and dancing around, right?

David
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

David W. Johnson wrote:Not so fast there. I'd like to see some photos of the gypsy violinist before I make that call. I presume she was wearing one of those long, flowing skirts and dancing around, right?

David
Only Gypsy men play the violin. It's the music that counts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CbETXqd0xQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3fYZDqb7qw
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

aurorapolice02_11 wrote:There needs to be focus on the front sight. Too many people think the subconscious does everything. That is wrong. There are many aspects of shooting that happen because of repetition and do ultimately happen subconsciously. Focus is not one of them. Shooting is not automatic. It requires work and to think it happens entirely subconsciously is incorrect.
Yes, but with enough training, the muscle memory & subconscious can do wonderous things, including focusing on the front sight. You also have to differentiate between visual "focus" and mental "focus". Bringing the conscious mind into the picture can (mentally) focus too much on one aspect to the detriment of other important parts of the process.

The first time I ever shot a 100 on a 10 second sustained fire target was when I was testing magazines. I had no intention of firing "carefully" to get a good score. I just picked up the pistol and banged out 2 magazines' worth in short succession, entirely on autopilot. I was absolutely floored by the result. A very "Zen & the Art of Archery" moment I have been trying to recreate for about 40 years.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I brainwashed myself into thinking that the front sight sharp = calm.

Singing seems like a real bad idea; what happens when the stress comes on and you can't seem to sing? You're boned.
Image Image
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I think a lot depends on your choice of tunes. I frequently find myself wandering around with the bit from the Wizard of Oz about "if I only had a brain..." going through my mind.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

SamEEE wrote:

Singing seems like a real bad idea; what happens when the stress comes on and you can't seem to sing? You're boned.
What about whistling in Your head during the final focusing at the front sight, when Your sights are about to get perfectly aligned at a "low 6 o`clock hold?
If you, at a moments distraction, then whistle out loud, Your fellow competitors may get boned. Boned, yes ..
(A most amazing thread this, I must say.)
aurorapolice02_11

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

Gwhite. I would be skeptical that this was done entirely on auto pilot. If you have been trying to recreate it for 40 years, I would venture to say it was a lucky string. No offense.