Pistol grip on 10m air rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rmca

Pistol grip on 10m air rifles

Post by rmca »

As far as I know pistol grips on air rifles (10m ISSF) are regulated by the following rules:

7.4.1.4 Pistol Grips. The pistol grip for the right hand must be constructed in such a way that it does not rest on the sling or on the left arm.
7.4.2.2 A thumb hole, thumb rest, palm rest, heel rest and spirit level are prohibited. A heel rest is any protrusion or extension on the front or side of the pistol grip designed to prevent the hand from slipping.
7.4.2.5 Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the foreend, pistol grip or lower part of the stock.
7.4.4.1 Rifle Measurements Table J2
7.10 RIFLE SPECIFICATION TABLE

So my questions are:

1- Can a grip be shaped to better suit one's hand (like in pistol events) and still conform with the rules?
2- Does adding putty to shape the grip collide with rule 7.4.2.5?
3- Have I forgotten some other rule?
4- Does a better fitting grip helps one to shoot better?

I've got a cup of coffee riding on this... :)

Thanks!
Andre

Re: Pistol grip on 10m air rifles

Post by Andre »

I've seen lots of putty on grips, I think it's fine since it does not add extra grip (Like grip/skateboard tape would do).

As for reshaping the grip......the grip really just gives you something to hold on to. If its uncomfortable modify it but I don't think it would help with your scores. Look at the FWB 700 evolution form instance.

Grips are modified on pistols because that's your only method of holding the gun, so it makes a HUGE difference. When I taped my grips for my pistol I shot much better with it. My coach laughs a little when he sees it though! :)
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

1. You can alter the grip as long as it isn't anatomical. Essentially don't put finger grooves in it. It should be able to fit a wide variety of hands even when altered.
2. As long as it doesn't add grip (texture/stickiness) you're fine.
4. It can. It won't give you 30 points, but maybe a few tenths or so. It helps with having a consistent trigger hand position.
Matt
rmca

Post by rmca »

WesternGrizzly wrote:1. You can alter the grip as long as it isn't anatomical. Essentially don't put finger grooves in it. It should be able to fit a wide variety of hands even when altered.
Matt

Can you please elaborate a bit more. I don't get the "as long as it isn't anatomical" part.
If you can alter it, it will be more anatomically, otherwise it doesn't make sense to alter it.
Also, can you provide the ruling (for ISSF 10m air rifle) to back your quote?

As I've said, I've got a cup of coffee riding on this one, and I take my coffee VERY seriously ;)

Thanks.
Ans2013

Post by Ans2013 »

ISSF rifle rules, page 343, 7-4-2-3, 2nd sentance. Also refer to rule 7-4-2-5.

Western Grizzly is correct in what he says, pretty much as long as there are no finger grooves you can modify the grip as long as you do not exceed the maximum dimensions allowed for air rifles.

Matt Emmons has been using plastic padding or body filler on his Anschitz air rifle grip for as long as I can remember.
rmca

Post by rmca »

I've google some pictures of Matt Emmons and finally got what's intended by the rules.

7.4.2.3 If a stock is less than the maximum allowed in any dimension, it
may be brought up to the measurements shown in the Rifle
Measurements Table. Any addition must be within the permitted
dimensions and in no case may the pistol grip, cheek-piece or
lower part of the stock be anatomically formed

I still think that if you add something to make the grip easier to grab, you are making it more anatomical, so to me the wording of the rule doesn't make sense.

Anyway, thanks to those who took the time to answer.

I guess it's sort of a tie in the coffee bet i made... :(