Real world accuracy tests-Volquartsen barrels vs stock

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

kayakingsteve

Re: Real world accuracy tests-Volquartsen barrels vs stock

Post by kayakingsteve »

------------------------
Yes.. In fact I have cut numerous barrels in half length ways, just to get a microscopic /measureable look at the rifling and chamber dimension.. Of all the barrels, Ruger is by far the worst in quality control..Old High Standards were true match quality.. I don't know about the new ones..41s were not impressive at all..
The 22 claiber projectile is very forgiving, and shots better than it should from some really low quality barrels..but it takes a good barrel when going under the inch mark..There were no SAMMI specs for the cartridge until 1976..so the chambers are all over the map.. There are at least 20+ variations. I am a huge proponent of Pardini.. because it usually shoots well under an inch right out of the box. Barrels are easily made should the need arise. Virtually trouble for many years...
Jerry[/color])
That is some dedication there! For a second I thought you were pulling my leg about vivisecting the barrels. :) I've read about barrels that compress .22lr or other calibers to .20" or smaller via gradual taper and supposedly they are very accurate and the soft lead tolerates them just fine... I suppose that is an extreme example of how much variation there could be in a gun shooting soft lead ammo...

If I had to venture a guess; tell me if I am wrong, a very "accurate" gun could have an abysmal bore up until the most distal part and if the rifling and crown are good in the end and the diameter is tight then the gun might still have good mechanical accuracy?

Did any shooters have barrels made or deliberately look for under-diameter barrels for this reason? Did Pardini for example or any of the production guns run small in their bore?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

kayakingsteve wrote:
------------------------

Did any shooters have barrels made or deliberately look for under-diameter barrels for this reason? Did Pardini for example or any of the production guns run small in their bore?
Tight bores are an old myth that is dying hard. S&W 41's have bores in the .214 range quite often..by far too tight..
My Pardini is .217 .
.216/.217 with .217 being ideal. The more the projectile is distorted, the less accurate it will be..
kayakingsteve

Post by kayakingsteve »

Jerry Keefer wrote:
kayakingsteve wrote:
------------------------

Tight bores are an old myth that is dying hard. S&W 41's have bores in the .214 range quite often..by far too tight..
My Pardini is .217 .
.216/.217 with .217 being ideal. The more the projectile is distorted, the less accurate it will be..
What did you find on some of the Rugers for bore diameter?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Ruger bores..
What did you find on some of the Rugers for bore diameter?[/quote]
They tend to be in the .217/.218 area...
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

I have an Xesse and its very accurate but I would not recommend it owing to quality issues since Walter took em over. Otherwise its every bit as good as the 208's I have shot.

I switched over to a Marvel as its its reliable on the right frame and if enough care is taken in fitting the magazines. GSG requires no fitting but don't work with every mag release.

Range officers are machined and assembled in the USA from Brazilian frame and slide blanks, though that could have changed. If you go the Range officer route get one with a NM frame means national match and its done in the USA.

I believe a good Range Officer or a good Kimber will take you to sharpshooter or Expert level and then you will have enough time to know what you really need. Smiths don't like working on Stainless so that is the issue with Kimbers.

If you go with a Marvel I think you need two 1911 frames. You don't want to be working on slides between matches and you may need a backup 45acp any how so with 2 frames you have all your bases covered. My next purchase is a dedicated 1911 frame for my marvel so I can do with a sub #3 trigger.

Model 25 -I agree, frame a little large N farme for my hang but a great option. I find with a K14 K frame when I shoot 900's with it I give up 30 points in rapid fire and make up most of that in slow fire. And my dad made Master using a Model 25 so its an option if you like revolvers, getting a good one under $1000 is a challenge but can be done.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

Les Baer Wadcutter is a good value if you don't know a good smith that can build you a new gun under 3k

Another idea is to get a Les Baer Premire shoot it for a while and then get it accurized.