thanks to all who are helping me! range report...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

fieldsj66

thanks to all who are helping me! range report...

Post by fieldsj66 »

I am indebted to all who are helping me get into this discipline. If ever in need, reach out when I can help you. Attaching a pic of the set up so far. I still need to adjust the cheekpiece. Like another thread has going, I don't completely understand the front aperture sizes. I couldn't wait for warmer weather, so I took my newly acquired aperture sights to the range today. My next purchase is to be an adjustable rear iris and some shooting glasses from Neil Stepp. The targets were shot with the smallest size and the largest size that came with sights. I left out the sighter target as it took me a while to get down into the black; there's a lot more adjustment(clicks) per inch than I originally guessed. I also left out a target that was shot with the simple post insert. I couldn't see the exact edge to hold correctly. They would go in the black but that was about it. Targets are the last four of the day. I think they're alright for first time trip. What say you guys?

[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... 66/007.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... 66/009.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... /001-2.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... 66/002.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... 6/2016.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w32/ ... 66/003.jpg[/img][/img]
Tim S

Re: thanks to all who are helping me! range report...

Post by Tim S »

The groups are OK in size, but the position of the group on the target is a little inconsistent, so your alignment probably wasn't properly centred on the target, although as you say the cheekpiece has not been adjusted. I don't think it's possible to say much, if anything, about the rifle set-up on its own as the set-up is so dependent on your build and conformation; a photo of you in position would be more informative. I would say the butt plate is quite low, even allowing for the deep stock. You want the whole of the plate to be in contact with the notch between your neck and shoulder; if it's just touching at the top, the rifle is more likely to twist and move under recoil and as you load. But without seeing you attached to the rifle, this is just a guess.

What is the size range for the front aperture? With British/International targets I would normally suggest between 3.6mm and 4.0mm; I believe US targets are a fraction smaller, so maybe knock off .1mm.
fieldsj66

Post by fieldsj66 »

Tim, thanks for the reply.

I sighted in first for the 3.7 and then didn't change the sight and just tried the other two inserts.
The bullseye is 3 7/8 inches.

The stock positions need to be adjusted. Still trying to get a feel for it. I need to move that sharp angle of the cheekpiece over to a flatter profile. I have been shooting the rifle with a scope and this sight is at a shorter level. I may end up getting short riser blocks. Its a lot easier to just lay the crosshairs on the target and bust Xs. LOL But that's why I want to try this out; I like the challenge.

I'm not particularly shy about posting a position photo. I just don't have a steady date for the range trips. My regular date SWMBO is in Texas right now. I feel my NPA is okay. I'm having to try to get this equipment fitted to me solo. I will post one when available.

Also, my focus on the sight was a little fuzzy. I'll get Neil's help with that.

--James
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

3.7mm isn't a bad place to start. You want the aperture to be large enough that it doesn't overlap the target, allowing for any wobble in your hold. Beyond this it's personal preference as to how much white there is around the target, and how thick the ring is.

Absolutely work out the adjustment of the rifle. The less you have to strain or rely on muscle in your position the better. You don't need to post a photo of yourself in position, but it's virtually impossible to give feedback without seeing how the rifle fits the shooter except in the most general terms. Start with the handstop position and the butt length, then look at butt height to level the sights with the target, the butt offset (if the rifle has this facility) to position the sights in front of your eye, and cheekpeice height and position to hold your head behind the rearsight.

The cheekpiece can be tilted over to the right, so it's less of a sharp edge. If you don't have a owner's manual these can be downloaded from Anschutz's website.
fieldsj66

Post by fieldsj66 »

How do I order more specific apertures? How do I name/number what I want? If I needed thinner ring width? Smaller circle? Is it numbered the same if I try the circle only types?
patriot

Post by patriot »

I use the edge of the cheek piece as an anchor point to make certain I have the same head position, particularly when it is hot out. Also, don't press down too hard. It could distort your eye and if you lift slightly to clear your vision the shot will go low. This is a game of consistency.

Mark
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

fieldsj66 wrote:How do I order more specific apertures? How do I name/number what I want? If I needed thinner ring width? Smaller circle? Is it numbered the same if I try the circle only types?
Anschutz have used the same sized foresigh inserts (the insert not the inner aperture) since forever. Ask any target shooting supply shop for Anschutz inserts, and they will know what you mean. If you want to be more precise, you can say 18mm inserts or M18; this is the nominal external diameter of the inserts.

The inner size of the aperture should be marked on the insert; for metal inserts it's stamped on the lugs at the side. For Perspex inserts, it's normally scribed at the edge. Metal inserts can be had with thick or thin rings. Perspex inserts tend to have a thin ring; the ring is created by a 45 degree chamfer around the aperture, which turns black in the tunnel. Perspex inserts tend to be thin, so the chamfer is thin. Adjustable irises will usually appear either as a metal insert (with cross bar), or a floating circle.

There is a third type of insert, the Hi-End made by Centra of Germany. These have a metal ring set into polished glass. The ring can be ordered in several thicknesses.

Inserts can be bought singly, or in sets. Sets normally have 10-12 inserts in 0.1 mm or 0.2mm steps. If you only want one or two specific sizes, buying singly is cheaper.
justadude

Post by justadude »

fields,

Try not to overthink the problem. As you are new to this, what you do not realize is that it was once pretty straight forward, you either had a metal insert, or a clear plexi insert and with very few exceptions your ring thickness was whatever it was.

In the last several years the array of inserts has become dizzying, aperture diameter, ring thickness, color, and even shape of the ring. (yeah there have been experiments with square and triangular apertures)

To the newcomer this is all very confusing and will convince you that there is some very special elixir and you have to spend hours and days and weeks sorting and testing apertures. To the newcomer this is somewhat frightening.

As has already been mentioned, the Anschutz aperture, due to the way it is made, you get one ring thickness. I am certain that over the decades there have been numerous world and olympic records set with the basic Anschutz insert. For years the Anschutz insert was available only in a light pink or light rose tint. This is fine color and there is no need to mess with it. Call Neal Stepp or Champions Choice or Champions Shooters Supply and any of them can fix you up, with either a set or single apertures.

Very economical, here is a link to a house brand Champions Choice set: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... &item=CCA2

Not as economical but hardly going to break the bank here are the single Anschutz apertures: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=972028

You have stated you want to concentrate on American prone, things like the A-23 (50 Yard) and A-25 (100 Yard) target. For this bull, 3.2 to 3.6 should all be quite comfortable. You could start by just ordering a single 3.4mm aperture and calling it a day. Shipping costs will likely be more than the aperture so I would go for a small assortment.

Cheers,
'Dude
fieldsj66

Post by fieldsj66 »

Thanks guys. Its a plan then. Shooting the other day had quite a bit of white area around bull so I'll buy a couple Wednesday. The larger of the two I tried was a larger aperture both in hole and thickness of bars. I'll be at champions choice so I'll pick up a few to try.