Morini 162 muzzle flip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
javaduke

Morini 162 muzzle flip

Post by javaduke »

Folks, are there any recommendations on how to reduce muzzle flip on Morini 162? I searched through old topics and from what I understood the consensus was that compensators are practically useless on AP - is it still true? (Not to mention that I was unable to find any aftermarket compensators available for sale in US).
David Levene

Re: Morini 162 muzzle flip

Post by David Levene »

I've cut most of the compensator on my 162EI off, just leaving enough to mount the front sight.

Guess what, if I fire a good shot it still scores a 10; if I don't then it probably won't be.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

I turned sown the velocity a little,it has helped.
I have a blow out compensator I'm not using, so available if you want it.
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

Silvershooter wrote:I turned sown the velocity a little,it has helped.
I have a blow out compensator I'm not using, so available if you want it.
Wow, thanks, but I don't want to spend money on something that is apparently useless :))) From your personal experience, is there any noticeable improvement when the compensator is installed? Or is it a matter of perception?
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

My problem is that I change too many things at a time. I'm having eyesight issues at the moment and waiting for a new lens. so can not say there is any improvement with the BOC. My understanding is that the BO compensator prevents the air turbulence from overtaking and upsetting the pellet. Reading between the lines it would seem that if the pistol is held in a vise then different pellets would give the same tight group with the BOC.
IMHO it is a bit of a distraction.

Another thing that has helped is using the lighter pistol weight pellets (I use RWS R10 4.49)

GL
FredB

Post by FredB »

When I got my 162E when they first came out, I was bothered by the muzzle flip also. I tried the Nygord Turbocomp which didn't help, and then I tried making my own comp, which allowed me to vary the size of the openings in front and on top. Nothing I tried seemed to improve the problem, although I should emphasize that as long as I shot with proper technique it wasn't really an issue. I finally solved the problem by switching to a Steyr LP1 ;>)
v76

Post by v76 »

Hey, I said it in the past but I'll say it again: it doesn't matter. While the muzzle flip was noticeable sometimes, it didn't impact my scores. When I had perfect technique - doesn't happen often - it was motionless (easy called 10s). Guess what? My LP10 is motionless and I still shoot 8s with it sometimes... only thing is that it's much tougher to call shots. Check velocity and if it's within range... move on and tinker with yourself (Did I just say that?)
BEA

Post by BEA »

v76 is correct. The feeling of the pistol firing is just something you get used to. I have fired a Morini and LP10 side by side, and although the feeling of each pistol firing is somewhat different, it had no impact on scores. We have to be careful not to get wrapped up in ideas and ignore training techniques that truly can cause our scores to improve. Muzzle flip is one thing, but consistent muzzle flip is achieved by a proper stance and grip fit. The Morini is a fine AP, so if you are having trouble with shot consistency, don't look to erratic muzzle flip as the culprit but rather it is the result of a problem.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I HAVE noticed myself, that when a shot is perfectly executed there is no movement (no matter which gun). If I see the sights move, I KNOW it's me.
therider

Post by therider »

why wishing to eliminate the muzzle flip?
I shoot much better with 162ei despite the flip than with the lp10E. I guess that is simply the result of the pistol sitting better in my hand and the trigger suiting me also better. It flips a little and then goes back to where it was.

Rover does it not move at all when you have a perfectly executed shot?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

from my experience with 162e, steyr lp10 (mech) and mg1e if i execute my shot correctly (grip pressure, trigger squeze etc) they all stay still but in 162 and mg1e you feel a single small punch inside the arm going perfectly backwards and you know it is a 10.9. with lp10 the absorber does its job and you feel nothing (and this happens at every shot whether it was 10.9 or 6.0)
therider

Post by therider »

ghostrip wrote:from my experience with 162e, steyr lp10 (mech) and mg1e if i execute my shot correctly (grip pressure, trigger squeze etc) they all stay still but in 162 and mg1e you feel a single small punch inside the arm going perfectly backwards and you know it is a 10.9. with lp10 the absorber does its job and you feel nothing (and this happens at every shot whether it was 10.9 or 6.0)
Absolutely the same for me with MGH1 and lp10E!
And I love the feeling you just describe with mgh1...is more rewarding than the number of rings
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

No muzzle flip to report here with the Morini 162 I shoot. Factory velocity.

Small jolt when it goes off, but doesn't affect anything meaningfully for me. When the shot is on, it's on.
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

Sam, really yours does not flip at all?
when i see professional shooters with 162, i can see a small flip.
yana

Post by yana »

Iirc the first morini's were sold without a compensator, only a weight.
The later morini's have holes in it.
So if you have the old 1 you might try switch to the new one
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The Morini comp is just a separator, no real compensator. If you want to see the muzzle flip, shoot 20 shots through a LP10, and then go back to the 162. I've seen facial expressions to that that should have been posted on youtube. Doesn't say it's a problem, though, a 162 will always jump a bit, and people have shoot great results. What works, if you want to do something, is using the compensator of SAM (M10, K11 etc) on the 162, fits without any problems, seen a bunch of those conversion around. Of course, if you're shooting 170 m/sec, you'll get muzzle flip, no matter what is stuck on your barrel.
therider

Post by therider »

Tycho wrote: Of course, if you're shooting 170 m/sec, you'll get muzzle flip, no matter what is stuck on your barrel.
My Mgh1 is set at 172 m/s, with a variation of 0.4m/s measured on 10 shots, 8 of them gave 172.0m/s

It does not flip, so I guess that the pressure chamber just behind diabolo works. However if the shot is not perfect I feel a reaction , which I cannot describe, but it is not a flip.

May be I should try reducing the speed although the current value has been set personally by Cesare, who reduced it from the original factory setting of 176 and I am a bit uncertain whether I should do it or not.

Could I buy rings by reducing it? :-)
j-team

Post by j-team »

therider wrote:It does not flip, so I guess that the pressure chamber just behind diabolo works. However if the shot is not perfect I feel a reaction , which I cannot describe, but it is not a flip.
The placement of the pressure chamber has no effect on recoil. The recoil is the reaction of the weight of the pellet accerating down the barrel. The fact that the barrel axis is above the wrist axis is why this recoil (tiny it may be but it's still recoil) makes the muzzle "flip" upward. It's simple physics.

The only way to eliminate that feeling is to have a weight moving rearwards as per the "Stabiliser/Absorber" mechanism found on the modern designed pistols (Steyr, Walther & FWB).

It's all about what you are used to. We all know that it's possible to shoot good scores with almost any top air pistol from the FWB65 onwards. It's just that some designs have advanced more that others to make the shooting an easier and more pleasurable experience!
flolo

Post by flolo »

[quote]The placement of the pressure chamber has no effect on recoil. The recoil is the reaction of the weight of the pellet accerating down the barrel. The fact that the barrel axis is above the wrist axis is why this recoil (tiny it may be but it's still recoil) makes the muzzle "flip" upward. It's simple physics.
[/quote]
if you take a look a nearly all of todays airpistols, the air moves upward into the barrel. so the moment of the gas adds to moment you get by the barrel axis. therefore the mgh1 has less upward flip. as you said, simple physics.

p.s.: it's also not a new idea, see fwb65
ojh

Post by ojh »

When the air is moved UP it pushes the pistol DOWN and thus LESSENS the upward flip. Yep, simple physics.