Red dot return to zero

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Xman

Red dot return to zero

Post by Xman »

Will red dot sights return to zero if zeroed in, taken off and reinstalled on a weaver rail?
Ed Hall

Re: Red dot return to zero

Post by Ed Hall »

If the rings have two separate clamps, one for the scope and one for the rail, then, yes. If it's the single vertical split ring, then, no.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

For some reason, Ultradots ship with vertically split rings. The first thing I did when I got mine was to replace them with rings with separate clamps.

Roger
Xman

Post by Xman »

The afore mentioned pistol with the weaver rail is a Browning Buckmark. I would like to stay all Browning in manufacture. There are Browning red dot sights listed on one of the major aution sites (ebay) for a resonable price. I dont know how/if they qualify as a vertical or split rings/clamps or whatever. Just a noob here trying to figure out things for BE competition. To go all metallic sights or metallic and optical/open class.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Xman wrote:The afore mentioned pistol with the weaver rail is a Browning Buckmark. I would like to stay all Browning in manufacture. There are Browning red dot sights listed on one of the major aution sites (ebay) for a resonable price. I dont know how/if they qualify as a vertical or split rings/clamps or whatever. Just a noob here trying to figure out things for BE competition. To go all metallic sights or metallic and optical/open class.

The NRA production matches are a new thing. There generally won't be enough people to have a class except at Perry, and possibly a few other large matches.

Don't worry about making everything Browning. Many types of red dots will work on a .22 but where you have to watch out is when you start setting up a .45. It requires a good red dot to take the pounding from being slide mounted on a 45.

There are a lot of nice horizontally split rings out there. The shorter the base on the rings, the less dot movement you will perceive. Some are steel, and some are aluminum. If you want your gun lighter or heavier, you will want one or the other.

Depending on your age, you may find it difficult to shoot with irons on an indoor range.
This is why the dots are very popular.
Feel free to email me if you want to discuss how to get in touch with bullseye shooters in Texas. Going to a few matches, and seeing what other people have, and why, is one of the best ways to figure out what might work for you.
If it isn't too far for you, there will be the State indoor Texas championship on April 18 and 19 in Amarillo.

Come watch, or come shoot, it will be fun, and you will meet the people you need to know in Texas if you want to some bullseye.
big mouse

Post by big mouse »

Isabel1130,

In your reply to "Xman", you had stated, "The shorter the base on the rings, the less dot movement you will perceive."

I am a little confused about your statement. If one is using a 1 piece mounting rail, should it be as short as possible? Or

should the 2 rings attached to that rail be positioned as close as possible to each other? Or are you suggesting that it's best

to use as narrow of a scope ring as you can find? Please elaborate; I am missing something here. Thank you very much.
Xman

Post by Xman »

I think we/I are/am getting hung up on the word "rings". Are not the red dot type of sight held on a weaver rail clamps (2) of some kind? Based on photos I have seen.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

big mouse wrote:Isabel1130,

In your reply to "Xman", you had stated, "The shorter the base on the rings, the less dot movement you will perceive."

I am a little confused about your statement. If one is using a 1 piece mounting rail, should it be as short as possible? Or

should the 2 rings attached to that rail be positioned as close as possible to each other? Or are you suggesting that it's best

to use as narrow of a scope ring as you can find? Please elaborate; I am missing something here. Thank you very much.
Scope rings come generally in three sizes, short, medium, and tall. The tall ones can put the rings more than an inch above the rail. You want the shorter ones to keep the axis of the scope as close to the rail as possible.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Xman wrote:I think we/I are/am getting hung up on the word "rings". Are not the red dot type of sight held on a weaver rail clamps (2) of some kind? Based on photos I have seen.
Some red dot scopes come with their own base designed to fit a weaver or a picatinny rail. Most require scope rings to attach the red dot to the rail.
big mouse

Post by big mouse »

Isabel1130,

I misunderstood your earlier posting. Just like in rifle scope mounting, the lower an optical sight is mounted in relation to

a firearm's bore, the better the results tend to be. Thanks for the clarification!