Free pistol advice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tim S

Re: Free pistol advice

Post by Tim S »

markwarren wrote: Haven't seen Nova Tach in the UK. Mark
Mark,

it's Norma, not Nova. I think it's the same as RWS Target, just sold under the Norma label in the US. RWS and Norma (a Swedish munitions company) are owned by the same parent company, RUAG.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I think that anything less than SK would be source of great disappointment in FP. Some of the crap recommended by Conradin probably won't load into a decent Free pistol. I cannot load CCI SV into my TOZ as the base is too thick and I am not going to ream the barrel. I don't find SK too expensive and is currently available and for the 2,000 rds I fire during the year, not hard on the wallet......"Doc"
desben

Post by desben »

conradin wrote:How about Winchester 555 for $32?
I sometimes train with that or a number of other Winchester products in my Ruger for Standard Pistol. The accuracy isn't bad and the hollow-point makes a clean round hole, sortof like a wadcutter. But a few rounds out of every brick won't go off. Which is why I always compete with SK: it fires everytime. CCI is also 100% reliable, but I just can't find any lately.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do you REALLY think the (maybe) difference in recoil between brands will at all affect your scores. Come ON!
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Bob-Riegl wrote:I cannot load CCI SV into my TOZ as the base is too thick

?!
Image Image
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I rim gauged some of my 22 ammo recently, and found the Eley Club lot I have has a 0.039" rim thickness and CCI SV has 0.042 to 0.046" rim thickness, with most at 0.043". The Eley goes in the TOZ, the thin CCI goes in the X-esse (0.040" bolt face) for 25 yard work, and the thick CCI goes in my Ruger Mark III (0.045" bolt face) for 25 yard work.

My main reason for checking the rim thickness was reliability, like plunk checking 45 ACP loads to prevent alibis. Maybe I'll get better groups, but that hasn't been tested yet.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I don't load CCI SV Paperbox in my Hamerli 106 because it doesn't easily close. The OAL is too long.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Free pistols were designed for bullet to engrave into rifling during chambering. I've never had one not hard seat a round. I've shot many models of Hammerli and my Toz 35. They all do it.
Jon
conradin

Post by conradin »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:
conradin wrote: How about Winchester 555 for $32?
Remington Thunderbolt $3?
You're really talking about ammo for FP and not semi-auto rifles?? Some here seem to see no difference between those two kind of guns...
[/quote]
You guys want me to list a cheap and serviceable ammo, so I list two. No problem on a Ruger 10/22.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Tim S wrote:

Mostly; since the Firearms (Amendemtnt) Act 1997 any breech-loading firearm with a bore of .22in or greater, with a barrel of under 12in and a total length oif under 24in is requires a section 5 license. Before this pistols were Section1, this meant the license was issued by the local police force; section 5 requires the permission of the Home Secretary.

Some enterprising folks have manufactured pistols that meet the required dimensions for Section 1 by using long barrels, and non-removeable extension rods at the back.

Oh and the act doesn't apply to Northern Ireland, and the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands (the later being British, but having their own judicial system).
I always wonder why the British do not move their entire team to Ulster, the Channel Island, and the Isle of Man. Also, even if there is no moving involved, I would expect the sport would continue in these area strobgly, so eventually the entire team probably are made out of residents from these areas.

The Long arm reminds me of the Rocky Horror ...
conradin

Post by conradin »

Bob-Riegl wrote:I think that anything less than SK would be source of great disappointment in FP. Some of the crap recommended by Conradin probably won't load into a decent Free pistol. I cannot load CCI SV into my TOZ as the base is too thick and I am not going to ream the barrel. I don't find SK too expensive and is currently available and for the 2,000 rds I fire during the year, not hard on the wallet......"Doc"
The Winchester, etc, is a joke. As for why CCI SV cannot get into your TOZ I have no idea. It works fine on my Haemmerli 100 and Toz is supposedly a copy of the MP33/100-105. I use Edge on the Haemmerli.
conradin

Post by conradin »

desben wrote:
conradin wrote:How about Winchester 555 for $32?
I sometimes train with that or a number of other Winchester products in my Ruger for Standard Pistol. The accuracy isn't bad and the hollow-point makes a clean round hole, sortof like a wadcutter. But a few rounds out of every brick won't go off. Which is why I always compete with SK: it fires everytime. CCI is also 100% reliable, but I just can't find any lately.
No problem on a 10/22, but one of my Ruger MK1 was destroyed by a Remington (stove pipe, then kaboom). The gunsmith was unable to repair the chamber. That experience (the first firearm pistol that I shot) really changed my view and I never use any cheap stuff since, unless I really honestly do not care about the arm.

The Winchester is my chapter's 'Donation Ammo'. Now I pick Club and CCI copper as 'Donation Ammo'. For the record, even the CCI has jammed in a Ruger 10/22 before too, both in my hands and in another person. Could have been the 10/22 itself. We do not know.

I have never experienced a jam using high grade ammo. But I also have never put a high grade ammo in a non high grade pistol.
conradin

Post by conradin »

SamEEE wrote:
Bob-Riegl wrote:I cannot load CCI SV into my TOZ as the base is too thick

?!
I use CCI SV in my Haemmerli 100 without any problem, but the ammo that I use for her is actually Edge. Isn't it the TOZ is a very close copy of the MP33/100 ?
conradin

Post by conradin »

spektr wrote:I don't load CCI SV Paperbox in my Hamerli 106 because it doesn't easily close. The OAL is too long.
It was impossible to push it in harder with your finger to create short chambering? I thought bullet is supposed to reach where the rifling starts, or very close to it. Or was it impossible to eject it?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

conradin wrote:I always wonder why the British do not move their entire team to Ulster, the Channel Island, and the Isle of Man. Also, even if there is no moving involved, I would expect the sport would continue in these area strobgly, so eventually the entire team probably are made out of residents from these areas.

The Long arm reminds me of the Rocky Horror ...
Australia is nice, the beer is cheap, the girls are brown and fizzy.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

conradin wrote:I always wonder why the British do not move their entire team to Ulster, the Channel Island, and the Isle of Man. Also, even if there is no moving involved, I would expect the sport would continue in these area strobgly, so eventually the entire team probably are made out of residents from these areas.
Why? Do you really need to ask?

British shooting teams are not well funded. The budgets do not support fully funded athletes, let alone the cost of moving the teams, and their families across the country. Cost is likely the same reason why the athletes themselves didn't move, together with family ties, obligations, finding new jobs, etc.
joel

Post by joel »

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the RWS Rifle works very well. I can only shoot RWS products in my FP. All the others are a bit tight, but they do go in. The problem is that sometimes they won't eject and I need to fire the pistol again with the empty brass in place and then it will usually eject. The brass usually has a small bulge at the base while the RWS is flawless.

No two are the same so you need to find what works well in your FP. SK is quite good and with the right shooter, it can win local matches and perhaps more.

You've gotten a lot of advice. Experiment and see what works best for you since it is fun and good practice.

Good Luck,

Joel
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Higher priced ammo isn't a guarantee of flawlessness (if, that's a word), unless SK is considered low grade. I personally have four friends who've had .22 pistols blow up. I'm not sure about the first for ammo, but it was at a major event. The second was SK. The third was probably a less expensive "plinking" ammo and the fourth was with Aguilla. The first three had major damage and the fourth just needed some new parts in the slide.

Hmm, four of my friends... maybe it's me...
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Ed,
Wow, I'm amazed! What pistols were they shooting that catastrophically failed?
Jon
conradin

Post by conradin »

Tim S wrote:
Why? Do you really need to ask?

British shooting teams are not well funded. The budgets do not support fully funded athletes, let alone the cost of moving the teams, and their families across the country. Cost is likely the same reason why the athletes themselves didn't move, together with family ties, obligations, finding new jobs, etc.
I understand those points. But I would expect all the pistol shooters would be from those area..(native born and live there, as opposed to moving there..hence for example identify themselves as manxmen).