Hammerli 208 "Crisp" Trigger?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Chuckiep

Hammerli 208 "Crisp" Trigger?

Post by Chuckiep »

Really been trying hard to figure it out for my self. I have a Newer serial Hammerli 208. Really want to take the roll out of the trigger. Seems like it cant be done... Can any one help?
Jon Eulette

Re: Hammerli 208 "Crisp" Trigger?

Post by Jon Eulette »

I haven't worked on Hammerli 208 in quite some time. I'm getting one this weekend. But i have worked on the Trailside. They are almost identical in design. I convert them to almost crisp but slight roll you can only feel if you get chicken finger. I basically cut down sear engagement (modify hammer and sear) to minimize roll. Don't know of another way. I try to get it to feel like a 1911, but it has a pivoting trigger.
Jon
Chuckiep

Post by Chuckiep »

I was afraid of that. Are you taking material off of the sear nose? I am very familiar with the trailside components.

Here is how i belive the 208 trigger adjustments to be:

-"1st stage" adjustment, adds weight to the whole trigger, any wieght on this stage is added to the second stage

-"2nd stage" adjustment still just increases the overall heavy "feel" of the trigger. you can see how it compresses the plunger about mid way through.

-"travel" adjusted with the combi tool, seems to be an overtravel adjust ment. I assume you could back out the plunger housing with the combi tool to increase the time you feel only the first stage... but i am not sure how to adjust overtravel.

- "Creep" doesnt seem to help trigger feel, i found it can be adjust too much to dissallow cocking.

Any pictures of the job would help, Thank you again

.:chuckie:.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Do you have a 208s or straight 208?

Check your manual; IIRC, the Hammerli 208s manual says the trigger must have some creep. Not so for the 208 International.
Chuckiep

Post by Chuckiep »

I have a 208. Yes, I do have some creep in, as the manual states. Without it, I think you run the risk of doubling or not cocking.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Trigger work theory is something I share, but not actual photos or anything that I think will get me or someone in trouble. Having said that, I do share with people I know locally because I can make sure that nothing unsafe is being performed. A 2# trigger job is dangerous for 99% of the people to pistolsmith themselves. I work on and repair many hacked on pistols and have decided that this is necessary. Sorry ; p)
Chuckiep

Post by Chuckiep »

Welp... OK then. Thanks anyway for the spark of the idea. Hopefully somebody will be able to give me some direction soon. Seems many gunsmiths dont touch these. KC didnt even want to mess with it. I have a sear on order from larrys. If the sear protrudes into hammer the way it does on the trailside, I'll start stoning the sear nose, doesn't seem like much of a challenge to me.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Let me just say I radically altered the sear to minimize engagement with the hammer. This changes many other things with regards to take up, reset, and let off. Nothing that requires brain surgery, just similar approach to other pistols out there.
Jon
Chuckiep

Post by Chuckiep »

OK GREAT SUCCESS!!!! I decided to monkey around with more adjustments, before the sear underwent surgery... For anyone who cares about this:

To answer the Topic question, How to get the 208 trigger crisp (or long roll):

Step 1: Move the trigger all the way forward.

Step 2: Rip a leg off of a fly for a make shift microscopic allen wrench. Remove most of the first stage weight to minimum by loosening the .5 mm allen a little.

Step 3: Using the combi tool, back out the outer concentric screw thing all the way (removing from view slightly in the trigger guard)

-if you want an ultra long roll, just go ahead and tighten it as far as you can, until right before the trigger itself cannot cause the hammer to fall.

I was wrong in my original assumption... that combi tool adjustment does not adjust over travel, it seems hammerli actually meant "travel" as like, how far you can feel the trigger travel, anyways, unscrewing it all the way turned it into an ultra short roll, if not crisp. From there just a minor adjustment to the weight screw (in the center of the combi tool one) and I am right at 3 pounds. Only down side I can sort of see, is there a bit more take up/slack. but a good trade for removal of the roll.

Stand by for range report... I am sure this is too good to be true... I will load one round at a time to ensure I haven't accidentally made my hammerli into a slam fire machine pistol..

HERE is where i found the info, all hammerli 208 people should have this site.
http://www.australiancynic.com/208.htm# ... ipping_the

*UPDATE* After about 3 months of this configuration, i have had zero issues.