Compensator or not ...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mctrucky

Compensator or not ...

Post by mctrucky »

Simple question:
Why use a compensator on a single shot free pistol?

I understand that stable follow through should help the shot process.

I understand that accuracy can be affected (and what I have seen is that flat nose Tenex is negatively affected, where as round nosed Lapua is positively affected - with a sample set of just two Morini pistols).

I also counted compensators in use at a World Cup this year and less than half of competitors were using them, but in the final of the WCH in Granada all 7 Morini shooters had compensators, and the one Toz did not. Is this because the longer barrel of the Morini makes follow through more critical? I think all eight shooters were using Tenex (at least they were using Tenex boxes...).

Let the bun fight commence.
SamEEE

Re: Compensator or not ...

Post by SamEEE »

Makes the shots somewhat easier to call.
Image Image
David M

Post by David M »

You will find that they are not recoil compensators as fitted to Action/IPSC style pistols.
They are a gas eliminator that act in 360 deg, up, down, left and right. They stop the gas
from the muzzle blast over taking the bullet.
They stabilize the muzzle to improve feedback and help improve accuracy.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I did extensive testing using a compenstor on my toz 35. I tested just about ever target ammo that is available. I did 2 10 shot groups with the compensator fitted and 2 10 shot groups with out it fitted. as a general rule every type of cheap ammo had huge improvements in accuracy and all the high end ammo had no affect at all. mid priced ammo had either slight improvements or none.

as a result I found the most accurate ammo to be tenex followed very closely by federal 711bs then lapua xact. naturally i chose federal 711bs as they cost around 7 dollars a box. then I chose cheap federal blue box stuff to train with because it feels exactly the same to shoot and with the compensator it will still almost hold x ring. it wouldnt hold the 9 ring without the compensator
rmca

Post by rmca »

Muffo wrote:I did extensive testing using a compenstor on my toz 35.
Muffo, what compensator did you use (Morini?, Short?, Long?).

Thanks!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

rmca wrote:
Muffo wrote:I did extensive testing using a compenstor on my toz 35.
Muffo, what compensator did you use (Morini?, Short?, Long?).

Thanks!
I used one of these
http://www.kurtthune.com/applications/C ... &ItemID=74
They are now rebadged as kurt thune. They were originally made in Sweeden with the help of Ragnar Skanåker. I bought it off the maker but I cant remember who.
Its the best money I have ever spent because I can train with ammo that cost 2 dollars a box which is the cheapest standard velocity ammo you can buy here
rmca

Post by rmca »

Have you tested any other compensators?

Thanks for your patience! ;)
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

No I havent. I got such good results from this one I had no reason to try anything else
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You can get than comp from Ronny Nilsson, http://interprodukter.se/tillbehor.php.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

How easy is it to keep clean? I tried using the factory Mornini compensator, and finally gave up on it because of the constant (and difficult) maintenance it required. I didn't like the idea of having to remove my front sight mount constantly. The lead would build up inside, and it took a lot of scrubbing to remove it.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Gwhite wrote:How easy is it to keep clean? I tried using the factory Mornini compensator, and finally gave up on it because of the constant (and difficult) maintenance it required. I didn't like the idea of having to remove my front sight mount constantly. The lead would build up inside, and it took a lot of scrubbing to remove it.
Quiet easy you can either leave t he pistol standing in lead disolver or I just get a small chisel and give the lead a couple of hits and it usually all breaks off together
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

What exactly is "lead disolver"? I have no idea if we might have something equivalent in the USA. The environmental types have forced bans on a large number of useful chemicals.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Gwhite wrote:What exactly is "lead disolver"? I have no idea if we might have something equivalent in the USA. The environmental types have forced bans on a large number of useful chemicals.
I can't remember what I used exactly. A gun shop sold it to me. It took several hours tho where as a chisel took 2 minutes
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Ronny's comp is so easy to keep clean. Just put a bit of masking tape on the inside face of the front part, with a hole in it for the bullet. If it gets too dirty, pull the tape.