What pellets. do you use for 10M air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: What pellets. do you use for 10M air pistol?

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Just buy cheap pellets and shoot. It will make NO difference in your scores.
Unless someone proves that for themselves by testing in their specific gun, it might make a difference to their confidence and that might make a difference to their scores.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Rover wrote:
"I'm also of the opinion that if you're investing a lot of time and effort into the sport you should probably train and shoot the best you can afford."

I am not of this opinion. If you had looked at my pellet tests, you would understand why I'm using RWS Basic as my pellet of choice. Plus they are 1/3rd the price of the R10s, which would not be my second choice, either.

Just buy cheap pellets and shoot. It will make NO difference in your scores.

Hi Rover, because of your pellet testing; and opposing "Best pellet you can afford" postings;

I decided to buy and shoot the very best pellets that I can afford: The RWS Basic pellet!

Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

The other day in practice, using the WORST pellets I have, I shot a 97 with only two holes in the target. One was a nine at the edge of the 9 ring (called).
dronning

Post by dronning »

Rover wrote:The other day in practice, using the WORST pellets I have, I shot a 97 with only two holes in the target. One was a nine at the edge of the 9 ring (called).
Air pistol crushed skirt test, I have been looking for the article where the guy was purposely deforming the skirts, they all held the 10 ring.

After reading that I quit being concerned about pellets.

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The MIT collegiate team shoots RWS Basics for everything except the National Championships. We have a very wide range of pistols; everything from Tau-7's & IZH's to Steyr's & Morinis. I firmly believe we've never lost a match due to the pellets we use. We have an old, oxidized stash of "match" grade pellets we use for the Nationals, just to make the students think they have a little bit more of an "edge".

if you are really desperate, go ahead & test pellets. You'd be much better off spending the time dry firing.
j-team

Post by j-team »

dronning wrote:
Rover wrote:The other day in practice, using the WORST pellets I have, I shot a 97 with only two holes in the target. One was a nine at the edge of the 9 ring (called).
Air pistol crushed skirt test, I have been looking for the article where the guy was purposely deforming the skirts, they all held the 10 ring.

Dave
I have done that test. Squashed them flat with my fingers and they still shoot in the 10 ring, even put in backwards they do. You need to cut off a part of the skirt with a knife to get them to group bigger than ten ring!
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

j-team wrote:
dronning wrote:

Dave
I have done that test. Squashed them flat with my fingers and they still shoot in the 10 ring, even put in backwards they do. You need to cut off a part of the skirt with a knife to get them to group bigger than ten ring!
I had some of the cheaper ones group as big as the 10 ring without doing anything to them. Maybe il give the squashed thing and backwards thing a go. I put one in backwards once and shot a low 6 but I haven't done it in a rest
Rover

Post by Rover »

In my limited testing I found squashed and backwards pellets really didn't do very well. If I loaded one backwards accidentally at a match (very unlikely) I would just go ahead and shoot it, though.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Rover wrote:In my limited testing I found squashed and backwards pellets really didn't do very well. If I loaded one backwards accidentally at a match (very unlikely) I would just go ahead and shoot it, though.
I have a knitting needle for that
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't. Do you frequently load them backwards?

Gwhite says: " We have an old, oxidized stash of "match" grade pellets we use for the Nationals, just to make the students think they have a little bit more of an "edge"."

You're my kinda guy!
Muffo

Re:

Post by Muffo »

Unfortunately I do it every now and then
renzo

Post by renzo »

Muffo wrote:
Rover wrote:In my limited testing I found squashed and backwards pellets really didn't do very well. If I loaded one backwards accidentally at a match (very unlikely) I would just go ahead and shoot it, though.
I have a knitting needle for that
That's very clever!!!

Last July, at the nationals in my country, I loaded a pellet and couldn't deliver the shoot,I aborted two or three times, and then discovered the trouble was I was concentrating on my full bladder and not my trigger release! So I asked the RO for permission to leave my firing point, and he asked me to open the pistol (it already was) and to put a safety flag, which I couldn't due to the pellet in the chamber.

What a moment! If I'd had a needle I could have complied, instead I had to shot a hurried one (luckily, it was only a wide 9) but it got me thinking I'm gonna include something like you said for future matches.
rmca

Post by rmca »

renzo wrote:So I asked the RO for permission to leave my firing point, and he asked me to open the pistol (it already was) and to put a safety flag, which I couldn't due to the pellet in the chamber.

What a moment! If I'd had a needle I could have complied, instead I had to shot a hurried one (luckily, it was only a wide 9) but it got me thinking I'm gonna include something like you said for future matches.
You could have asked to discharge the gun instead of taking the shot.

Like you can if you load two pellets by accident.

6.11.2.4 The gun may only be loaded with one (1) pellet. When a gun is
accidentally loaded with more than one (1) pellet:
a) If the athlete is aware of the situation, he must raise his nonshooting
hand to indicate to a Range Officer that he has a
problem. A Range Officer must then supervise the unloading
of the gun and no penalty will be incurred. No extra time will
be allowed for this;

The same principle should apply to your case.

Hope this helps
renzo

Post by renzo »

rmca wrote:
renzo wrote:So I asked the RO for permission to leave my firing point, and he asked me to open the pistol (it already was) and to put a safety flag, which I couldn't due to the pellet in the chamber.

You could have asked to discharge the gun instead of taking the shot.

Like you can if you load two pellets by accident.

6.11.2.4 The gun may only be loaded with one (1) pellet. When a gun is
accidentally loaded with more than one (1) pellet:
a) If the athlete is aware of the situation, he must raise his nonshooting
hand to indicate to a Range Officer that he has a
problem. A Range Officer must then supervise the unloading
of the gun and no penalty will be incurred. No extra time will
be allowed for this;

The same principle should apply to your case.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the information bit!

Mind you, I'm a shooting judge and didn't remember THAT one to call it in the event.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Makes you wonder why 6.2.2.6 is still there
During firing, the gun may be put down (not held) only after the cartridge(s) and/or magazine are removed and the action is open. Air guns must be made safe by opening the cocking lever or loading port.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Spencer wrote:Makes you wonder why 6.2.2.6 is still there
During firing, the gun may be put down (not held) only after the cartridge(s) and/or magazine are removed and the action is open. Air guns must be made safe by opening the cocking lever or loading port.
My understanding is that 6.2.2.6 only applys if you are at the firing point.
When you leave the firing point dont you have to insert the safety flag?

Hence the supervised discharche.
rmca

Post by rmca »

6.2.2.4 When placing a gun down to leave the firing point or when firing is
complete, all guns must be unloaded with actions (bolt or locking
mechanism) open and safety flags inserted. Before leaving a
firing point, the athlete must ascertain and the Range Officer must
verify that there is no cartridge or pellet in the gun’s chamber,
barrel or magazine and a safety flag is inserted.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Nice long thread. Too bad there's no response from the guy who started it (if he's even interested).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rmca wrote: You could have asked to discharge the gun instead of taking the shot.
Ah, the famous PDC, as annex A of the training manual for pistol range officials
renzo

Post by renzo »

David Levene wrote:
rmca wrote: You could have asked to discharge the gun instead of taking the shot.
Ah, the famous PDC, as annex A of the training manual for pistol range officials
David

Never seen one, except in the same manual you quoted.

Are there any measurements to follow when building one to use in matches, should the need of its use arise?