Ruger Mark II won't fire....

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Chef247

Ruger Mark II won't fire....

Post by Chef247 »

I recently picked up a 20 year old Mark II. The internal parts had some light rust and lots of old shooting debris.
I took it apart completely and cleaned it well. (I have a Mark III so I'm able to take it down and rebuild it easily.)
I honed the sear a little to smooth it out and did the same with the hammer. I put in a Volquartzen disconnect as I found the original hanging up. The pistol with "fire" without the barrel. I add slight pressure to the hammer and I can feel the trigger move the disconnect and release the sear.
The issue comes when I put the barrel back on. The gun won't fire.
Too much polishing? New hammer / sear kit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Andy
mr alexander

Re: Ruger Mark II won't fire....

Post by mr alexander »

Andy,

Am not a pistolsmith by any means. From your posting it sounds like you're intimately more familiar with the Ruger design than I am! Does your trigger have an overtravel stop setscrew in it? Had

issues once with a Mark II which suddenly would not fire. Turns out this setscrew had moved out of position over time (it went in the wrong direction). Readjusted it after putting some blue

Loc-Tite on the threads. No more trouble afterwards. Could your problem be as simple as mine was ?
rmca

Re: Ruger Mark II won't fire....

Post by rmca »

Chef247 wrote:I put in a Volquartzen disconnect as I found the original hanging up.
I suspect that the disconnector is the guilty part in this. Check the trigger weight with and without the barrel. It should be the same. If its ligther with the barrel on then the disconnector is not grabbing the sear.

The disconnector may need some fitting.

Hope this helps